2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2015 1:46 PM by pixelevolved

Can you display a users email on password retrieve confirmation page?

pixelevolved

Hey Community,

What I am wanting to achieve is:

1. User clicks the 'forgot password' link

2. Fills in the field asking for their username (which could be anything)

3. Land on the 'password retrieve confirmation' page that says "Thank you, an instructions to reset your password has been sent to {module_emailaddress}".

Now I get that the module won't work as the user isn't logged in, but is there a way to pull and display the email based on a username (when not logged in)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Can you display a users email on password retrieve confirmation page?
          sbshields

Hi,

You can't do that because BC doesn't store the passwords as plain text. When a Password is stored on a server, it goes through a hash process for better security. If someone hacks the BC servers, they would find it very difficult to go and leak those usernames and passwords without the hash key and some brute force work. I'm sure others on here who understand password security better than I do would be able to give you the correct information on how it works.

To answer your question, No you can't send someone their password.

• 2. Re: Can you display a users email on password retrieve confirmation page?
            pixelevolved Level 1

Thank you for your answer. Very informative but I may not explained myself clearly sorry.

I don't want to display or send a password (and the token system works fine).

I just want it to display their email address, that the token has been sent too, on the "Password Retrieve Confirmation".

I hope that clarifies what I am after. And once again thank you for your time for originally looking into it