4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 2:52 PM by Kasha H

Lightroom keyword hierarchy flattened

Kasha H

how do I prevent Lightroom keyword hierarchy from being flattened after editing file in PS then saved as in PS, from being flattened bring back into LR. This might also happen when editing in Perfect Photo Suite, but I am not sure.

Message was edited by: Barry Harbroe

• 1. Re: Lightroom keyword hierarchy flattened
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

That doesn't happen with my LR 5.7.1, Photoshop CC 2014.  Please provide more details about your configuration and the exact sequence of commands that cause the problem.

• 2. Re: Lightroom keyword hierarchy flattened
            Kasha H Level 1

Sorry, now that I posted the question, I don't seem to be able to repeat the problem, even though it has been happening often. Perhaps, it's not happening the way I thought. I will terminate this question for now. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Lightroom keyword hierarchy flattened
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

LR records the hierarchical keywords in the photo's metadata, and some tools like Photoshop will preserve that metadata as you edit.  But there is no widely implemented industry standard for preserving that metadata, so it is very possible that other editing tools will drop it, and you'll end up with non-hierarchical (flattened) keywords.

• 4. Re: Lightroom keyword hierarchy flattened
                Kasha H Level 1

I guess I will have to be more detective like and determine when it happens consistently and try and fix my keyword list immediately. It certainly is a pain and time consuming verifying that your photos and keyword are corrected. Even though I thought I knew when it happened, obviously I didn't. Once I find out, it would be better to have a strategy at that point to correct the keywords and eliminate them right away, since LR has no way of warning you or knowing not to add new keywords.