5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 3:54 PM by JimHess

Photoshop Elements 10 and Camera Raw 8.7.1 Converter

Ted Mikalsen

Can the Camera Raw 8.7.1 Converter be used with Photoshop Elements 10? 

• 1. Re: Photoshop Elements 10 and Camera Raw 8.7.1 Converter
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Photoshop Elements 10 can use up to Camera Raw 6.7. However, you can download the latest DNG converter 8.7.1 and create DNG copies of your raw files that are compatible with what you have. The DNG converter does not work "with" any program. It is a standalone program that you would use prior to opening the images in Photoshop Elements.

• 2. Re: Photoshop Elements 10 and Camera Raw 8.7.1 Converter
            Ted Mikalsen Level 1

Mr Hess, thanks very much for so quickly responding and providing an answer to a question about a product which I was unable to obtain from the Adobe customer service firewall.  It is a shame that as consumers we are caught in a collaboration of camera, software, and computer manufacturers to drive drive a continuing need to upgrade and users having to provide the customer support for their products.  Ted Mikalsen

• 3. Re: Photoshop Elements 10 and Camera Raw 8.7.1 Converter

I agree. But the problem here isn't with Adobe. If the camera manufacturers could agree on a common file format all of this compatibility mayhem could be eliminated. But they insist on maintaining their proprietary raw formats.

• 4. Re: Photoshop Elements 10 and Camera Raw 8.7.1 Converter
                areohbee Level 5

JimHess wrote:

I agree. But the problem here isn't with Adobe. If the camera manufacturers could agree on a common file format all of this compatibility mayhem could be eliminated. But they insist on maintaining their proprietary raw formats.

A common file format is not a panacea - somebody has to write the code to translate sensor data to RGB values etc.., and right now:

Nikon does that for Nikon,

Canon does that for Canon,

Adobe does that for Adobe.

Reverse engineering different raw file formats (to locate raw image and pertinent metadata) is comparatively trivial.

Yes, I realize that if Nikon and Canon did that for Adobe too (and packaged it in a DNG file for example, with camera profiles.., and did new lens profiles for them too..), then it would be better for Adobe software users, but there is just insufficient incentive for camera manufacturers to do that.

The bottom line - I agree that the problem here isn't with Adobe, but also: it's unfair to accuse camera manufacturers of being "stubborn or uncooperative..". It just doesn't make good business sense for them, or hasn't yet anyway.

Fingers crossed for the future and all, but I wouldn't hold breath..

Rob

• 5. Re: Photoshop Elements 10 and Camera Raw 8.7.1 Converter

Yeah, I guess you're right. Not much sense pointing fingers at this point. I just don't want anyone blaming Adobe for the problem because it really isn't on their shoulders.