7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 6:26 AM by karenbpaul

InDesign phenomenon

karenbpaul

I have a greyscale image on a page in InDesign CC 2014. I add a band of 70% black across the middle of it and select multiply. The area under the band gets darker as expected, however the rest of the photo above and below the band gets lighter, sort of faded looking.. if I move the tinted band off the edge of the page the photo stays lighter.. the only way it goes back to normal looking density is if I delete the tinted band or move it to a different page (if I do that it makes the photo on that page look lighter).. any idea what is happening?

• 1. Re: InDesign phenomenon
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When images and transparent items (your band becomes one when you use a Blend Mode other than Normal) interact, the transparency blend space might setting comes into play. If the image is truly grayscale, and the shape is truly 70%K, you need the transparency blend space set to CMYK.

• 2. Re: InDesign phenomenon
            karenbpaul Level 1

Hi John - thanks for the message - I checked the transparency blend and it is set to CMYK..  I'm attaching a visual of what it looks like (original and with grey band multiplied on top).. so you can see the effect it is creating.. so strange. Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 4.45.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-13 at 4.46.11 PM.png

• 3. Re: InDesign phenomenon
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When you introduce transparency to the page, ID kicks into what is essentially overprint preview mode to give you the more accurate output preview. Your grayscale image will actually print as shown inthe second capture, but if there is no transparency, ID uses a Gamma 2.2 screen preview which is not the same dot gain as your CMYK document profile, which controls the grayscale output.

• 4. Re: InDesign phenomenon
                karenbpaul Level 1

Thanks Peter - does that mean I should have the overprint preview turned on all the time to get a more accurate view of my images in InDesign..? That view does match what I see when the image is open in Photoshop.

• 5. Re: InDesign phenomenon
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I wouldn't rely on InDesign or anything on screen unless you're in a fully calibrated colour workflow.

PDF would give a more accurate view, but a printed colour proof from the printers is what you really need to go by.

• 6. Re: InDesign phenomenon
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I wouldn't worry too much about the preview in ID except to check Overprint Preview before going to output. It's not helpful to always have it on because it hides other non-printing things like guides and non-printing characters which can be useful during the design phase.

• 7. Re: InDesign phenomenon
                      karenbpaul Level 1

Oh.. right. Generally I have a pretty good idea how my on-screen images relate to real-world color / ink on paper.. and do try to keep it as calibrated as possible. But this information is helpful. Thank you.