3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 5:20 AM by syswizardx

GetJSObject() - another wierd one

syswizardx Level 1

I was able to successfully use getField and then set a form field's value and then from ReadOnly=False to True.

However, when I attempted to reverse this, the field stayed ReadOnly=True, but the Value persisted after I saved the PDF file  !!

In other words, you could not "see" the value in the form, but when you did a getField using the JSObject, the value was "there"....like a phantom value.

Super wierd...and buggy.

• 1. Re: GetJSObject() - another wierd one
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you perform this with the JavaScript Debugger?

• 2. Re: GetJSObject() - another wierd one
            syswizardx Level 1

Nope - it's under the VBA debugger using the Javascript bridge.

The debugger "shows" the value of the form field, but after I save the PDF file, Acrobat Reader (or Pro) shows nothing in that field.

However, upon re-running my routine, a call to getField("xyz") does produce the value that was set in the previous run.

So the value is "in there", but does not show visibly. Also strange, I set the ReadOnly property to False, but it remains ReadOnly.

• 3. Re: GetJSObject() - another wierd one
              syswizardx Level 1

Upon further review, what appears to be happening is that another field has a MouseUp event handler coded to set the form field in question to a null string.

The handler appears to be firing before the form is closed programatically even though there is no user interaction !!!

Yep, and now I found it: there was an initialization script at the document level...that was resetting the fields in question programatically.

Now I'm in big trouble: how to disable that ? What I need is a special Open method that acts like a MS Office document opened in "Safe Mode".