17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 12:10 PM by Hildergard

£1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.

Hildergard

I've received a small amount of funding to buy a laptop for editing. It will only be used for editing, uploading videos to the internet and burning dvd's, nothing else. I've found several but every time I check the compatibility of the graphics card against Adobe's supported devices for Premier Elements I can't find the graphics card on the list. I want to edit HD files and my camera films in AVCHD. Any ideas what I could get?

This one seems like good value but again I don't know if the graphics card is compatible

New Inspiron 17 7000 Series 17” HD Laptop Details | Dell UK

• 1. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere Elements does not use the GPU for extra processing like Premiere Pro, so the NVidia card in that laptop should work fine

You will have more of a problem trying to edit HD material with a 5400rpm drive

• 2. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
            Hildergard Level 1

Thanks John. Is that what the Dell one has?

I've got a seagate 1TB external HD - would that make a difference?

• 4. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hildergard

What version of Premiere Elements do you have or intend to get and what computer operating system will be involved?

Most non-super NVIDIA and ATI cards will do the job in Premiere Elements where GPU effects do not exist (since about version 9 to the present).

But, if Premiere Elements 10 is in any way involved, you do not want a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card for your computer - known issue which

requires roll back of driver version to May 2013 to overcome display issues.

Do you intend to use primarily Premiere Elements on this computer? Are aiming your video card/graphics card choice to meet the just Premiere Elements?

If you have not purchased Premiere Elements for your computer, I would encourage you to look at the 30 days tryout of Premiere Elements 13 from Adobe to assure

the compatibility of the program with your computer environment and your project goals.

ATR

• 5. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
                Hildergard Level 1

Hi ATR - thanks for replying. I would be buying the latest version of Premiere Elements. Operating system would be Windows 8 probably, seeing as it's a new computer.

I will primarily be using PE, yes. This laptop will only be used for editing, nothing else. I'm a video artist and the laptop is for work.

I'd need to know the computer was compatible with PE before I buy it but am not really experienced in computers so need some help with that.

Would this one be compatible with the latest version of PE?

9S7-175912-472, MSI GE70 2PC(Apache)-472UK, 39272999 - Save on Laptops

• 6. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
                  whsprague Level 4

Hildergard wrote:

Hi ATR - thanks for replying. I would be buying the latest version of Premiere Elements. Operating system would be Windows 8 probably, seeing as it's a new computer.

I will primarily be using PE, yes. This laptop will only be used for editing, nothing else. I'm a video artist and the laptop is for work.

I'd need to know the computer was compatible with PE before I buy it but am not really experienced in computers so need some help with that.

Would this one be compatible with the latest version of PE?

9S7-175912-472, MSI GE70 2PC(Apache)-472UK, 39272999 - Save on Laptops

I have a similar laptop, but made by ASUS.  Because of the SSD and the i7 it makes quick work of editing.  The key is to keep as much space on the SSD for active projects as you can.   When I start a new project it gets its own dedicated folder on the SSD.  When the project is complete, I move the entire folder to either the HDD or an external HDD.  If at a later date I want to work on the project again, I can move the folder back to the SSD.  There is an "archive" function in PrE that can be used for the process, but I've not used it.

Bill

• 7. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
                    Hildergard Level 1

Thanks Bill. I have a 1TB external hard drive that I keep all my files and finished projects on.  I might just go ahead and get the one in the link then as the fan has gone in my poor old workhorse laptop and I need to get on. Thanks to everyone for their input - much appreciated.

• 8. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hildergard

Thanks for the reply.

If you are referring to compatible in terms of installing on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, I have found Premiere Elements 13 to install and perform well in those operating system.

However, when you get to performance, you need to factor in several factors including processor and its clock speed, installed and available RAM, available free hard drive space.

Other factors that could be involved - antivirus program interference, use of pen and tablet device instead of mouse, failure to install QuickTime on the same computer with Premiere Elements, video card/graphics card not up to date.....

If you factor in a SSD, then

a. the program should be installed to the default location of the Local Disk C. If the SSD is the C, then there. The program can be installed in other locations but online reports

suggest that it works best on C. Some components automatically install to a default location.

b. the capacity of the SSD...Because of space limitations of SSD, .I would make a point of pointing the project file and its assets to a drive other than SSD. There can be large pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files et al that the project automatically produces during the course of the workflow. Please refer to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks for directing preview files and conformed audio et al. when the program is available to you. I would suggest pointing Scratch Disks to Same As Project and then directing the saving of the project file to a non SSD location with the File Menu/Save As of the opened project.

One of the major concepts in Premiere Elements (any version) is that, when you import media into a project, all you get are copies of the originals which are saved to a hard drive location. If, after the save close of the project, you move, delete, or rename files and folders that were imported into the project, you run into some difficult media disconnect issues.

The change of the drive letter for the drive where the source media are stored can also create the media disconnect.

