Today we're pleased to announce that the next version of AIR is available for immediate download. In addition to important bug and security fixes AIR 16 now contains support for iOS 64-bit applications along with significant Stage3D improvements!
Below are some of the key features and benefits of AIR 16. Please see our release notes for full details.
- iOS 64-bit Support
As many of you are aware, Apple has recently changed their iOS requirements to enforce 64-bit compatibility. We’re pleased to announce that the AIR 16 SDK can now be used to generate universal IPA binaries, which will run on both 32bit and 64bit iOS devices. Going forward, every IPA generated using AIR SDK 16 and above will be a universal binary and there is no change required in the packaging commands for this support.
Please note that support for creating universal IPA binaries will only be available in the new compiler. The legacy compiler is not (and will not be) compatible with iOS 64-bit. Because of this, it will be removed with version 16 of the AIR SDK. To ensure that Adobe as well as third party tools are able to work with this AIR SDK, the -useLegacyAOT option will continue to exist, but will be internally mapped to the new compiler.
With this change, any ANE that gets packaged in the application should contain the universal native libraries. Failing to do so will result in “Apple App Store allows only universal applications. <binary name> is not a universal binary. Please change build settings in Xcode project to "Standard Architecture" to create universal library/framework” error while packaging the ipa.
To learn more about the improved packaging engine, please read Faster Compiling with AIR for iOS.
If you encounter packaging or runtime issues, please report them to us over at http://bugbase.adobe.com. Please provide detailed steps to reproduce along with sample projects. If you'd like to keep your code private, please feel free to email attachments along with your bug number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stage3D Wireframe Mode Support
To help designers and developers create robust and efficient 3D content, we've added Wireframe support into AIR desktop. This option can be changed by setting Context3D's setFillMode() to "wireframe" or "solid".
- Stage3D - Standard Constrained Profile
In version 14 of the Runtime we added the new Standard profile to desktop systems. In Version 15 we expanded that to mobile devices in AIR. In Flash Player 16 we've added a new Standard Constrained profile. Like Baseline Constrained, Standard Constrained targets older and lower powered GPUs on both desktop and mobile devices. While Standard profile reached ~21% of iOS devices, Standard Constrained can now reach more than 85%. Developers can access this by using the new STANDARD_CONSTRAINED constant in Context3DProfile. The chart below breaks down the differences between the different profiles that are available.
- [iPhone 6 Plus] Wrong screen size and dpi is returned through the runtime APIs. (3829474)
- [iOS] [New fast packager] Some applications compiled with older ActionScript compiler won’t work with new fast packaging engine but when rebuild again with latest ActionScript compiler apps work fine. (3837665)
- Geolocation services are not working (3916071)
- [iOS8, iPhone] Application hangs on returning back to stage after importing an image from gallery. (3912961)
- An error is thrown with D.eval library (3857582)
- [AIR Desktop]AIR Runtime crashes when using worker feature in a complex application.(3841682)
- Multiple security and stability fixes
- [iOS]Unable to install the application on iOS Simulator after updating iOS SDK and iPhone simulator with 7.1. (3833912)
- [iOS8, iPad] Application hangs on returning back to stage after importing an image from gallery on iPad. (3916940)
- [iOS] App Screen does not render properly when device is rotated to upside down position. (3916521)
- [iOS] Landscape launch image twitches to portrait when aspectRatio is set to landscape mode in application.xml (3916056)
- [Android] StageText not visible after screen rotation. (3821523)
- [iOS iPhone 6 Plus] iPad Launch image is displayed on iPhone 6 Plus in standard display mode. (3836781)
AIR 16 runtime for Windows: 18.104.22.168 Runtime Download
AIR 16 runtime for Macintosh: 22.214.171.124 Runtime Download
AIR 16 SDK & Compiler for Windows: 126.96.36.1992 SDK & Compiler Download
AIR 16 SDK & Compiler for Macintosh: 188.8.131.522 SDK & Compiler Download
Note: To provide all the all the necessary tools for our developers in one place and avoid having to download multiple components, we are packaging Adobe AIR 16 SDK and ActionScript Compiler 2.0 in a single SDK called “Adobe AIR 16 SDK & Compiler”.
AIR SDK 16 (Compatible with Flex) for Windows: 184.108.40.2062 SDK Windows Download
AIR SDK 16 (Compatible with Flex) for Macintosh: 220.127.116.112 SDK Macintosh Download
Previous versions of the AIR runtime and SDK can be found on the Archived AIR SDK and Runtimes page