10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 1:40 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 10: Pixellated Video ...

HirschV

Got the video from my camera which was recorded at "Standard HQ" (Sony HD video camera). When I was done adding Titles and End Credits, streamed it out to my hard drive, and then copied to a DVD. I played the DVD and it was a bit pixellated -- straight lines at an angle have jaggies, etc. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10: Pixellated Video ...
          A.T. Romano Level 7

HirschV

What are you setting as the project preset in the New Project dialog to match the properties of your source media?

What are the properties of your source media?

Please define "Standard HQ". Or, name the model/settings of the Sony camera that is recording the source media. I suspect that the "HQ" is the camera setting for ? model.

What is your export...burn to DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc, DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc, or other?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10: Pixellated Video ...
            HirschV Level 1

Project settings:

ProjectSettings1.png

I didn't change any settings here ... this is the active project. These are the "New Project" settings:

NewProject.png

I copied an existing project for this one, because it had the titles and end credit items that I have used in the past, and I didn't want to start from scratch, just edit existing. Is it possible to change settings at that point? Or ...?

The camera doesn't list in the menus what the actual settings are ... There is a higher quality setting that is very high resolution from what I can see, but I don't know what the differences are. Digging through the manual (after finding it) ... Standard "HQ" seems to be "1440x1080/60i, AVC HD9M (HQ)" (whatever this last part is) ... I can't go back and re-record (was recording a one-off performance of a show). The "Highest Quality" is "1920x1080/60i AVC HD24M (FX)".

Export is Burn to Folder (4.7GB -- standard DVD), NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

Hope that gives enough info ... obviously I am an amateur, but want to get the best possible quality I can out of what I've been working with.

Thanks!

Ken

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10: Pixellated Video ...
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ken

I think that there are some mismatching of video properties and project settings going on here. And, there are some unexplained inconsistencies in the information conveyed in the screenshots.

1. You are using Premiere Elements 10 where you set the project preset to match the properties of your source media. Once that is set what you see in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General should correspond to the project preset that you set. In what you presented it does not. Compare

a. Project Settings of 720 x 480 16:9 Widescreen

with

b. What you have showing in the New Project dialog 1280 x 720 16:9.

2. Then you say that your Standard HQ setting seems to be 1440 x 1080 60i. You need to try to reconcile these values to move forward to success.

But for now...let us assume that your video is characterized by 1440 x 1080 60i...

1. In the New Project dialog, set the project preset for

NTSC

AVCHD

HD 1080i30

(That is representing your 1440 x 1080 60i footage....for all intents and purposes you cannot change a project preset once it has been established...more on

that another time.)

Import your footage.

2. Then use your export choice of

Disc

DVD disc

with preset NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

We can fine tune the information to get the best results once we firm up the details.

We will be watching for your results. Please do not hesitate to ask if any questions or need clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 10: Pixellated Video ...
                HirschV Level 1

How do I copy my titles over to the new project? I put a lot of work into those ... I tried copy from the old project, and paste in the new, but that didn't work. Is it possible to export those and then bring them in, or do I really need to re-create them?

Thanks again!

Ken

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 10: Pixellated Video ...
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ken

If you are using a Windows computer, you can do a copy/paste insert between project using ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements. Please

review the details for doing that in the following

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

But the easier way....and probably preferred way would be...if you created the titles in the Premiere Elements Titler

Select the title's thumbnail in project media

Go to File Menu/Export/Title and export the title as a .prtl file to the computer hard drive.

You should be able to import that .prtl file into a new Premiere Elements project using the Premiere Elements 10 Get Media/Files and Folders.

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 10: Pixellated Video ...
                    HirschV Level 1

Thanks -- I actually did some experimentation this morning, and was able to export them, and bring them in to the new project. Burning a DVD now to test the video on my DVD player/TV ... appreciate the help! Hopefully the resolution issue is resolved, we'll see.

Ken

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 10: Pixellated Video ...
                      HirschV Level 1

Well, a bit of testing, and I am wondering if maybe the problem is just the "upconvert" of the bluray DVD player, in which case I am not sure there is much I can do. The pixellation is still happening. I may just have to make sure when I shoot the next video that the resolution setting for the camera is at a higher resolution, and run from there.

Thanks again --

Ken

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 10: Pixellated Video ...
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

HirschV

Thanks for the follow ups.

At this point, I think that you should consider re-evaluating your situation.

a. What are the properties of the video that I am recording and wanting to take to DVD, assumed DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

If it turns out to be 720 x 480, then try for a higher resolution recording setting. But, in the final analysis, the disc will have the specifications

of the end product format. If you are really recording at 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, that is a 1920 x 1080 display. Alternative would

be 1920 x 1080 16:9 which would also have the 1920 x 1080 display but would not have to depend on a 16:9 flag to stretch the video for

display after encoding to 1920 x 1080 since it is that already.

b. Am I depending on TV technology to upconvert the DVD-VIDEO on DVD to something it is not? If so, are there any upconverting settings

to be adjusted?

c. Do I want to produce a AVCHD format on DVD disc for playback on a TV-Blu-ray player or one of those multi-media players

that supports AVCHD format on DVD disc? There you could have your 1920 x 1080 display.

d. Do we want to get involved with Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc? There you could have your 1920 x 1080 display.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 10: Pixellated Video ...
                          HirschV Level 1

Sorry I didn't get back to this ... been crazy (last week was Finals at the school I teach at).

I think since these days most people can handle 1920x1080, etc., that would be the goal. I don't currently have the ability to burn Blu-ray, although I imagine somewhere down the road that will be likely.

Watched the video with the acting troupe and they didn't mind the pixellation. I think I just have to remember the next time to check the camera settings, and we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the help!

Ken

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 10: Pixellated Video ...
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ken

Thanks for the reply.

Whenever you want to discuss fine tuning your Premiere Elements workflows, please do not hesitate to post.

We can get into the discussions at whatever pace you want.

Best wishes

ATR