7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 6:55 AM by Szalam

AfterEffects won't playback rendered video at full speed.

EvanZazula

Hi,

If I hit play on a video and let it render (let the timeline turn green) when it finishes rendering it will max out at about 20fps, not reaching full 24p. Im wondering if this is a problem in the program or with my computer or possibly a setting I need to change. I doubt it is my system because it seems that my system is powerful enough to play back pro res 422 video without any effects on it at 24p.

System Specs:

MacPro Mid 2012

2x 2.4GHz 6-Core Xeon

12GB ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (with latest web drivers, and compatible cuda drivers)

Yosemite and latest AE version.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

• 1. Re: AfterEffects won't playback rendered video at full speed.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'll bet your using the space bar. That's not how you do a ram preview. If you are indeed doing a ram preview then what is the comp panel zoom factor and resolution?

• 2. Re: AfterEffects won't playback rendered video at full speed.
            EvanZazula Level 1

Yes I am using the spacebar, ram previews playback fine but take a long time to render, even without any effects applied. My disk cashe is on an ssd, shouldn't playback be full 24p if it had a chance to run through and render?

• 3. Re: AfterEffects won't playback rendered video at full speed.
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

At full resolution your space bar will not playback at full speed on most systems. Set the comp panel zoom factor, first option on the bottom right, to 50% for an HD comp, and the comp resolution to auto and you might get 24fps playback. AE is not an editing app and until the whole rendering engine changes it's probably not a good idea to expect real time playback from anything but a ram preview.

If your ram previews are taking a lot longer than it takes to render the same number of frames by pressing the space bar then your memory and MP settings are probably not right.

• 4. Re: AfterEffects won't playback rendered video at full speed.
                EvanZazula Level 1

I see, Thank you!

Just out of curiosity, what hardware is used when you press the space bar to render? (ram, cpu, gpu)

• 5. Re: AfterEffects won't playback rendered video at full speed.
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Considering that hitting the space bar isn't a proper RAM Preview, the hardware it uses is sort of a moot point.

A proper RAM Preview is done by hitting the zero key on the numeric keypad.  AE then renders as many frames in the comp's Work Area as the amount of memory allows, then it plays them back as fast as it can, up to the frame rate of the comp.

• 6. Re: AfterEffects won't playback rendered video at full speed.
                    EvanZazula Level 1

Thanks for all the help, but the thing that still baffles me is that even with just plain ProRes video (no effects or adjustments made) I get extremely slow render speeds for playback, ram preview, and output renders.

• 7. Re: AfterEffects won't playback rendered video at full speed.
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

EvanZazula wrote:

The thing that still baffles me is that even with just plain ProRes video (no effects or adjustments made) I get extremely slow render speeds for playback, ram preview, and output renders.

That's because AE is not video editing software and does not work at all like video editing software.

INCOMING LONG EXPLANATION (borrowed from Rick Gerard):

Sony Vegas, Premiere Pro, Final Cut, Avid are all NLE's (Non Linear Editors) and they are specifically designed to playback a video stream. With any of them, if you stack enough layers or effects on the video they will have to render a new video stream based on pixel based calculations for every pixel in the stack. This rendering, especially for HD sources or for complex plug-ins, will take quite a bit of time.

After Effects, Flame, Fusion, Shake -- are all pixel based image processing applications that act very much like Photoshop. They calculate the values of every pixel in every frame, come up with a new pixel, and then play those pixels back as a video stream. More importantly, AE and all the other pixel based compositing apps, always work internally with completely uncompressed pixel data. NLE's rely on codecs and in some cases, hardware, to playback the video. It's an entirely different way of working with moving images.