7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 5:53 AM by Willi Adelberger

Urgent - help with Text direction in InDesign CS4

JerusalemNun

Hello,

I use InDesign CS4 on Windows 7. It's a standard version (without options for right-to-left languages).

Whenever I make a new text frame, it seems to have a right-to-left "logic" of the text. The text types left to right, but the period in the end would go all the way right.

It also mixes up tabs. It looks like this:

Wrong Text.jpg

Instead of:

CorrectText.jpg

Usually I get around it by pasting another correctly formatted text-frame or text, and it works.

Now I'm trying to create a new document with master frame (in order to be able to easily change the layout successively of a many-paged document), where I need to insert existing (formatted) text. But this text take this "right to left logic", whether I past the text, or even a whole text frame.

I could find nothing in the character/paragraph options to get rid of this.

I would greatly appreciate if you could help me.

with respect,

Jerusalem Nun.

• 1. Re: Urgent - help with Text direction in InDesign CS4
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Probably you have imported a format or formatting from a RTL version. This can only be shown and use but cannot be edited in your version. You need to delete that format and create new formats from the scratch. Maybe in a complete new document.

• 2. Re: Urgent - help with Text direction in InDesign CS4
            JerusalemNun Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is, that mosty when I *start *a new document, this is the

original way of text it has, and I have to copy other text that doesn't

have it, in order to over come it, but here it doesn't work.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 7:15 AM, Willi Adelberger <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Urgent - help with Text direction in InDesign CS4

Delete InDesign's preferences to avoid it for new documents.

• 4. Re: Urgent - help with Text direction in InDesign CS4
                JerusalemNun Level 1

I did.

now when I start a new document and type text, it's normal.

When I paste the text/whole text frame from the other file (where it looks

normal), in the new file it reverses it.

(Also, the tabs singns, which normally are ">>", are in the other

direction, like this: "<<").

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Willi Adelberger <forums_noreply@adobe.com

• 5. Re: Urgent - help with Text direction in InDesign CS4

This behaviour is normal. Changing the default property of any style, when no document is open, changes the style for every new document, but not for existing document.

Take a look what is your basic style where all other styles are build up on it, in your case, go to the paragraph style and look what is the basic style which was used.

If the default style was used (it is the one in brackets), you have always a problem. You should not use it in any case.

1. Because you don't have a ME version of InDesign you can't change direction directly, but you can create a new document with the default settings and the same paragraph (and character, table and cell styles) in a new document without RTL styles. Save this document, no content is required.
                  2. Go to the 'infected' document, open the paragraph style panel and in the panel menu take "Load all text styles", select the new document and overwrite with the incoming styles.
                  3. If necessary you might repeat it with the Table, Cell, Character and Object Styles, as all of them have some kind of direction settings.

I don't know how good your styles were created, you have to adjust your document. And I would strongly recommend—I repeat—I strongly recommend to work always with styles.

• 6. Re: Urgent - help with Text direction in InDesign CS4
                    JerusalemNun Level 1

Dear Willi,

Thank you for your time and patience with me.

1. What would be the setting to look for in the paragraph styles?

The only setting I found that made it right direction, was in

Justification, changing to "Adobe (Paragraph or line) Composer" from

"World-ready Composer", but this makes the first letter in many paragraphs

simply disappear.

2. The styles I created in the old document, are based on "no paragraph

style" (and then one on another between them, but not on "basic") and they

look fine on the old text (which was before deleting InDesign preferences),

and when I copied text to the new document, they were all automatically

imported, but in the new one they look "wrong".

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Willi Adelberger <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 7. Re: Urgent - help with Text direction in InDesign CS4

As you don't have any ME edition, you cant see any part of the UI which is controlling reading direction.

Do you know someone else who has an ME version running? Go to him and repair your files.