Project archiving is available and best used after the project is completed and you want to store the project. If used for a project that is archived with disc menus as part of the project special consideration enter in.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/archiving-projects.html

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Archiving Projects With Disc Menus

This information about Project Archiving is just an aside since it is assumed that the program and project have already demonstrated their compatibility with your computer operating system. at the point where the feature is needed.

But, when all is said and done, I would strongly encourage you to explore fully the Premiere Elements 13 tryout from Adobe before any purchase in order to assure the compatibility/performance of the program with your specific computer environment and your project goals.

Please let me know if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
                        whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

If you factor in a SSD, then

a. the program should be installed to the default location of the Local Disk C. If the SSD is the C, then there. The program can be installed in other locations but online reports

suggest that it works best on C. Some components automatically install to a default location.

b. the capacity of the SSD...Because of space limitations of SSD, .I would make a point of pointing the project file and its assets to a drive other than SSD. There can be large pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files et al that the project automatically produces during the course of the workflow. Please refer to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks for directing preview files and conformed audio et al. when the program is available to you. I would suggest pointing Scratch Disks to Same As Project and then directing the saving of the project file to a non SSD location with the File Menu/Save As of the opened project.

But, when all is said and done, I would strongly encourage you to explore fully the Premiere Elements 13 tryout from Adobe before any purchase in order to assure the compatibility/performance of the program with your specific computer environment and your project goals.

With due respect for all your work ATR, I disagree on two points.

First, for a couple years I've been using a SSD as drive "C:" with a HDD for drive D on a ASUS i7 laptop.  I reserve about 50GB of space on the SSD for PrE projects.  My Elements programs and Lightroom are installed on the SSD "C:"   At the beginning of a project I ensure my Scratch Disks are set to "Same as Project".

When it was new, I tested several configurations using the conventional HDD methodology of spreading assets and projects over several drives.  In fact, I got into a few "discussions" with Bill Hunt, who later bought a SSD laptop for video.  My experience is that putting everything in one project folder on the SSD enhances the experience, especially the preview experience.  Nothing "piles up".  If anything, it speeds up due to the read and write speeds of the SSD.  If space is an issue, leaving the source video files in a library on the HDD drive "D:" does not slow things down too much.

Second, I would encourage Hildergard to "just get going".  The odds that Premier Elements 13, Windows 8 and a new laptop won't play nice are remote.  With millions of copies sold world wide and only a couple of problems showing up here each week, I'm confident the vast majority don't have problems.   Most issues seem to be outdated versions being run on older systems.   For Hildergard to "assure the compatibility/performance of the program with [his] specific computer environment [and] project" only get in the way of getting work done.  My suggestion is to buy it, install it, get it running and get a work flow figured out.  If Hildergard has trouble learning the work flow, he should be referred to one of Steve Grisitti's excellent on line classes.

Respectfully,

Bill

• 10. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hildergard

My post 8 stands as written on all counts

ATR

• 11. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
                            whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

Hildergard

My post 8 stands as written on all counts

ATR

Come on Mr. Romano!  Most user forums are alive and healthy with free flowing ideas, concepts and methods.  I wrote my response with "due respect for your work" and signed it "Respectfully". 

Do you not like, allow or want others to participate?

Respectfully (again),

Bill

• 12. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
                              Hildergard Level 1

Thank you to everyone for their input. I've gone for the one in the link I posted earlier - the one Bill said was similar to his. Looking forward to getting on with it as I have an exhibitin to make some work for in only 12 weeks. Eek. Thanks again

• 13. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hildergard

Thanks for the update.

Best wishes with your video editing choices and upcoming exhibition.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions.

ATR

• 14. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
                                  whsprague Level 4

Hildergard wrote:

Thank you to everyone for their input. I've gone for the one in the link I posted earlier - the one Bill said was similar to his. Looking forward to getting on with it as I have an exhibitin to make some work for in only 12 weeks. Eek. Thanks again

Guard the space on your SSD.  ASUS shipped mine with a lot of "junkware".  Get that deleted before you install anything important to conserve space.  Watch as you install tools and put things like Word or Excel on you HDD.  My typical projects require less than 10GB with everything stuffed into the folder.  It takes a lot less if the files are on the HDD.

My current projects are being shot in 4K and using the SSD works.  My projects are never very long.  I tried that once and put all my viewers asleep. 

• 15. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
                                    Hildergard Level 1

Good tips, thank you. I'm not intending on putting other software on it as it'll only be used for video.

I've got got two videos in the ICA in London at the moment, both just under ten minutes but they're older ones. These days I aim for five minutes tops.

• 16. Re: £1000 to spend on laptop, can't find one with compatible graphics card.
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hildergard

A just in case mention since you wrote

I'm not intending on putting other software on it as it'll only be used for video.

Do not forget to install the latest version of QuickTime on the computer with Premiere Elements. And, both should be run as Administrator

according to system requirements for both programs.

Adobe Premiere Elements 13 for Mac, Windows - System requirements

ATR