16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 8:16 PM by A.T. Romano

can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing

kimpag

Made video and saved to my ssd, which is where I didn't want to save it.  Thought I copied to my main drive and deleted video from my ssd, now when I open my video in the new directory this is what appears. Which says Media offline, also got file not supported or the required codec installed.  Please when explaining a fix remember I am new to this program and need a simple explanation.    Thanks Kim

• 1. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

kimpag

When you import media into a project, all you get are copies of the originals that are on the computer hard drive. But, those copies need to trace back to

the originals on the computer hard drive. If, after you save close that project, you move, delete, rename files and folders that you imported in the project,

you end up with media disconnect which can be a nasty issue to remedy.

The first pass at a solution is to reconnect the media using the "Where is the file.....?" messages that appear as you attempt to open the previously

saved closed project. Using this means, you point the file named to where you know the original is now saved.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
            kimpag Level 1

Thanks for the help, however the issue is now fixed..it couldn't recognize the recorded video's used for my project which were in a file just above the project in my F drive.  So, my project was a stand alone (adobe project) and the original recordings (gameplay recorded with shadowplay) used were in a separate file in a folder just above it.  Hmm, interesting it could read those files!

Thanks

Kim

• 3. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Kim

The great news is "....the issue is now fixed...".

It is not clear how the issue posted was resolved...

you pointing the project thumbnails of the reopened project to the save location of the originals or other

or

spontaneously correction by project after reopening

As long as the originals were imported into the opened project from their Drive F save location and those files remained there and you did not rename them, you should

not have seen media offline displays as shown in your screenshot when you opened the previously saved closed project.

But, all is working. That is good. If the problem reoccurs, please let us know, and we will revisit the matter.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
                kimpag Level 1

Hi ATR,

Sorry wish I understood what you were saying, I really mean you have to dumb it down for me when comes to explaining this..but, I think its the first point you make..its really great to know that when the Adobe people have issues we get responses really quickly..thanks so much and extremely appreciated.  Now, however Im having issue with audio and video sync..record from shawdowplay..however, did put in some effects like slowmotion, and video is not sync with sound effects (battlefield 4) video that I recorded..so Im trying to google and search on here for a really easy explanation.

thanks again,

Kim

• 5. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Kim

Thanks for the reply.

Basically I am saying that the project that you reopened does not contain your original files (never did). All it ever contained were thumbnails (copies) of the

originals. And, in order to get things to work, those copies had to trace back (connect) in the programming to the originals wherever they were on the hard drive

when they were first imported into the program. If the project cannot find those originals where they remember them to be at import, then problems. And, then you

need to go into a reconnect the media activity. If things are working now, we will leave it there for now and pick up on this type of details as you progress in

the program. OK?

As for your audio out of sink...

1. The audio out of sync could be because the video/audio was recorded with a variable frame rate. That means when it was recorded the frame rate was changing

from say 25.00 to 28  to 32 to 28 frames per second from the start to end of the video rather than staying at either 25, 29.97, 30, 59.94, or 60 frames per second throughout

the whole video. If that is the case, you will need to take the video/audio into a free program such as HandBrake and convert the variable to a constant frame rate. I can

give you step by step details on that.

2. If you (manually) or the program (automatically) are not setting the correct project preset for your project so that the project preset matches the properties of your source files, that could contribute to the audio out of sync.

Please let me know if you are OK with those details. If so, I will go into greater detail on what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
                    kimpag Level 1

To complicated for me, I did try to use handbrake, however it didn't find the files in the "f" drive it found all my recorded shadowplay video's but, not the projects I did with Adobe Elements.  They really need video editing for dummies..sigh, will look on google again.

Thanks,

Kim

• 7. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Kim

I know you can do it.

Do you want me to give you a step by step for getting a constant frame rate for your video using HandBrake?

Say the word and we can give it a try. I will streamline the details as much as possible. I will even include screenshots.

What say you?

ATR

• 8. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
                        kimpag Level 1

That would be awesome, and much appreciated

thanks again,

Kim

• 9. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Kim

I will get to this within the next few hours. It is about 5:30 pm Tuesday here. Hope to have information posted before midnight or sooner.

Could you try to find me some information from Premiere Elements 13 Expert workspace/Project Assets..

Do you see your video file import in Project Assets? If so, right click it, and select Properties. When you open Properties, what does it show

from frame size and frame rate?

Now if you go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, what are the readings that you see for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio - even

if the fields look grayed out.

I will still do that step by step for HandBrake, but the above would give me more numbers for me to use to make things more fine tuned.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Kim

Let us say that you have a .mp4 video with a frame size of 1920 x 1080 and that it has a frame rate that ranges from 26 to 32 frames per second, but general overall frame rate of 28.

