6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 10:32 AM by Rafael Aviles

Resetting (or 'Trashing') the Lightroom Preferences file

Marion49 Level 1

Hi,

in an effort to make the edit-in option in LR work, I found instructions that I need to reset the preference file for LR. I followed the following directions, see below.

However, even with holding the option key down on my iMac, as directed, I cannot find the folder and file. I do not have a Library folder under my username, but only one under hard drive, and in there I can find com.adobe.photoshop files, but no LR file. Can anybody help me?

Preference and other file locations in Lightroom 5

What's covered

To the top

Important information for all platforms

• The files and file locations given here are defaults. Some of these locations can be customized in the Lightroom \Preferences or Catalog Settings dialog boxes.
      • While troubleshooting, when possible, rename files instead of deleting them.
      • If possible, back up catalogs on a different hard disk or volume from the disk where your catalog is located. For more information on backing up in Lightroom, read Back up a catalog in Lightroom Help and watch Backing up your catalog on Adobe TV. (The video was produced for Lightroom 4 but still applies to Lightroom 5.)

File locations in Mac OS X

Note:

The user Library file is hidden by default on Mac OS X 10.7 and later. For temporary access to the user Library file, press Option and choose Go > Library in the Finder.

The Lightroom application file

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.app

Preferences

/Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist

Catalog

/Users/[user name]/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat

Preview cache

/Users/[user name]/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata

Smart Preview cache

/Users/[user name]/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom 5 Catalog Smart Previews.lrdata

Catalog lock file

/Users/[user name]/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat.lock

Note: The lock file prevents the catalog from being overwritten when in use.

Catalog journal file

/Users/[user name]/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat-journal

Note: Open catalogs use the journal file to check for incomplete database records. Do not delete the journal file unless you're deleting its associated catalog, as well.

Catalog backup

/Users/[user name]/Pictures/Lightroom/Backups/[date and time of backup]/Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat

Presets and templates

/Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/[preset or template folder]/[preset or template filename.lrtemplate]

Serial number

/Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Lightroom 5.0 Registration