26 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2015 12:20 AM by Amy Archer

Can Lightroom print a list of catalog assets?

larryb91788882

Is there a way to list all the folders that a lightroom 5 catalog is referencing?

• 1. Re: question
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

It will only list or show folders that contain images you have imported into the catalog database.

By right-clicking a folder (in the Folders Panel) you can also show "Parent Folders" in the panel.

• 2. Re: question
            larryb91788882 Level 1

Thanks for the response.  I believe both of your points are correct.  Thanks

I was not specific enough with my question.  I was hoping for utility that would print out all the folders in the lightroom 5 catalog.  Since I have a number of folders the folders panel fills up more than one screen, so I have to do a screen print of each screen of folder panel contents, then paste to a word processor to get my print of all folders in the catalog.  There probably is no such utility, but it is worth asking.  Again, thanks for your input.

Larry

• 3. Re: question
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are correct. There is no such utility.

• 4. Re: question
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

You could use the ListView plugin to export a list of all your images and their folders to Excel, and then use Excel to eliminate the duplicate occurrences of the folders.

• 5. Re: question
                  areohbee Level 5

One easy way to get a list of all folders is using the Confidential Informant plugin, "Folders" preset.

robcole.com - Confidential Informant

(free by me)

Rob

• 6. Re: question
                    larryb91788882 Level 1

Thanks very much for your reply.  It seems this plugin works at the picture level.  I want to work at the folder level.  I do not want to have to glean my folder info from the midst of 20,000 pictures.  Again, Thanks!

• 7. Re: question
                      larryb91788882 Level 1

Thanks for your input.  I appreciate it.  I want to work at folder level.  It seems I would have to remove all the 20,000 pictures to leave me with the folders list.  Again, thanks very much!

• 8. Re: question
                        johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

With either plugin, here's how to quickly get the list of folders, assuming you have Excel:

- Select all the photos in the catalog.

- Export the list of photos as a .csv file, including folder name as one of the columns.

- Open the .csv file in Excel, and delete all the columns except folder name.

- In Excel, select the folder-name columnn and do Data > Remove Duplicates.

In either plugin, you can streamline the process a little by defining a preset that exports just one column, the folder name.

• 9. Re: question
                          areohbee Level 5

The above-mentioned (confidential informant plugin | folders preset) simply provides a list of each folder amongst selected photos (there will not be any duplicate folders). If you want to do the whole catalog, then simply select all photos in it.

It was my understanding that that is exactly what you want. If not, then please elaborate / clarify - thanks.

In other words, what John R. Ellis said..

Note: if you already own ListView, then it probably makes most sense to just use it. But if you don't, then consider confidential informant instead. Not only is it free, but it has a dedicated preset that does exactly what you want.

Rob

• 10. Re: question
                            larryb91788882 Level 1

As seen below, Lightroom has what I want, but not enough to get a list of all 150 folders I have.  All of what I have goes on for several screens and I hate taking multiple screenshots (which the below item is) and then pasting them into word processor and then printing.  Looking for a easy way.  I will try the free plugin and see how that works.    Thanks much.    Larry

• 11. Re: question
                              larryb91788882 Level 1

As seen below, Lightroom has what I want, but not enough to get a list of all 150 folders I have.  All of what I have goes on for several screens and I hate taking multiple screenshots (which the below item is) and then pasting them into word processor and then printing.  Looking for a easy way.  I will try the free plugin and see how that works.    Thanks much.    Larry

• 12. Re: question
                                areohbee Level 5

Larry,

CI will do exactly what you want (unless I misunderstand the goal), but I'm still not clear why you want to do it.

I mean, you should be able to see all folders in Lr by scrolling vertically, and if not wide enough, then you can use TranslatedStrings.txt in Windows to widen (or Jeffrey Friedl's Online Lr Configurator). On Mac, just option-drag to widen (or is it shift or..).

Do you really need a complete list as text or in spreadsheet..?

If you tell us the end-goal, we may be able to better advise.

Rob

• 13. Re: question
                                  areohbee Level 5

larryb91788882 wrote:

As seen below..

I see nothing below..

R

• 14. Re: question
                                    larryb91788882 Level 1

that is strange.  it is a screenshot in PNG format and shows up in my sent email.  It is possible that you have a Windows PC which sometimes has trouble with PNG files from Apple computers.  I have enclosed the screen shot in a pdf file this time.

• 15. Re: question
                                      areohbee Level 5

You can not post screenshots via email - you have to use the web interface.

