4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 12:27 PM by Peter Spier

Apply multiple master pages to multiple layers

Darulah

I have a document that has multiple layer and I need to apply a different master page to each layer.

Layers are as follows and in this order:

USA Pricing

No Pricing

Euro Pricing

Yen Pricing

and so on.

I have a master page created for each versions layer. I lock all layers except the USA layer and apply the USA Pricing master to that layer it looks great.

So I lock that layer and unlock the next layer and apply the applicable master to that layer and so on but, even though the other layers are locked what ever master

I last applied is the one that sticks to all layers.

How do you get the master page to stick to each layer without using the Master page override to each layer and making it become part of the page?

If you do that and then you have a change to the Master page on a specific layer/version you have to edit every page and can not simply make a global change on the applicable master!!

Thank you in advance for any help that can be given.

• 1. Re: Apply multiple master pages to multiple layers
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can apply only one master per page, so it sounds like you need to create a new master page with the attributes you need for each layer included in one place.

• 2. Re: Apply multiple master pages to multiple layers
            Darulah Level 1

Do you mean that only one master page can be applied per page and that it is automatically applied to all layers of that page?

"so it sounds like you need to create a new master page with the attributes you need for each layer included in one place."

I don't understand what you mean by this? I have created multiple master pages that have everything I need on them to be applied to each layer!

They just don't stick to the individual layer! Maybe it the "included in one place" part of your reply that will work but, I don't understand what you mean by that!

• 3. Re: Apply multiple master pages to multiple layers
              Malcolm Whild Level 1

Hi Darulah,

This is happening because it's not possible to apply a different master to different layers on your page. Master pages (which may or may not have layers) affect the whole page, rather than just a layer on it. If you have different masters for various pricings, then it sounds like you need to have multiple pages in your document. You can start with one master and then base the others on it.

I hope that's helpful - good luck!

Regards,

Malcolm

• 4. Re: Apply multiple master pages to multiple layers
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Layers are global. If one page has layers, all pages and all master pages also have the same layers.

All of the content on any master page will appear on any page based on that master. If you need content on all layers of a document page (and that content should appear on multiple pages), you need to create a master page that has the appropriate content on each layer.