3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 7:07 AM by Szalam

Upgrades to improve workflow to GPU, CPU, and HD?

barnybear

Hi i recently ran some test using a greyscale 3D robot4js.aep download from a After Effects CS6 CUDA/RAYTRACE Benchmark Chart | loopOut("continue") collecting data on folks render times given their set up. I noticed my setup resulted in times of 1 hours where on average the time was about 30 mins.

My setup is A10-6850K 4.5Ghz, 20GB RAM (1600Mhz), 120GB SDD (used for Adobe) and GT730 (384 Cuda) 2GB DRR5. I know that neither the cpu nor the graphic card is less than i deal, but its my next purchase and workflow i want your opinions on. See i intend to network  render on a 4 node server, each node has dual quad cpu@2.5Ghz with 8GB of ram over gigabyte network, rendering the same robot4js.aep and using my desktop too, only took 8 mins. So i have the rendering side sorted from that example, i haven't tried a project with video and effects yet as this is the very subject i need advise on.

My intention is to shoot on a semi decent DLSR Lumix G5 (AVHD or MP4) 25FPS 1080 and then capture using a BMD instensity pro to get uncompressed footage of a type, to reduce the burden on the CPU. So storage being the next area to resolve i have purchased a Raid Controller (128mb cache) and considering stripping Some 15k drives i have with RAID 0, to get some performance hit, but also have 120GB SDD, 750GB (7200rpm), so not sure what Raid method. So will probably need to purchase storage to balance out configuration of the array to max performance and storage! So now i thinking can add to my GPU and another GT730 in the hope Mercury Playback Engine sees the total cores / video ram or will the BMD instensity pro pickup the load of playing the video streams in preview, leaving effects for GPU/ CPU?

Lots of mis-information and ambiguity about BMD integrating into Mercury or  is their own codec or do they use their own plugin, but worse scenario with dealing with uncompressed video format and some effects, with maybe some 3D objects (text / graphics) that utilise lighting and possibly some green screen. All the output is going onto youtube at 1080. So mainly i need to be able preview video scrubbing through clips, edit and warp stabilise when required, then apply some effects and 3D and to draft preview of section as i go along, keeping background cache and pre rendering comps if required. So i can freely arrange things at some resolution smoothly.

If BMD card is not helping in playback and an extra GT730 wont get recognised, do i consider Geforce 760 or Quadro k2200 as the next purchase, this would blow my budget. To be honest their is a lot of speculation about Quadro range below K5200, that speed comparisons suggest unless your software employs all of the additional technology that comes with, if not better with pure cuda, speed boost from a Geforce.

Do i consider a new rig and cpu ( intel so expensive) and not sure if the A10-7800 is marginally better on the cpu side. I have to remember that my intention is to render over the network, thats if my GPU setup has not surpassed my old 32 core server. I could always render off comps to uncompressed clips on the server whilst working on the next section, importing that and run a collect before rendering the next section?

Recap

Raid controllers and Raid 0 array, does this reduce the load on the cpu when using uncompressed video. Will SAS drives and SDD be sufficient for playback.

BMD instensity Pro, will this have impact on the playback of video (uncompressed or not) in preview or comp windows or just on the HDMI output (requires buying a monitor)  or both.

GPU, will Adobe CC recognize two GT 730, if not SLI together (not sure if nvidia control panel will, with installing special driver). If not, is there any real benefit given my requirements reaching for K2200 or will GTX 750i.

CPU, will Intel i7 and new rig and GT 730 improve on my current situ more than GPU upgrade.

its a bit long, sorry, but any suggestion will help

• 1. Re: Upgrades to improve workflow to GPU, CPU, and HD?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

barnybear wrote:

will the BMD instensity pro pickup the load of playing the video streams in preview, leaving effects for GPU/ CPU?

That sounds like how Premiere and other NLE's work. However, AE and other pixel-based compositors do not work like that. They calculate the values of every pixel in every frame, come up with a new pixel, and then play those pixels back as a video stream. More importantly, AE and all the other pixel based compositing apps, always work internally with completely uncompressed pixel data.

