15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 2:21 PM by JJMack

Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?

DavidMacDo

According to this Adobe article Photoshop Help | Adding conditional actions | CC, CS6 my Actions Panel menu should contain an item "Insert Conditional".

I would really like to use this feature. My CS 6 X is fully up to date but the Actions Panel menu has no such option on it. So is the article above correct or not? Or am I missing something?

Thank you to anyone who can clarify this for me.

• 1. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Look in the actions palette fly-out menu...

Capture.jpg

Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.
          Contains

Example
          Download

• 2. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?
            DavidMacDo Level 1

Even though I am using fully updated CS6 X - It's not there in the menu where it should be. That's why I'm posting.

150113-0003.png

• 3. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?

There are three current version of CS6 Perpetual Mac version 13.0.6  Perpetual  Windows version 13.0.1.3 and subscription version Mac and Windows 13.1.2.  Conditional actions was added in the subscription version 13.1.2 and at least one additional fix and removal of some plug-in support  was done in 13.1.2.

Conditional Action are not in Window version 13.0.1.3 I do not know if its in Mac version 13.0.6. I do believe that retina display support is in version 13.0.6

• 4. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?
                DavidMacDo Level 1

Thank you for such a very concise answer.

I am running 13.0.6. I did not appreciate that there was a subscription update to CS 6 - I thought that CC was the first subscription version.

I take it that the implication of this is that the CS 6 subscription extras are unavailable in any form to perpetual owners?

• 5. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?

There are also three Creative Cloud versions of Photoshop:  CS6 version 13.1.2, CC version 14.1.2 and CC 2014 version 15.2.2

Capture.jpg

• 6. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?
                    rkelly0137 Level 4

DavidMacDo wrote:

I take it that the implication of this is that the CS 6 subscription extras are unavailable in any form to perpetual owners?

Yup.  At least that was my understanding.  Came to it the same way you did, trying to develop a conditional action.  Adobe turned its shoulder on the perpetual owners, many of us long time customers.  It's one thing to come out with a new version, but to update CS6 for the cloud customers only was a low blow. 

• 7. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?
                      DavidMacDo Level 1

Not what I wanted to hear but admirably clear. Thanks for your help!

• 8. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?
                        DavidMacDo Level 1

It does seem very below the belt. Seems I will need to bite the bullet on the subscription model (which I really don't like) or get to grips with some very simple scripting.

• 9. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?

David Mac Do

Conditional actions are not a big deal. In reality they are a one line script built into the fly-out menu and the feature only support a limited number of conditions. To phrase the script in english is a simple one liner

If Document (condition pulldown list) selected is true Play true action in set(selected) else  Play false action in set (selected). Actions do not need to be select for both true and false. One selection may do what is needed.

All three supported Photoshop supported scripting languages have support for an "if" statement.

A javascript was posted years ago "Siva's Photoshop Conditional Action.jsx" do a serach.

Actions can use scripts and scripts can do actions

example

if (activeDocument.height > activeDocument.width) doAction("Rotate", "MyActionSet");  // rotate portraits

Crafting Actions PackageUPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.
                          Contains

Example
                          Download

• 10. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?
                            rkelly0137 Level 4

So does that mean I could script an action to toggle on and off a layer visibility with CS6 (non CC)? 

• 11. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?
                              DavidMacDo Level 1

Thank you JJ Mack. That's just the kind of stuff I needed. Terrific!!

• 12. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?

It more complex then that you would need to write a plugin script that would write the condition, actions  and action sets  into the action step being recorded when you record the used of the script into an action.

Like Adobe "Fit Image" plug-in script.  I use its design when i create my two plug-in scripts.

Therefore that script become large and complex for there needs to be a dialog. Adobe provide ScriptUI support. There are some known issues in it. Also to be a plug-in the script needs to code in action support that records the settings use during the recording of the script in an action into the action step the is being recorded. Photoshop scripting support that but code is required in the script to do the recording on the setting used.

When the Action Manager plays a Plugin step the dialog is bypassed unless turn on in the action step, the settings recorded are plug-in the dialog displayed or not. If displayed your interaction is required to complete the step. No interaction is required if the step dialog is not turned on the recorded settings are used.

"Siva's Photoshop Conditional Action.jsx"  is not a plugin script its dialog will always open and need to be set if recorded into an avtion.

• 13. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?

rkelly0137 wrote:

So does that mean I could script an action to toggle on and off a layer visibility with CS6 (non CC)? 

Toggling a layer visibility is problematic in an action however It can be done in a script. There is a problem selecting a layer that is not visible relatively in a action.  Only visible layers can be targeted relatively in an action. If you target one turn its visibility off  the target some other layer you can not target the layer you  turn off in a relative way to turn on it visibility again.

You can record toggling all other visible layer off leaving the current visible layer visible then repeat the toggle in some following step to toggle the other layer that were toggled off back on.

• 14. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?
                                    rkelly0137 Level 4

JJMack wrote:

rkelly0137 wrote:

Toggling a layer visibility is problematic in an action however It can be done in a script. There is a problem selecting a layer that is not visible relatively in a action.  Only visible layers can be targeted relatively in an action. If you target one turn its visibility off  the target some other layer you can not target the layer you  turn off in a relative way to turn on it visibility again.

You can record toggling all other visible layer off leaving the current visible layer visible then repeat the toggle in some following step to toggle the other layer that were toggled off back on.

Thanks.  They made it really easy to do with the conditional actions, I guess it must be different with the scripts.  Regardless, based on the research I did it looks like you can't assign scripts to a hotkey, which defeats my purpose.  Oh well.

• 15. Re: Where are conditional Actions in CS 6 X ?

rkelly0137 wrote:

Thanks.  They made it really easy to do with the conditional actions, I guess it must be different with the scripts.  Regardless, based on the research I did it looks like you can't assign scripts to a hotkey, which defeats my purpose.  Oh well.

It not hard to turn the visibility on and off. If a layer visibility is off and not the target layer it not possible to target it except by name and layer name need not be unique that is the problem.

It is possible to assign a shortcut to a script you use menu Edit>Keyboard shortcuts

Capture.jpg