5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 6:42 AM by c.pfaffenbichler

Can Batch Processing be used on images of vastly different sizes and qualities?

Sunfire Totem Level 1

Hello!

I am working a freelance project at the moment which stated off as quite a simple task. The employer just needed a specific border around 20,000 + images that are for an organisation that is run.

When I began to receive batches of the images, which were all of very different qualities, sizes, some just screen grabs from facebook, flickr, etc.. etc.. and some from artists as well... it seemed that there was going to be no way to simplify the task as each image needed basically to be edited by eye. As, for example, a 2 x 2 inch frame canvas would work fine for some images and then appear much thinner on others.. there was no consistency.

To the job description was suddenly added colour enhancement, retouching, removal of watermarks and logos already on images (illegal??), etc, etc..

The employer is unhappy to say the least about the amount of time it is taking me to turn over these images.. as she is 75 and nearly computer illiterate obviously..

But I am wondering if I am doing something wrong... if there is a way to batch process randomly sized, etc.. images and then to deal with the necessary applied text that goes with each of them.

I really need some help and advice. I met with a friend who's an experience photoshop user and he seemed to be of the opinion  that it could not be done any quicker than I am already processing.. individually.. and now, with great stress and time consumption.  If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful!!!!

Thank you,

Elena

• 1. Re: Can Batch Processing be used on images of vastly different sizes and qualities?
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8
          removal of watermarks and logos already on images (illegal??)

That assumption seems to be well founded.

if there is a way to batch process randomly sized, etc.. images and then to deal with the necessary applied text that goes with each of them.

It depends …

Do you have a fixed target size?

Can you elaborate on the process you need to run (the frame, the text, …)?

Is the output intended for the web or print?

a 2 x 2 inch frame canvas would work fine for some images and then appear much thinner on others..

You could for example use Image Size (without Resample) and Fit Image to homogenise the sizes and resolutions of the images.

• 2. Re: Can Batch Processing be used on images of vastly different sizes and qualities?
            Sunfire Totem Level 1

Thank you... the conundrum of how to approach this project still stands although you are helping to shed some light.

There is no fixed target size other than "LARGE" as the client continues to demand. Whatever 'large' is supposed to mean is beyond me. So from reviewing some of her image banks I have found an image that seem more than adequate in size considering the format and design of the quite archaic and chaotic website. If you have the time, here is the link to one of the pages of the site that showcases and image that I will be explaining below. 480162 476289345763537 1932309750 n | Welcome to Festival of Arts' فستیوال هنر Gallery of THE PHOTOART

I hope you can see the image of the fish stuck in the netting. With the inspect element tool, the image is sized on the site as being792 x 534px. This seems an adequate size to me to showcase an image considering the layout of the website. But when I pull this image into Photoshop the sizing immediately reads 950 x 641px. Then I increase resolution to 100px resulting in an image of 1319 x 890px. Unfortunately we cannot get the scale of the image here.. because it is too big for this forum.

fishnetlarge.jpg

Next I have to frame the image in a particular fashion, that is what the client has requested and was designed by a previous editor. This is how it looks....

fishnetoriginalframe.jpg

Although, you cannot see it here.. there is a 3 inch white border canvas that the image sits on. It has a 2px stroke and a 90 degree shadow.

The output is intended exclusively for web. The text is added to the bottom of the frame, usually on the left hand side in english to allow for arabic to be printed on the right.... so depending on how much text there is to insert, the bottom part of the frame needs to be elongated by quite a few inches. The target size output needs to be between 594 x 594px or bigger for square images, 792 x 534px or larger for rectangular images.. and then there are the wild card narrow and long images.

Will it be possible to set up some sort of batch processing for this.... at least for the majority, and then go back and make amendments to the images that require extra touch ups or text? The problem is the quality that the photo's come in cannot be guaranteed. Would it be possible for you to help me create a test project on a batch of photos as I have a bundle that can be used to see if we can make this thing work?

I hope my message isn't too confusing. And I HOPE that some aide is available to assuage my madness! THANK YOU!

• 3. Re: Can Batch Processing be used on images of vastly different sizes and qualities?
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

If you want to/should resample images you need to figure out yourself but scaling them with Image Size (to set them to the same resolution for example), then using Canvas Size to create the black 2px border (alternatively you could do that with a Layer Style, too, though the corners might get round if you use Outside Stroke), converting the Background Layer to a regular Layer, making the white 3inch border with Canvas Size again and adding a Layer Style Drop Shadow to the Layer should work fine in an Action.

• 4. Re: Can Batch Processing be used on images of vastly different sizes and qualities?
                Sunfire Totem Level 1

I am going to give it a go. Thank you so much. Although you may be hearing from me again

• 5. Re: Can Batch Processing be used on images of vastly different sizes and qualities?
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

You’re welcome, if additional questions/issues with this task arise let us know.

Good luck!