5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2007 6:59 AM by Molaa

WebHelp - What Files Need to be Posted on the Sever

Molaa Level 1
      Hello,

can anyone tell me what files & folders I need to post to the sever to enable my project to run. I have just developed a small project and in the folder where it is saved there are two folders and 44 other files inc the .xpj file.

Can you help

Tony
        • 1. Re: WebHelp - What Files Need to be Posted on the Sever
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi Tony. When you use the publish function it copies all the required files to the location you specified. This is different from the output from the compile. Therefore you can either set the location of your publish to the server or just FTP copy the files from the publish directory.
          • 2. Re: WebHelp - What Files Need to be Posted on the Sever
            MergeThis Level 4
            Colum neglected to stress that ALL files and folders that get generated and/ot published are required for proper viewing of the help.

However, the .xpj file that you mentioned is your source project file, and should NOT be in the output directory.

Good luck,
            Leon
            • 3. Re: WebHelp - What Files Need to be Posted on the Sever
              Molaa Level 1
              Colum & Leon I fear that I have missed a step in the process.

What I have done so far is produced my First Topic (the welcome screen) placed three books (one nested inside the other) and in the final book added a topic which consists of an Excel sheet which has been converted to .html format.

To ensure that the changes took effect I clicked on the View Primary Layout button and I was given the prompt ‘WebHelp output is out of date. Would you like to compile before running’ I clicked yes. RoboHelp then generated / compiled the project and I checked to see that the changes took effect.

I then went to the relevant folder on the sever and delete the previous version and pasted in all the files and folders from the ‘development’ folder.

As you can see I have missed out on the Publish function and have also failed to locate it! So that is my first concern.

When I copied the files I copied ALL the files & folders (high level) – to be more precise the [!SkinSubFolder!] & [!SSL!] folders and Files.

Would I be correct in saying that I should have only copied the files and folders within the [WebHelp] folder (i.e. \!SSL!\WebHelp\) and have the link from the intranet page point to my first topic.

Newbie at this end
              • 4. Re: WebHelp - What Files Need to be Posted on the Sever
                RoboColum(n) Level 5
                Hi Molaa. You are getting confused between the output files and the output that is published. Don't worry about that though as we have all been there. When you compile, the output is written to the location specified in the first field of the properties wizzard (right click on your Webhelp single source layout folder and select Properties). The publish location is setup later in the properties wizzard. From what you have posted, you have created the output but not published it to the server. Then as you say, you just ensure the link points to the published output file that takes its name from your project (e.g. projectname.htm). Hope this helps but post back if you have any problems.
                • 5. Re: WebHelp - What Files Need to be Posted on the Sever
                  Molaa Level 1
                  Thanks Colum, that has hit the nail on the head:)