13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 11:27 PM by Daniel Sokolovskiy

Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze

Daniel Sokolovskiy Level 1

Hello there!

First of all, I'm a new person to After Effects. I bet I just doing something wrong, but anyway I would like to ask an advice how to fix my issue because googling such subject won't solve it.

The point is following:

1. I rendering 120-minutes long video for YouTube. It almost static with no effects, just with a few simple fade-in/out transitions on couple of layers. You can find an example of such video on YouTube by this link: Daniel Lesden - Rave Podcast 056: guest mix NitroDrop (Israel) - YouTube (for some reason, specifically this video was rendered successfully previously).
      2. Process is going very well at first, 1 minute of playback rendering for about 30 seconds, so first hour of the video rendering for 30 minutes.
      3. The problem starts at about 70% of overall progress: it start to slowing down, and then goes to 1 frame rendering for 1 second. As you can imagine, it's a pain for such long videos, it will take a days to finish last 20-30%.

Composition and render settings are following:

• Size: 1280 x 720 px
      • FPS: 30
      • Format: Quicktime
      • Codec: ProRes 422. I've also tried: Animation, Photo JPEG, another ProRes and even H.264, but outcome was the same.

Output module settings screenshot:

Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 15.28.57 .png

Multi-processing settings:

Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 15.23.54 .png

On this point I have to say that I've tried many different options with amount of CPU, RAM or with Multi-processing option turned off completely, but in the end it all was the same.

After Effects version: CC 2014 (still on trial version, but it shouldn't be a problem since Adobe don't have any limitations for trial versions as far as I know).

Computer and OS information:

osx.jpg

Any advices please? I'll very appreciate every possible solutions.

• 1. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My first question is about your choice of tools for a two hour project in After Effects which is "almost static with no effects, just with a few simple fade-in/out transitions on couple of layers." After Effects is completely the wrong tool for such a project. You should be using Premiere Pro. Even iMovie would do the job. The render time will be greatly reduced. After Effects is a tool for creating "effects" as shots or short sequences never intended as a long form editor.

Your problem is probably caused by some kind of memory problem with AE not freeing up memory on such a long render. The other problem probably has to do with MP rendering. You should probably have that turned off because it still isn't working correctly in every situation. You've allocated only 1 GB of ram per CPU, you need at least 2 and with only 16 you're pushing MP rendering much harder than you should be. Your MP settings are most likely contributing to your memory problem which is probably causing the slowdown.

• 2. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with Rick about using Premiere for this instead of AE. It will go much faster and it's a much better way to work as you've described. AE is for creating shots; Premiere is for putting shots together to make a project.

I disagree with Rick about multiprocessing; I think it might be good to use in your situation - especially since you said you have the same problem with it off. Although, I do agree that you should tweak your settings. Put at least 2 GB of RAM per core.

What sort of things are in your scene? Giant JPEGs? Footage? (I can't see your example video due to restrictions on the network where I work.)

You might consider messing with the "secret" preferences to purge after every so many frames.

Although, you really should just use Premiere for this.

• 3. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze

Thank you for reply Rick.

I've choose AE as I feel it much more comfortable to work with. As being said, there are almost no effects, yet still in iMovie even those rare transitions would be a pain in the ***. I also doing a bit more complex type of videos with audio spectrum (example — Daniel Lesden - Out Of This World (Original Mix) - YouTube), so having both templates for such videos and long ones in one program, After Effects, are just makes it easy.

As for Multi-processing, I being said above I've tried every possible options there, from allocating different amount of CPU/RAM to completely turning it off.

• 4. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze

Thank you for reply Szalam. Regarding AE choose for such tasks, please read my reply to Rick above .

In that scene are exactly the following:

• 1x JPG 600x600 px
                • 1x JPG 1280x720 px
                • 3x Text layers
                • 1x Audio file

And another thing I have to mention, just tried this:

1. When rendering slow down has starting (at 75%), I clicked "stop"
                2. Then I started to render again, but only last part (from 75 to 100%), and it goes fast just as normal.

So I guess the problem is not in that specific scene or part of the composition.