If you're using CC, I would suggest starting to work with Cinema 4D (which comes for free with AE!) instead of the ray-traced renderer. Granted, the ray-traced renderer as accelerated by a decent GPU may render faster, but C4D is a lot more powerful and, more importantly is still undergoing development. The After Effects team is not developing the ray-traced renderer anymore. It is considered obsolete. All of their 3d development is going into improving the integration of C4D's render engine into AE. If you want a workflow prepared for the future, I would start working with C4D: details of CINEMA 4D integration with After Effects CC

And, at that point, the GPU matters very little for After Effects. It still matters for Premiere and it still matters for some third-party plugins for AE (Red Giant's Universe, Video Copilot's Element 3d, etc.), so I wouldn't ignore it entirely.

barnybear wrote:

Recap

Raid controllers and Raid 0 array, does this reduce the load on the cpu when using uncompressed video. Will SAS drives and SDD be sufficient for playback.

BMD instensity Pro, will this have impact on the playback of video (uncompressed or not) in preview or comp windows or just on the HDMI output (requires buying a monitor)  or both.

GPU, will Adobe CC recognize two GT 730, if not SLI together (not sure if nvidia control panel will, with installing special driver). If not, is there any real benefit given my requirements reaching for K2200 or will GTX 750i.

CPU, will Intel i7 and new rig and GT 730 improve on my current situ more than GPU upgrade.

Having a RAID setup would help with playback of uncompressed video in Premiere, but not as much in AE since AE needs to load everything into RAM before it plays a preview. And, in either case, it won't help the CPU.

BMD Intensity Pro would possibly help with playback of video in Premiere, but not in AE's comp window.

Info on the GPU in AE here: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

For AE, a better processor (and more RAM) is almost always a better option than a big GPU.

• 2. Re: Upgrades to improve workflow to GPU, CPU, and HD?
            barnybear Level 1

Thanks

Its good to hear your opinion. I thought long and hard,  in away, i have hopefully improved matters slightly by purchasing a rig with hex core, 12 thread with 12GB, this can be upgraded to 12 core, 24 threads and 24GB, this rig comes with Quadro 4000 (possibly better than GT 730). Its certainly older than my present setup and should take the raid card that's on its way too. But you for the link you kindly put forward, it mention Fast Draft and Swap buffer greatly befitting from better Cuda GPU, so be interesting to compare this new setup, Quadro 4000 has fewer cores, but 256 bit pipe, scores higher in memory bandwidth too. I am hoping that some of the other tech on the card improves things, single / double precision, etc ..  As i said i will mainly be rendering off to a network server farm with 32 cores and now can add 12 threads all with a combined 44GB of Ram, so my workflow should improve.  Interesting what you say about Cinema 4D, but who has the time to learn another interface and workflow, I'm still trying to get around Premier and AE. I would like to maybe consider blender has an alternative, for video editing, composition and 3D all in one eco, plus it has a script able api and a games engine, which ****** my coding curiosity.

Hoping to have some interesting results from some comparison on the new setup.

• 3. Re: Upgrades to improve workflow to GPU, CPU, and HD?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

barnybear wrote:

Interesting what you say about Cinema 4D, but who has the time to learn another interface and workflow,

You do! Cinema 4D is arguably the easiest 3d package to learn. Plus there are some good resources in the link I gave you that should get you up and running quickly. And, if you're really interested, here's an in-depth tutorial series from Cineversity: Cineware and Cinema 4D Lite In Production, Part 01: Introduction and Footage Prep - Cineversity

barnybear wrote:

I would like to maybe consider blender has an alternative, for video editing, composition and 3D all in one eco, plus it has a script able api and a games engine, which ****** my coding curiosity.

Blender does have a lot of amazing tech in it - especially considering that it's free! Although, if you want a more AE/Premiere-friendly workflow, C4D has pretty good integration with the (more widely used) Unity game engine. For those interested, there's a tutorial series here: Unity Game Development with Cinema 4D, Part 01: Introduction - Cineversity