2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2015 1:24 PM by Rick Gerard

Black & White to Colour

Meira A

There is this idea I've been meaning to flesh out, but I'm not too sure how to do it in After Effects.

The gist of it is that the film is in black and white and the main character is  able to turn what he touches into colour. How would I be able to do that in After Effects?

To have it so that when he is in contact with an object, the colour slowly returns to what has been touched.

Would this be an easy effect to learn? A step by step instruction would be nice.

Thanks!

------

Also, not really AE related, but if you know any movies that has this kind of effect I'm talking about, please leave some recs. I'd love to get some inspiration.

I think the only movie that comes to my mind is Pleasantville.

• 1. Re: Black & White to Colour
          shooternz Level 6

Thats a pretty  easy thing to do in Post ( AEFX) and some one will point you in the right direction for that.

I would just say you will make it even easier with well considered art direction, sets, wardrobe.  Specifically..the colors in the scenes and the key opbjects.

I assume you are thinking and know to shoot this in color and the process is backward from your Post heading.

• 2. Re: Black & White to Colour
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Shoot in color, apply black and white effect, use mask tracker to reveal color.

If you shoot without understanding the limitations of the technique involved you will be stuck doing hours of roto to isolate the color effects  in the scene.