• 5. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze

If you will take a little bit of time to learn Premiere, this whole thing will get much, much faster for you. It's like using a spoon to cut through a steak. You could do it with a spoon, but there's a better tool to use for the job.

If rendering from where it left off works just fine, then it's likely a RAM issue of some kind and the "secret" preferences would be a possible solution.

• 6. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze

It would take you about 10 minutes to set up the project described in Premiere Pro, you would have real time previews and it would probably render near real time. Take the time to learn more tools.

Even the really boring and unoriginal in not at all creative Daniel Lesden video you referred to (pardon my artistic snobbery), if I were to recreate it, I would take the audio into AE, create a comp that was about 1/4 as tall as a standard HD comp, find the point where the audio loops, trim the comp to that length, and render just the audio spectrum effect in AE, then apply a radial blur and color treatment to the footage in Premiere Pro, add the rendered audio spectrum, loop it if needed, and send it to the render using the AME in Premiere Pro by adding it to the cue and moving on to my next shot. The most important thing in the long run to learn about video production is how to work efficiently. There is no bigger creativity killer than fussing with tools you are not using properly. Imagine trying to sculpt a statue of an elephant using only a nail and a tack hammer.

As for MP... I always look there first if there's a render problem because it just doesn't work like it should yet and 1GB per core is way wrong. CPU cores like to have 4 and if your project slows down with MP off, turning it on isn't going to help the memory cache problem that is hanging things up.

Is your audio file an mp3? if so, that could also be causing you problem. Convert it to a linear PCM uncompressed 48 Khz 16 bit wav file or AIFF. They are much more efficient and the standard for video production.

• 7. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze

Thanks for Premiere advice, I'll dig into it.

I tried all possible Multi-processing options, seems it's not work. I used WAV, MP3 and M4A files as an audio source, makes no difference.

If it is a memory leak/cache issue, is there any way to solve it for this case?

• 8. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze

Other than setting Purge in the Secret Preferences for AE. Just hold down the shift key when you open AE preferences>General then move to the bottom tab and set AE to purge every 10 frames or so. See if that helps.

Make sure nothing else is running when you render. Try searching for Memory Diag for Mac. It is a utility that I have on all my machines that purges memory. I use it all the time.

Rocky Sand Studio - Handmade Apps for Mac OS X

• 9. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze

Thank you for the tips! Didn't knew about the 'secret' tab in preferences.

Gonna put a render queue for the night, I'll keep it posted.

• 10. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze

"open AE preferences>General then move to the bottom tab and set AE to purge every 10 frames or so"

— I've set this parameter to 10 as suggested, and here are the last render queue results:

Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 8.08.30 .png

1. First 60-minutes video rendered superb good for 1 hour 17 minutes.
                            2. Second 120-minutes video goes really badly: it took 8 hours to render about quarter due to error. Here is what I found in the error log: "There is an error in background rendering so switching to foreground rendering after 246 frames completed out of total 216000 frames. (26  ::  142)".

Later I've tried to render second video again, and it was great almost till finish: 1 hour 45 minutes has been rendered for less than an hour. But then it suddenly slowed down (as described in the original post), so I had to stop it. I installed Memory Dig and "optimized" memory before rendering and once during process, but it didn't help. In the end I just rendered last 15 minutes of the video (with no issues) and just merged it into 120-minutes long file using Video Joiner. Pretty sad method, although.

On a third attempt everything was fine until rendering stops by a new error in popup window: "After Effects error: internal verification failure, sorry! {could not find itemframe we just now checked in}".

So the original problem still wasn't solved yet unfortunately.

• 11. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze

Rendering as an image sequence would be helpful until this problem is resolved. Then you can easily pick back up from where a render was stopped. Heck, even if it crashes, you still have useable stuff!

What effects are you using?

• 12. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze

Specifically on these problematic videos only one effect, "Blur", which appear on first 2 seconds only.

• 13. Re: Rendering speed is slowing down during process, almost up to freeze

Last night render queue result:

Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 8.55.53 .png

This time I turned off Multi-processing (again), and the full video actually has been rendered successfully... for 8 hours. Still looks abnormal to me.