8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 12:55 PM by A.T. Romano

serial number invalid for elements premiere

mettaphyzical

recently had to troubleshoot my laptop and I had elements installed on it. now it says the serial number is invalid and that the previous number was already used. what do I need to do to reinstall my paid for product.

• 1. Re: serial number invalid for elements premiere
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mettaphyzical

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

There is a difference between an invalid serial number and one that you already have activated on 2 of your computers.

1. Adobe allows you to use the same purchased activated serial number on no more than 2 of your computers. If you want to

install that same purchased serial on a 3rd computer, then you have to deactivate it from one of the other 2 computers before

you can install it on this 3rd computer. Is that the core of your issue?

2. As for invalid serial number....are you getting this message when you are installing the program on your computer and the 2 computer

business is not involved?

3. Excuse the question, but I do not want to take anything for granted. Did you purchase Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements

together and are confusing the serial numbers? Each should come with its own serial number.

Please review and consider and supply more details for us to help you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: serial number invalid for elements premiere
            mettaphyzical Level 1

I have the program running on my desktop and a laptop. my desktop is

running on windows 7 and my laptop is running with windows 8.1.

the version I purchased is adobe elements 12

I did install it on 2 computers, but my laptop recently got sick so I had

to troubleshoot it. the program is no longer installed on my laptop.

I tried to reinstall to my laptop but it says my serial number is

incorrect. I have all the original information that came in the software

box I purchased at office depot. and im using the same laptop.

no I did not purchase adobe premiere and premiere elements together. it did

come with photoshop 12, but that was just a preview of the software. I

never installed photoshop 12

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 8:57 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: serial number invalid for elements premiere
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you did not DE-activate on your laptop, the Adobe activation server thinks you have 2 activations active, and will not let you install and activate a 3rd time

Select a topic, then click I STILL NEED HELP to start Premiere Elements Online chat to release your "phantom" activation

-http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?step=PRE

• 4. Re: serial number invalid for elements premiere
                A.T. Romano Level 7

mettaphyzical

Thanks for the reply.

I think that John is mistaken in that you will get help on this matter from Adobe Chat since you are not dealing with the current version which is 13. But, it is worth

the try to contact Adobe Chat to find out whether the representative that you reach will help you or bounce you to Ask the Community (which is us, user to user).

This does not sound like a typical case of the purchased activated serial number on more than 2 of your computers since....

a. the uninstall and attempted reinstall are all on the same laptop

b. you say that there was never more than 2 computers ever involved with that same purchased activated serial number.

If no help from Adobe Chat, you could try a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) and then try for the

reinstall with antivirus and firewire disabled. By the way, is there any evidence of Premiere Elements 12 still listed under Control Panel installed programs?

By the way, did you verify that the laptop issue exists with and without its antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Please update us on your progress when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: serial number invalid for elements premiere
                  mettaphyzical Level 1

THANK YOU FOR RESONDING

NO THERES NOTHING SHOWING ON THE CONTROL PANEL. IVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 7:33 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 6. Re: serial number invalid for elements premiere
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

mettaphyzical

Have you had any success with contacting Adobe Chat and it agreeing to be of assistance in this matter?

Right now you have the packaging for Premiere Elements 12 that you have purchased and the serial number on

that packaging is not working to install the product on the laptop.

If you have Premiere Elements installed on your desktop and had it installed on the laptop, it was likely registered

automatically at Adobe when the program were installed.

If you  have not already, go to Adobe web site http://www.adobe.com, sign in, in the Search field type My Products.

Follow the My Products link to your products. In your products find Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and click on it to

reveal the serial number. Does what you find agree with the serial number that you are trying to use to install 12 on the laptop?

Any chance you have more than one Adobe account, each with a different ID and Password?

ATR

• 7. Re: serial number invalid for elements premiere
                      mettaphyzical Level 1

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING

THE THING IS I HAD ADOBE PREMEIRE ELEMENTS INSTALLED ORIGINALLY ON BOTH MY

LAPTOP AND DESKTOP.

MY LAPTOP RESENTLY GOT SICK SO I HAD TO TROUBLESHOOT AND I DID NOT

UNINSTALL THE PROGRAM BEFORE SO.

FROM WHAT I HEARD IT IS CALLED A GHOST INSTALL.

I CANNOT FIND IT ANYWHERE ON MY LAPTOP BECAUSE IT NO LONGER EXIST ON HERE.

I DID REGISTER THE SOFTWARE ON ADOBE BUT IT DOES NOT SHOW IT ON MY ACCOUNT.

IVE BEEN TRYING FOR WEEKS TO JUST GET ANOTHER SERIAL NUMBER AND NO ONE

SEEMS TO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO DO. AND YOUR PHONE OPERATER DOES NOT HELP

WITH THIS KIND OF SOFTWARE.

WEIRD.

SO MY NEXT QUESTION IS HOW CAN I GET MY MONEY BACK FOR THE PROGRAM?

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 5:39 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 8. Re: serial number invalid for elements premiere
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

mettaphyzical

Thanks for the follow. Sorry that the news was not better.

But, this is not Adobe. Rather a user to user forum.

1. When you went looking for your serial number at Adobe, did you look under My Products as I suggested or did you look under My Orders instead.

I wrote:

If you  have not already, go to Adobe web site http://www.adobe.com, sign in, in the Search field type My Products.

Follow the My Products link to your products. In your products find Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and click on it to

reveal the serial number.

If there is no serial number, nothing can be done.

2. Since you have Premiere Elements 12, not the current version, keep in mind that Adobe typically supports only the latest version (now 13).

3. As for money back

a. Are you within 30 days of purchase from Adobe direct? Unlikely if you have version 12. If you were and this was the latest version, you

could request return/refund from the online Adobe Chat Orders. And, if you had purchased from an authorized reseller, then you would have

to deal with the return/refund policy of the seller.

b. Return/Refund is up to Adobe. In spite of your situation, you could contact Adobe to describe your situation. Ask for a supervisor if necessary.

In this situation, Adobe is the only one who can help you.

When you registered your product originally, were you using the same Adobe ID and Password that you are currently using?

ATR