• 16. Re: question
                                        larryb91788882 Level 1

I found a solution.  I have a screen capture program called Snagit that has a "scrolling" capture versus just what is seen on the one screen.  I have what I need.  I greatly appreciate all your input!! Thanks   Larry

• 17. Re: question
                                          larryb91788882 Level 1

I found a solution.  I have a screen capture program called Snagit that has a "scrolling" capture versus just what is seen on the one screen.  I have what I need.  I greatly appreciate all your input!! Thanks   Larry

• 18. Re: question
                                            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Nice you have an answer, Larry.

I thought I might throw this into the discussion, late-

If, like me, you have all images and folders (in the LR catalog) existing in one master folder in your computer-

A freeware program "Directory List Print" can be used (outside of LR) to send a folder list directly to MS-Word.

Directory List & Print: print directory tree, copy to clipboard and export into Word or Excel.

It is very adaptable, only a small program, a preview of the 'list' can be edited on screen.

You could 'list' one group of folders, copy to clipboard, paste to a Word doc, 'list' another group of folders, copy, paste again, etc.

I use it to print lists of images for club competitions.

It may be well worth a trial.

• 19. Re: question
                                              larryb91788882 Level 1

I am on a Mac and I think that program is for windows.....good idea tho because I used it before coming to the mac.    Thanks very much for your ideas!!!  Larry

• 20. Re: question
                                                areohbee Level 5

My curiosity is killing me - what is the reason you need/want a screenshot of the folders panel?

• 21. Re: question
                                                  larryb91788882 Level 1

Long story  .....  but short version.  I have had LR4 and now LR5.  I have CS6.  I have always had one folder under my Pictures Folder that contains all my pictures.....except for a few folders that are family related and iphone related and some that I have gotten from 3 of my grandkids that I got very interested in photography.  I am now in the process of cleaning up and bringing these outliers into the LR5 catalog....so before I start moving, etc I want to know exactly whats in that one folder and also the LR5 catalog.             Hierarchy is      Pictures/LWB Pictures/YYYY-MM-DD Description  the    LWB Pictures is where all my pictures are at except these outliers that I am now getting ready to bring under the hood of LR5.  I don't want to make any mistakes.  I probably have 20,000 pictures or so.  I have onsite and offsite backups.  I also use Apple's TimeMachine which backups every hour to a 3TB drive attached to my iMac 27" running Mavericks 10.9.4      even at that, I was a bit wordy.    Again, thanks      Larry

• 22. Re: question
                                                    areohbee Level 5

Ah - thanks, I see.. - you're trying to get un-imported photos organized outside Lr, before "importing" (i.e. before adding to catalog, without moving..) in Lr, and you're not always sure what's been imported where and what hasn't etc. as you go.

I understand the challenge - good luck with it. As you know, Lightroom can help you fix mistakes and/or re-org after import too .

Rob

• 23. Re: question
                                                      larryb91788882 Level 1

Great thots.  I appreciate that.  I will chase some of those plugins.   Larry

• 24. Re: question
                                                        Amy Archer

I just installed Confidential Informant thanks to your posting here, Rob Cole and will let you all know how it works if I figure it out. I'm not entirely sure, but think I want basically the same thing as LarryB: I'm migrating to a new iMac from a Mac Pro with 5 HDDs. All the images in LR are from the 5 or so different HDDs. I've migrated the LR catalog with all images to the new machine, but need to figure out where everything is on the old machine so as not to miss anything before I format all those drives. <- not sure that's clear, but the gist of it is I need a list of folders only from Lightroom.

So far, installation process was perfect and easy. It's the "Inform" part that I believe I need to read more to figure out how to proceed.

• 25. Re: question
                                                          areohbee Level 5

Hi Amy,

I just realized I goofed, and the preset you need is not being auto-added to the list by default, so until I amend, you have to add it manually:

1. Go to plugin manager, preset manager section.

2. Choose 'New Preset' from the drop-down menu.

3. Enter 'Folder Report' (exactly: case sensitive..) for the name.

Then it should be straight forward (invoke the 'Inform' function, and choose the 'Folder Report' preset).

Sorry about that .

In the future, please contact me outside the forum to discuss matters pertaining to my plugins - thanks.

robcole.com - Contact Me

===================

UPDATE: fixed in v1.4.1+

robcole.com - Confidential Informant

===================

Rob

• 26. Re: question
                                                            Amy Archer Level 1

That was very helpful, Rob!

Actually, I ended up doing my folder survey manually, by scrolling through the folders in LR and comparing to another window with folders in Finder. It wasn't as horrible as I thought it might be :-)

I just followed your instructions and it worked like a charm! The folders came out in a nice csv file that I can easily work with.

Will check out your other products and contact you through your contact page if I have any questions. Posted here just to contribute to the thread.