13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 11:13 AM by norman.sanders

Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP

Angiea1114 Level 1

20150111_221316.jpg

All of a sudden when rotating an object the white boundary boxes are not staying with the object which is causing me tons of problems!!  How do I fix this?

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Have no idea without being able to see you document's layer structure all we can do is make guesses my guess is rour rotating a cyan shape layer that has no white stroke or layer style.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP
            Angiea1114 Level 1

%20150112_004331.jpg

I am not sure if this picture is any better.  I appreciate your help.  This is just a scrapbooking template and these are all just layers that I can clip photos to. It is hard to see in the photo but the white boundary boxes are NOT staying with the rotated layer like they use to.  IT is easier to see in the top photo.  I use templates like this one 90% of the time, I do basic shadowing, and things like that - nothing in depth yet, so I'm not sure what I did that this setting all of a sudden changed yesterday. Someone else mentioned that it may be something where I have to go into preferences and change the boundary settings?  I couldn't find anything related to boundaries in preferences.  Any help would be appreciated!

• 3. Re: Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP
              Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JJ,

I tested this on my system and apparently they did away with the reset bound box feature. It is now auto reset each time the transform is committed.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2014.2.2 20141204.r.310 2014/12/04:23:59:59 CL 994532  x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP

Photoshop is working correctly with what I see in your screen capture You have 5 normal pixel layers.  One is named Background but is a normal layer for a background layer does not support transparency therefore can not be transformed like your showing  so its a normal layer and transparency is not locked.  No layer has an un linked layer mask so when they are transformed all visible pixels can be moved the layer position is not mask to a location. note these screen captures. Background locked can not be transformed image layers mask to a location with un linked layer mask.

Capture.jpg

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP
                  Angiea1114 Level 1

I apologize...I posted the wrong picture...

In the first picture here, all I did was rotate the layer.  Usually when I do this, and hit enter, the boundary boxes stay where they are.20150112_151414.jpg

Now, after I hit enter, the boundary boxes change to these positions ..   HELP!

20150112_151337.jpg

• 6. Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP

There are many way to make templated to populate one like you have a background layer with placement layers above you need to add images and clip them to the placement layers.

Capture.jpg

I create mine with differently to allow automated population.

Photo Collage Toolkit

Photoshop scripting is powerful and I believe this package demonstrates this A video showing a 5 image collage PSD template  being populates with images:

The package includes four simple rules to follow when making Photo Collage Template PSD files so they will be compatible with my Photoshop scripts.

1. Size the photo collage templates for the print size you want - width, height and print DPI resolution.
                    2. Photo collage templates must have a Photoshop background layer. The contents of this layer can be anything.
                    3. Photo collage templates must have alpha channels named "Image 1", "Image 2", ... "Image n".
                    4. Photo collage templates layers above the background layers must provide transparent areas to let the images that will be placed below them show through.

There are twelve scripts in this package they provide the following functions:

1. TestCollageTemplate.jsx - Used to test a Photo Collage Template while you are making it with Photoshop.
                    2. CollageTemplateBuilder.jsx - Can build Templates compatible with this toolkit's scripts.
                    3. LayerToAlphaChan.jsx - Used to convert a Prototype Image Layer stack into a template document.
                    4. InteractivePopulateCollage.jsx - Used to interactively populate Any Photo Collage template. Offers most user control inserting pictures and text.
                    5. ReplaceCollageImage.jsx - use to replace a populated collage image Smart Object layer with an other image correctly resized and positioned.
                    6. ChangeTextSize.jsx - This script can be used to change Image stamps text size when the size used by the populating did not work well.
                    7. PopulateCollageTemplate.jsx - Used to Automatically populate a Photo Collage template and leave the populated copy open in Photoshop.
                    8. BatchOneImageCollage.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Collage templates that only have one image inserted. The Collage or Image may be stamped with text.
                    9. BatchMultiImageCollage.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Any Photo Collage template with images in a source image folder. Easier to use than the interactive script. Saved collages can be tweaked.
                    10. BatchPicturePackage.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Any Photo Collage template with an image in a source image folder
                    11. PasteImageRoll.jsx - Paste Images into a document to be print on roll paper.
                    12. PCTpreferences.jsx - Edit This File to Customize Collage Populating scripts default setting and add your own Layer styles.

Documentation and Examples

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP
                      Angiea1114 Level 1

I really appreciate your help but whatever that explanation says is way beyond my scope of understanding .  If indeed, you are saying it may not happen once I clip an image to the layer, I tried that and got the same results.  Two days ago this wasn't the case and now it is.  Maybe it is a bug, maybe it is some change I'll have to get used to.  I have tried resetting preferences to default, I have reset the move tool, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program.  I'm just at a loss.  Someone else suggested it may be a video driver problem....

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP

It takes time to understand many things keep at it you knowledge will get better.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP
                          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maybe you are assuming the clipped image will take on the rotation of the bounding box instead of the underlying image?

• 10. Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP

Angiea1114 wrote:

I apologize...I posted the wrong picture...

In the first picture here, all I did was rotate the layer.  Usually when I do this, and hit enter, the boundary boxes stay where they are.

Now, after I hit enter, the boundary boxes change to these positions ..   HELP!

You are confusing two things.   You have a layer that was made using the rounded rectangle tool.   The layer has pixels that form a rectangle with rounded corners.  The boundaries of the un-rotated rounded rectangle and the boundaries of the layer are the same except for the rounded corners.

When you rotate  the rounded rectangle pixels the pixels boundaries rotate are more a diamond shape a rectangle standing on a rounder corner.  Layer boundaries are rectangular with horizontal and vertical sides.  So the layer boundaries  do indeed change when you commit the transform.

Here you can easily see the difference. The marching ants are around the layers pixel boundaries and the transform box around the layers bounds.

Capture.jpg

• 11. Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP
                              Angiea1114 Level 1

That may very well be where my confusion lies!  Thanks!

I looked at a tutorial for something also and the boundaries move as well - so in fact , I am now questioning myself completely.  I spent well over 2 hours on the phone with adobe to clear this confusion up for me and all they did was add to it!  The man I spoke with said that this was a change that just recently took affect in the past month.  I also asked if there was possibly a way that maybe I had my boundaries set different and for some reason or another it had changed - he said yes.  But to be 100% honest with you - I really had very little confidence in anything that rep had told me.  He seemed very unsure of anything he was saying, and had uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice , then he shut the graphics processor off, in preferences, and then we couldn't get back up .  The end result was me going to upload updates to my driver, uninstalling/reinstalling again because what ever he did before he hung up with me - we couldn't even pull the creative cloud app up!  So, I'm reinstalled and functioning and now questioning whether there was a problem to begin with - so I'll just move on!!!

• 12. Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP

Communication is always a problem both parties need to be on the same page one might say.  Words have different meaning in different context it easy for either on both parties to be on different pages subjects etc.  My language skill are below average text is not something I can do. 

Support is not an easy task both asker and helper need to be close else they will be dancing is separate rooms.

• 13. Re: Photoshop CC transform boundaries are not moving with the object...HELP
                                  norman.sanders Most Valuable Participant

I may be totally off base and if I am, I apologize. Regarding your inquiry #5: one sample image is rotated and the other is not. In addition, their sizes vary. To better understand your inquiry I presented them in common orientation and size as seen here:

12.jpg

... and I believe you are asking why the transform lines (shown here in red) are different sizes. The reason is that each surrounds the outer limits of its image. Again, I apologize if I missed the point of your inquiry.