0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 8:56 AM by Sebastian Hellborne

Having trouble with very slow performance on our Graphics Design computers

Sebastian Hellborne

Okay, here's my problem. I'm an IT tech for a small company (40-something people).

We have a team of 3 graphics designers using Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator. We have 3 computers:

I7, 11GB RAM, 1.5 TB HDD

I5, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD

Xeon Quad, 8 GB RAM, 500GB HDD

The designers are working off with files off a LAN. That cannot be avoided.

They are constantly complaining that their machine is running slow. They are not very specific and it's not helping me. Sometimes it's either slow to load and save files, sometimes slow to work on the, or the always useful "everything is slow".

Mostly they use InDesign and Illustrator. Photoshop less often. The files they use are up to 6-700 MB, but not always.

I desperately need some advice about how to improve the performance of those machines. I am considering running the system&software off of SSDs, plugging in more RAM (16GB), making them their own dedicated NAS drive (a computer with 1 or 2 SSDs inside) connected to each computer via its own Gigabit ethernet cable.

What do you all think might make a difference? Anyone have any opinions, suggestions of experience with this?

Please HELP!