We are going to take that video into HandBrake and get out a file 1920 x 1080 with a frame rate of 29.97 frames per second that stays that way for the whole playback of the video in Premiere Elements or anywhere else.

Download and install HandBrake

https://handbrake.fr/

Open HandBrake to see the following workspace.

HandBrake1.JPG

Now getting more detailed......

HandBrake2.JPG

1. Click on Source/Open File and browse to the video at its computer hard drive save location. When you find it, click on it to select it, and then click Open at the bottom right of the Open dialog that you are in.

2. In the place where it says "Chapters", change that to seconds by clicking on the tiny triangle to the right of that field and selecting seconds.

3. In the Destination field, hit the Browse button to the right of the Destination File field and browse to the place where you want the new file saved to.

Suggested place - Libraries\Videos

4. Output Settings/Container - have that set at Mp4

5. If your video has a frame size of 1920 x 1080, the values will display under the opened Picture Tab. Do nothing there under the Picture Tab. Let it be, "it is what it is".

Now switching from Picture Tab view to Video Tab View....

HandBrake3.JPG

Click on the Video Tab to open it. Refer to the screenshot directly above....

6. Set the Video Codec to H.264 (x264).

7. Set the Framerate (FPS) to 59.94. (The screenshot shows 29.97. It should be 59.94. The screenshot was done before I saw your information in your latest post.)

8. Make sure the Constant Framerate is dotted

9. Hit the Start button at the top left of the workspace.

10. Watch the progress bar at the bottom left for the exact words "Queue Finished" as the signal Done.

Find your new file with the frame rate converted from variable to constant frame rate.

Please review the above and let me know where I can clarify it further if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
                              kimpag Level 1

Should be under MY VIDEOS

When I go to MY VIDEOS in "F" Drive only the recorded Shadow play ones are

there Under MY Video's

However was able to pull in the project when I went into the Source button

on handbrake then file open single file

But that file cannot be found in "F" as above

So, as mentioned was able to pull my project from the source tab, but can't

from the destination file when I browse for it

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 6:36 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 13. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Kim

Recap....

You click on Source and browse to and select one of the Shadow play videos that we are labeling as a file with variable frame rate and trying to change the

variable frame rate in the file to a constant one.

Untitled-1.jpg

Can you import that file into HandBrake so that you see Picture Tab data showing frame size 1920 x 1080?

Untitled2.JPG

Now let us work on the Destination field. Can you click Browse and navigate to the computer desktop.

Previously I wrote

3. In the Destination field, hit the Browse button to the right of the Destination File field and browse to the place where you want the new file saved to.

Suggested place - Libraries\Videos

Forget about Libraries\Video. Select instead Desktop so that it appears in the Save In field of the Save As dialog.

The Save As dialog should look like this after you set it up for Save In = Desktop and File Name = Convert Shadow. Do not type in anything more or less

than Convert Shadow. Then click Save to the Save As dialog.

Browsing-To.jpg

Now you are back in the HandBrake workspace (still with the Picture Tab selected). Now it should look like this in the Destination field...the program has filled in the

file extension along with the file path

Destination.JPG

If no problems to this point, then continue on with the original steps from 3 and later.

I have proof read the above, but, if you see something that you do not understand, please let me know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
                                  kimpag Level 1

This is one of the shadowplay videos I recorded of BF4

changed the destination to desktop

So do I do this for every thumbnail I used for my project? Or am I making a

new project with the adjusted thumbnail so that all the framerates match up

and are consistent?

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 8:44 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 15. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Kim

If this HandBrake conversion of the variable frame rate to a constant frame rate works for one file to get the converted file into a Premiere Elements project, it is likely we found the answer for all. This means convert each of these files = variable to constant frame rate - one at a time.

I would need to do some research to find out if HandBrake has a batch conversion feature.

ATR

• 16. Re: can't open video now each video frame replaced with writing
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Kim

Progress.

I have figured out how to do batch conversion with HandBrake.

Do the settings I suggested in detail before. But, the key to the whole thing seems to be

1. Source Tab, and Select "Folder" and browse to and select the Folder that has all your Shadow files that need to have their frame rates converted

from variable to constant.

2. Then Add to Queue Tab/Add All

3.Then hit the Start button.

4. Wait for the Queue Finished in the Progress Bar at the bottom left of the workspace.

Also, in case you end up with m4v file extension instead of mp4, make sure of the following setting so that it is for mp4 and not automatic.

HandBrake workspace

Tools Menu

Options

Preferences

Output files

That MP4 file extension = Always Use MP4

(not sure if that setting will hold or not so you may have to check that before each session)

We will be watching for your progress in the morning.

ATR