3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2007 3:27 PM by Rothrock

flash video time

stephan.k Level 1
      Dear Forum

I'm trying to find the current time in a flash video (progressive download). The time property doesn't seem to return anything.

I posted the code below.

What am I doing wrong?

Any clues?

Thanks

Stephan

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
      this.attachMovie("FLVPlayback", "trailerVideoPlayback", 10, {width:230, height:160, x:480, y:230});

this.trailerVideoPlayback._width = 300;
      this.trailerVideoPlayback._height = 240;

this.trailerVideoPlayback.skin = "SteelExternalPlaySeekMute.swf";
      this.trailerVideoPlayback.controllerPolicy = "auto";
      this.trailerVideoPlayback.contentPath = "test.flv";

setInterval(this,"checkTime",300);

function checkTime(){
      trace(this.trailerVideoPlayback.time)
      }
        • 1. Re: flash video time
          Rothrock Level 5
          Is there a time property?
          • 2. Re: flash video time
            stephan.k Level 1
            hmm that would explain things.

I guess my real question then is: how do I know when the flv has finished playing. I'd like to start a new one after that...
            Is there some other way to achieve this? We are using a regular server (progressive download).

Do I need to use the netStream class?

Any leads or insight appreciated.

Thanks

Stephan

• 3. Re: flash video time
              Rothrock Level 5
              You need to read the help files.

I take it you are using the playback component under Flash 8? I only have Flash 7 so I don't know exactly what it is called in your version, but in my version there is a component dictionary for the media playback components. Don't try and use the search – it will only confuse you. Instead just find the component dictionary and the entries for the component. There you will find all the properties, methods, and events that are available.

So to answer your first question, I think there is a Media.playheadTime property. That should give you what you were originally asking for.

But that isn't probably what you need to do what you have mentioned in your second post. In that case check out the Media.complete method. There is sample code.