8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2015 3:11 PM by turnleftkr

Problems cutting a sequence into another sequence

amhoyt Level 1

Hello,

We have followed the steps outlined here:  Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Edit from sequences loaded into the Source monitor  to cut a sequence into another sequence without it nesting.  We are on Premiere Pro 2014.1.   We often need to work in the same episode but want to combine the work at some point so we need to be able to mark in and out points on a sequence in the source monitor and cut that into a pre existing sequence on the timeline.  We have turned off the 'nest' button in the upper left hand corner of the time line but it randomly works.  Sometimes it nests, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it just crashes.

We have tried very short sequences and have better luck with them, but we need to be able to cut in more than two minutes of material at a time.  Cut and paste also doesn't work.  This is a huge inconvenience in our editing pipeline and very frustrating since both Final Cut and Avid do it easily.  Is there a fix?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Problems cutting a sequence into another sequence
          turnleftkr Level 1

Same problem here. Avid and FCP7 have it. PP can only cut from Source to Program as far as I know, and speaking for myself I like to mark in the sequence so that I can see it all... Adobe needs to add this function  to PP, as well as a toggle button (Source>program>source). If enough of us suggest it Adobe should listen...

• 2. Re: Problems cutting a sequence into another sequence
            shooternz Level 6
            Cut and paste also doesn't work.

Works perfectly for me. Win 7 CC2014.1

Set In and Out - CtrlC >goto Different Sequence> CtrlV

PP can only cut from Source to Program as far as I know, and speaking for myself I like to mark in the sequence so that I can see it all...

I dont understand how you want this to work or what you are saying ?   Tell us more.

Source to Program editing seems logical to me.

ie open Nest in Source window> select In and Out > Overlay /Insert or Drag

• 3. Re: Problems cutting a sequence into another sequence
              turnleftkr Level 1

Hi shooternz,

What I meant is that you can't mark your IN and OUT in the sequence on the TIMELINE and then load that into the SOURCE WINDOW and cut that into another sequence on the TIMELINE. This would be a great feature for those of us who shoot dual system with multiple tracks of audio. btw I rarely if ever edit nested sequences into other sequences...

• 4. Re: Problems cutting a sequence into another sequence
                shooternz Level 6

Just asking.

If you Mark IN and Out...and Copy it...why do you need to go to the Source Monitor to paste it elsewhere in the same or another sequence?

I am not sure how multiple double system audio tracks are benefitted either.

Here is a workaround for you maybe.

Mark In and Out in your Sequence eg a number of clips.

Right Click > NEST

Drag Nest into Source Monitor from Project Bin Location

• 5. Re: Problems cutting a sequence into another sequence
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Turn Left,

What I meant is that you can't mark your IN and OUT in the sequence on the TIMELINE and then load that into the SOURCE WINDOW and cut that into another sequence on the TIMELINE. This would be a great feature for those of us who shoot dual system with multiple tracks of audio. btw I rarely if ever edit nested sequences into other sequences...

You can achieve the same thing if you load the sequence into the Source Monitor, mark In and Out there, and then cut that into another sequence. Can't you do that?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 6. Re: Problems cutting a sequence into another sequence
                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi AM Hoyt,

We have followed the steps outlined here:  Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Edit from sequences loaded into the Source monitor  to cut a sequence into another sequence without it nesting.  We are on Premiere Pro 2014.1.  

Great.

We have tried very short sequences and have better luck with them, but we need to be able to cut in more than two minutes of material at a time.  Cut and paste also doesn't work.  This is a huge inconvenience in our editing pipeline and very frustrating since both Final Cut and Avid do it easily.  Is there a fix?

I just created a test sequence with an hour of multiple clips and was easily able to cut sections of that into a another sequence. The feature is functioning perfectly and as expected for me. I tested on my MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.5, 2.7 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 650M.

You may want to conduct standard troubleshooting procedures, including trashing preferences, media cache, preview files, repairing permissions, checking permissions on all Adobe preference folders, and if none of those things work, reinstalling.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 7. Re: Problems cutting a sequence into another sequence
                      turnleftkr Level 1

hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response... Yes, that is what I do now, but many editors (including myself) like to make their marks in the timeline, toggle that to the source monitor and then make their edit into the sequence - just the way I prefer to work,  and you can easily work this way in Media Composer and using the command keys you can do it in FCP7. PP is otherwise a very useable program that would be made even better by adding this simple feature...

• 8. Re: Problems cutting a sequence into another sequence
                        turnleftkr Level 1

shooternz

thanks for your workaround...  Might work for some but I generally don't like to use a cut and paste method when I edit and nesting your sequences can cause real headaches for your sound mix down the line. Most sound mixers prefer non-nested audio... again thanks for taking the time to respond