3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 11:51 AM by SAFEHARBOR11

Encoding Speed

TVPOA Chan3 Level 1

Recently I have been conducting experiments to find the best settings to encode into MPEG2 DVD from original tapes recorded at the normal DV tape speed.

For these experiments I have used a Sony DSR PD170 & Panasonic PVGS120 camcorders to shoot DV tapes for a later DVD with menus. I recorded one minute as close as possible the same scene that included a zoom from full wide to full telephoto.

I have been using Premiere Pro CC 2014 & Media Encoder CC2014 but have not done any editing but just generated a sequence for each tape source.

One of my major conclusions is that when a Sony DSR 11 is used to capture either tape the encode times are almost twice as long as when the Panasonic camcorder is used. For each 1 min selection the Sony encode time was 2:52 vs 1:37 for camcorder. The image quality was approximately equal when the encoded files are viewed.

Because of this I was searching for any possible drivers upgrades for the DSR 11 but was not able to locate any.

First question does this make any sense to anyone?

Second does anyone know if any updated drivers have been made in about the 5 years we have been using the DSR 11?

I would be happy to discuss my other findings here on the forum.

My System

Hewlett-Packard - p7-1520t

CPU Intel i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz,, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor

Windows 8.1 Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600 64bit

Memory 8.00 GB

2 Disks OS:500GB, Data 1TB

• 1. Re: Encoding Speed
          shooternz Level 6

How is the DSR11 and the Camera connected. when you "capture" the footage.

The DSR11 if connected via firewire should be "capturing " digital DV natively ie digital bit for bit.

Around about 13GB per hour of DV.

What is the camera "capturing"?

DSR11 is hardware and I never was aware of Drivers or firmware for the device when I owned and used them ( way back in the day)

I never used any DV  cameras as post production device for capture or replay.  The potential tape head wear was the reason.

Your I5 CPU is never going to be the fastest "encoder".  Lok there first

• 2. Re: Encoding Speed
            TVPOA Chan3 Level 1

Thanks for your response!

The camera in both cases was capturing to DV tape a view I made in my Office.

The DSR11 or my Panasonic camcorder were  connected to the computer via same firewire cable plugged into the device.

I was aware that there are faster CPU than my I5 but the difference between the DSR & camcorder surprised me. When I contacted HP Support that tech said he thought there was some corruption in the source, altho the end resulting video seemed comparable.   On My last encodes using my camcorder I was taking about 1.5 hours for a 1 hour clip. which I considered normal.

• 3. Re: Encoding Speed
              SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

DV is DV is DV - capture deck model should make absolutely no difference in file size or encode times of DV .avi files captured via 1394. Also makes no difference whether there are zooms in the footage - you are thinking too hard about this ;-)

Having used DV cameras since the late 90s, I've never experienced the issues you bring up and don't have an answer as to why anything would be different between render times from different DV clips. Might be some workflow issue/variance being overlooked.

Have never used an i5 to edit/encode, but even an older i7 could encode an hour of DV video to MPEG2-DVD in less than 10 minutes (with no effects, fast drives). My encoding did speed up when I changed from 8GB to 16GB memory.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers