13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 1:32 PM by kglad

math.randum

mattbbcmk Level 1

Google is currently rejecting some of my ads because of a math.randum error. Typically, I create promotional ads that get customized with the city name at the end.

8 different cities out of a total of 27 cities are being rejected while the others are being sent through. I am trying to find where I might address this issue within Flash

Professional 5.5. I am saving the files as Player 10 & 10.1 and using ActionScript 2.0. Any help that could be supplied as to how I can address this issue would

be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: math.randum
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

that should be Math.random()

• 2. Re: math.randum
            mattbbcmk Level 1

Thank you for correcting me kglad. Would you care to offer a solution as well?

• 3. Re: math.randum

because you specified that you were receiving google rejections '...because of a math.randum error', i thought that was the problem.

however, if that's a typo in your message, but correct in your flash file(s), you have some other error which cannot be determined from your message.

• 4. Re: math.randum
                mattbbcmk Level 1

According to Google, my Flash ads are generating the math.randum() error and that is why they are being rejected. My question is: where can I look within Flash and within my document art can I look to try and address this issue? For instance, is there a piece of art ( I doubt this ) that is causing the error or could it be within the click tag code or could it be in the the general coding of the Flash Ad itself? If so, I cannot determine where to begin looking within my document. I believe it to be a Google problem but want to eliminate anything on my end that could cause this math.randum() error from happening. Hopefully, this helps explain things further.

• 5. Re: math.randum

why do you continue to post that typo?

if that typo is a quote from the google rejection message, it is the cause of your rejection.  if you're not sure, copy and paste the google rejection or attach a screenshot of the google rejection.

that error would be generated by a typo in your actionscript or javascript.   you should check your html file (if there is one) and you should check your actionscript.

if you did not explicitly create any actionscript or javascript code, but code was created using some automation software, the error is in that software.

• 6. Re: math.randum
                    mattbbcmk Level 1

I am terribly sorry for the continued typo. I thought I had corrected it when I typed "math.randum()" in the post above. If you are referring to my title, then I would have figure out how to edit the title of this blog post.

As to the actual error message, it was posted in an email and specifically said this about Flash Banner Ads:

They need to be resaved in the correct format, without using Math.random() in a banner.

I did not create an HTML of the file and would be willing to check the ActionScript. Can you tell me how I would do this in Flash Professional 5.5?

If the error is within the Flash software, I would gladly take any suggestions or walk-throughs that could guide to editing this code.  Thanks for your feedback.

• 7. Re: math.randum

what's the correct format and what format did you send?

if Math.random() is in your swf, open the fla that was used to create your banner's swf file.

use the movie explorer to look for actionscript and search for Math.random()

• 8. Re: math.randum
                        mattbbcmk Level 1

Here are two screen shots showing my specs. I am using Flash Professional CS5.5

with a designation for Player 10&10.1 with AS2. The Movie Explorer Pane does not

reveal the use of Math.randum() in the code. The larger amount of code shown designates

a clickTAG code that was provided by Google.

Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 2.25.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-14 at 2.27.05 PM.png

• 9. Re: math.randum

what's the correct format and what format did you send?

• 10. Re: math.randum
                            mattbbcmk Level 1

Sorry. I don't understand your question. If you are referring to Google's specs for format, they accept AS2 and AS3.

I used AS2 and followed their guidelines. Sorry if I did not answer your question...?

• 11. Re: math.randum

you sent them a swf file that contains no Math.random() reference?

if so, ask them what's wrong with the format you sent.

• 12. Re: math.randum
                                mattbbcmk Level 1

That is correct. As stated in a previous post above, I believe this is a "Google" problem but wanted to make sure

that there was nothing on my end. I have re-saved, the file, re-imported the click tag code from their website and

many other editions to try and solve this problem. We have asked for clarification over and over again but they can

not pinpoint it either. Meanwhile, 20 of cities ( with the exact same creative ) are animating, while 8 remain to be accepted.

I am baffled. I am working with a host company that is submitting the ads for us and my client. My client does not know yet that

8 of her stores do not have animated ads running. They only have the stationary .jpegs in place.

Thanks for your input and will try again with Google.

• 13. Re: math.randum

what do you mean by, '..., re-imported the click tag code from their website' ????

that looks problematic.  as mentioned before, if you did not explicitly create any actionscript or javascript code, but code was created using some automation software, the error is in that software.