9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 9:14 AM by A.T. Romano

Unable to play video: Codec not installed?

MarilouAb

I am unable to load movie MPG file. (recorded from our Sony Camcorder). Error message says: The selected file cannot be played because your system does not have the required compressor/decompressor or the codec is not installed." I have Quick Time Player V 7 on my Mac OS 10.8.  What do I do next? Please help

• 1. Re: Unable to play video: Codec not installed?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1 - duplicate message deleted, please do not post the same question twice

2 - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: Unable to play video: Codec not installed?
            MarilouAb Level 1

The video file is a movie clip of my grandkids recorded from a Sony Camcorder (mpg files). Here is the screenshot of the error message.  Also the Premiere Elements Program keeps on crashing on me when I click on Video Editor from the Elements Organizer.

Here is the screen shot of the error message when I play the video in Elements Organizer:Error Message in Premiere Elements.png

• 3. Re: Unable to play video: Codec not installed?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MarilouAb

What version of Premiere Elements are you using on your Mac computer? Tryout or purchased?

Please confirm that your codec and crashing issues reside in the Elements Organizer 13 and not the Premiere Elements 13 Editor.

Also, let us know if you have ever been able to get into the Premiere Elemens 13 Editor?

It is important make that distinction to decide the troubleshooting strategy.

What is the model/settings for the Sony camcorder that is recording this video?

Pending further information, in view of your use of Mac, I would suggest that you convert these .mpg files into H.264.mov or H.264.mp4 files.

A free HandBrake program should be able to do that for you quickly and easily.

https://handbrake.fr/

But let us make sure the we are in sync with the above to make sure we are heading in the correct direction for issue resolution.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Unable to play video: Codec not installed?
                MarilouAb Level 1

Thank you for your quick responses and here the answers to your questions:

1) I am using Premiere Elements 13 and I purchased the CD with 2 discs (Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13 and registered the software with Adobe.

2) The crashing issues I believe reside in the Premiere Elements 13 Editor. I am able to upload photos in the Elements Organizer and create slideshows. The crash happens when I open the Video Editor from Elements Organizer and Premiere Elements program starts to open, then crashes! Here is a screen shot of the crash report. I have never been able to get into Premiere Elements 13 Editor since it crashes as soon is the software starts to open.  Please help and trouble shoot! Below is a screenshot of the latest crash report.

I am using using a MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.5; Memory 8GB; Processor 2.66 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo; 299GB of Free Storage

3) The model of our Sony Camcorder is Sony Handycam DCR-SX63

Thank you in advance for your help. Very much appreciated!

Crash Message Adobe Premiere Elements Editor.png

• 5. Re: Unable to play video: Codec not installed?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MarilouAb

Thanks for the reply.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user but I do try to find common ground between Windows and Mac versions to troubleshoot since the two have a lot in common.

But there are differences.

For clarification...if you open only Premiere Elements 13 Editor, not Elements Organizer 13, can you import jpg stills and your MPEG2 videos and use them in

a project without issue? I realize that you have said that Elements Organizer 13 to Premiere Elements 13 Editor - crash. What are you sending over to Premiere Elements 13 Editor from the Elements Organizer 13 when the crash occurs?

The first thing that flares out at me is what appears to be the MPEG2 video source in a Mac computer environment. If you convert one of those files to .mov or .mp4, do your Premiere Elements 13 Editor issue disappear? If you have an all jpeg still Timeline, do your Premiere Elements Editor issues disappear? If you just hit Video, followed by New Project in the Welcome Screen, does the program crash?

I have no experience reading those crash reports and do much better with the troubleshooting asking questions related to observed workflow and performance details when the issue presents.

Please review and consider the above and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Unable to play video: Codec not installed?
                    MarilouAb Level 1

Thank you A.T. Romano.

My problem is that I cannot and have not been able to get into Premiere

Elements. Everytime I double click to get into the Premiere Elements 13

program in the Program Application Menu, it crashes.

What should I do? Do I uninstall and reinstall the software again?

I have done that once but should I try it again?

Please advice!

Marilou A.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 1:12 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 7. Re: Unable to play video: Codec not installed?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Marilou/Ab

Let us delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file to see if that has impact on the issue.

In the Mac, I believe the route is Users/Owner/Libraries/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.

If that has no impact on the crashes on opening failures, then go for the

Uninstall

free ccleaner run through

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download?mac

and the reinstall (with as appropriate for Mac, antivirus and firewalls disabled)

Not sure of the security features of Mac, but please check the permissions as they apply to Mac files.

Once you get the program open, then we should turn our attention to the files being imported and evaluate the need

to convert your MPEG2.mpg (if that is your source) into H.264.mov or H.264.mp4 with other software before importing MPEG2.mpg into

Premiere Elements Mac.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Unable to play video: Codec not installed?
                        MarilouAb Level 1

Mr. Romano,

I uninstalled, did the ccleaner run through and reinstalled and I am still

having the same problem. It says software successfully installed and when I

try to get into the program, it crashes with the message "Premiere Elements

quit unexpectedly." 

Please let me know the next steps. Should I try to download the online

version and put my disc serial number on it? Would that possibly work?

Thanks for all your help and await your response.

Marilou Aballe

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 8:33 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 9. Re: Unable to play video: Codec not installed?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Marilou

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry that the uninstall/reinstall was not the issue to the Premiere Elements 13 issue.

Please remind me whether or not you are working from a school or company network.

Also, assure....if applicable

1. Does problem exist with or without antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

2. Are you using a pen and tablet device or mouse for your computer?

3. Video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to web site of manufacturer of the card?

Then go for the installation files change.

a. tryout from Adobe http://www.adobe.com

or

b. http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-13-direct-download-links-premiere.html

with this route, be sure to read and carry out carefully the web site's "Note: Very Important Instructions" to avoid an Access Denied message.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR