4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 4:26 PM by Gordon Fecyk

PE13 on Windows 8.1 and non-admin or UAC issues?

Gordon Fecyk

Before I try to evaluate Premiere Elements 13 64-bit, I want to ask if lingering problems related to UAC and non-admin user accounts were resolved since version 11.

It's good to see a 64-bit version of Elements come out since then.

• 1. Re: PE13 on Windows 8.1 and non-admin or UAC issues?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gordon Fecyk

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Not sure what you mean by:

It's good to see a 64-bit version of Elements come out since then.

assume you mean version 11. So in that case....

Premiere Elements Windows 10, 11, 12, and 13 are 64 bit applications when installed and run on specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Other Windows versions are 32 bit applications in 32 bit system or 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of 64 bit system. On the Mac side of things,  it is my recollection that Premiere Elements 11 Mac was the first to be a 64 bit application when run on Mac 64 bit system.

It is my understanding that nothing has changed over the versions with regard to Premiere Elements and the matter of "UAC and non-admin accounts". Probably Microsoft would be a good source on that. Recent threads seem to suggest that Premiere Elements is not working with Domain accounts.

This is not Adobe. Rather a user to user forum. If you want to contact Adobe about your feature requests, you could consider the Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&loc=en

When you have specific problems with aspects of your Premiere Elements 13 purchased or tryout, we would be glad for the opportunity to be of assistance. Definitely recommend tryout before purchase to assure the compatibility of your program with your specific computer environment and your project goals.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE13 on Windows 8.1 and non-admin or UAC issues?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know, you MUST use an account with Administrator Privileges to run Premiere Elements

• 3. Re: PE13 on Windows 8.1 and non-admin or UAC issues?
              Gordon Fecyk Level 1

Fortunately, I can say just running Premiere Elements 13 64-bit doesn't require administrator rights or UAC turned off. Also, it seems Adobe's changed some of their troubleshooting advice since I evaluated PE11, omitting the parts about turning UAC off and running as admin. Nice to see some improvements.

The only glitch I ran into so far, was long audio lagging when working with video clips captured as MPEG 2; the audio would progressively lag further and further into a recording. This was because the tool used to record the clips incorrectly tagged the frame rate as 60 FPS when it was really the NTSC standard of 59.94 FPS. I found a tool to fix that and audio lag is no longer a problem.

The installer ran into troubles, but that was a problem with the VC++ 2010 runtime component not installing. After fixing the cause and hand-installing the VC++ components, the PE13 installer completed without fault.

• 4. Re: Re: PE13 on Windows 8.1 and non-admin or UAC issues?
                Gordon Fecyk Level 1

A.T. Romano wrote:

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

I should hope so, considering the title of my question had "Windows 8.1" in it.   And I'm trying to test v13, not v11, which was again in the title.

Back in 2013 when I first looked at Premiere Elements, the application had this to say to me:

PleaseFixYour[Censored]Adobe.png

This would have been an embarrassment in 2009 when Windows 7 came out, never mind in 2013. Even Roxio's Creator suite ran without requiring admin access, even if it had its own problems. Non-admin and UAC are now standard op on Windows, much like on MacOS, though I forgot what Apple calls the feature.

So I'm glad to see Adobe up their game by fixing Premiere Elements in v13. I wanted a community answer on UAC and non-admin, which is why I posted the question here.

At least, I'm finding that PE13 behaves a lot better than PE11 did, letting me run the installer with "Run as Administrator" and then letting me run the application as a non-admin, and not just telling me to go to Hell in a dialog box.

--