4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 7:15 AM by A.T. Romano

Insufficient Disc Space for Burning

marksyder

My setup: Premiere Elements 12 running on an Apple iMac running OSx Yosemite. Samsung external blu-ray writer.

I have a recording of a play from my local amateur dramatic society. I have successfully burnt to a DVD-RW complete with menus and photograph gallery. When I insert a DVD-R it tells me there is insufficient disc space. The project is 4.38 Gb and Disc Utility tells me that the DVD has 4.7 Gb free. My hard disc has 826.96 Gb free. I have successfully written to other discs from this spindle in the past. I've tried two discs with the same result.

I tried burning to a folder then burning a disc using Toast, but the disc auto-played instead of displaying the menu (despite auto-play being unticked).

Advice would be welcome.

• 1. Re: Insufficient Disc Space for Burning
          marksyder Level 1

I've now managed to get discs successfully burning with Toast - I needed to use the Video TS folder option rather than DVD Video.

I still don't understand why I can no longer burn with Premiere Elements, but at least I have a workaround.

• 2. Re: Insufficient Disc Space for Burning
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark

The DVD disc labelled 4.7 GB/120 min in reality is 4.38 GB, not 4.7 GB. If the Space Required in the burn dialog is greater than 4.38 GB (no check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space", you will get the "insufficient disc space message". If you want to continue in that project, then you have to place a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space". That allows the program to lower the bitrate (from its max 8.00 Mbps) to make the fit. The more the program needs to lower the bitrate the more likely lower quality end result.

You can also consider using DVD Double Layer Single Sided disc which is labelled 8.5 GB/240 min (in reality that disc is 7.95 GB).

Based on the above, I am not sure why Toast was your answer unless it uses these adjusts automatically out of your view.

Please review and consider and then let me know if I have interpreted your question and workflows correctly.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Insufficient Disc Space for Burning
              marksyder Level 1

Thanks. I should have pointed out that "Fit Content To Available Space" was ticked. Elements said that it needed 4.38 Gb for the video, but Toast said 4.2.

• 4. Re: Insufficient Disc Space for Burning
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark

Thanks for the reply and additional information.

Please consider disc capacity, file size, and bitrate....

If your Premiere Elements burn dialog Quality area was showing 4.38 GB with "Fit Content to Available Space" enabled, what was it showing for Bitrate.

Unless the program had to lower the bitrate to 1.69 Mbps or where it could not lower the bitrate any further to make the fit, you should have been able to get a burn to disc in Premiere Elements. The quality would have been worse case at the extremely lowered bitrate, but a burn to nonetheless.

If you want to pursue this, we could compare the Space Required and Bitrate with and without "Fit Content to Available Space" to get at

what triggered the Insufficient Disc Space message. We could also look at the Scratch Disk "Disc Encoding" to find to where it is

directed and how much free space is at that location.

If you have the time and want to follow up on this, please let us know.

Thank you.

ATR