6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2015 11:35 PM by Willi Adelberger

Problems with JPGs that have been exported from InDesign

gillybardo

I have used InDesign CS4 for years and recently been upgraded to the Creative Cloud package, I have gone from a PC to a MAC as well.

The problem seems to be when I export a document in InDesign to a JPG file, when I try and use the JPG in other applications such as Powerpoint (for the Mac), the jpg isn't highlighted as an option to insert...like it hasn't been recognised.

I also recently had a problem uploading some jpg photos I had edited and exported to jpg and tried to upload to Snapfish and although I have done this many times before, it said my jpg file was corrupt.

No virus, or anything like that.

Does anyone know whether you can tweak the 'export' settings for indesign, I wondered if it was a compatibility issue?

Anyone help me?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Problems with JPGs that have been exported from InDesign
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

gillybardo wrote:

Does anyone know whether you can tweak the 'export' settings for indesign, I wondered if it was a compatibility issue?

Well of course, there are the settings in InDesign's JPEG Export dialog, but there, all you can really do is make sure you're writing a "baseline" JPG in RGB mode. (Disclaimer: I haven't seen the 'CC' dialog, so there may be more about which I'm unaware.)

...when I try and use the JPG in other applications such as Powerpoint (for the Mac), the jpg isn't highlighted as an option to insert...like it hasn't been recognised.

That sounds like it could be a Microsoft Office issue. Can you insert a JPG that isn't the product of InDesign export? This is also why I mentioned RGB. I've seen Office apps choke on or ignore CMYK JPG's.

The number of posts in this forum on the subject of InDesign's JPEG export is unsettling to me. I truly believe it's a case of "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." Maybe I was "raised differently," figuratively speaking, but it would have never occurred to me to develop a workflow around the regular/routine export of raster images from my page layout application. If JPEG is my intended output, InDesign is the last application I'd reach for, perhaps unless I had a rare and specific need of a raster image depicting an InDesign-originated page layout. But even then, chances are I'd export from InDesign to PDF, then rasterize that by opening in Photoshop. If you need full control over raster image output, Photoshop is the much better bet.

• 2. Re: Problems with JPGs that have been exported from InDesign
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This has come up before, the problem is with the way ID writes the file. An ID generated JPEG has "????" as its creator type. From Photoshop the creator is "8BIM"

• 3. Re: Problems with JPGs that have been exported from InDesign
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could try this AppleScript. It imitates the JPEG export dialog, but the actual export goes via PDF to Photoshop. It solves some of the quality problems others have noted.

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/ExportPDFtoJPEG.zip

• 4. Re: Problems with JPGs that have been exported from InDesign
                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rob Day wrote:

This has come up before, the problem is with the way ID writes the file. An ID generated JPEG has "????" as its creator type. From Photoshop the creator is "8BIM"

Ohh yeah, I forgot about that...

Interestingly, the first string of code in the header of a InDesign-exported JPEG from CS6 in Windows 7 is: ÿØÿà  JFIF     – –  ÿí ,Photoshop 3.0 8BIM í

• 5. Re: Problems with JPGs that have been exported from InDesign
                  gillybardo Level 1

Hi I have always found it useful to be able to export indesign files to jpg and previously using CS4 i was able to do that. Powerpoint had no issue with jpgs that were created from CS4 indesign, it seems to be just ones created from this new InDesign version.

We are all creatures of habit and when we do things repeatedly and then suddenly the option is taken away from us, it leaves us scratching our heads.

I don't want to have to double the process to get the same outcome if I can help it.

I am not technical enough to understand talk of code and script I am afraid. I will just have to find some other word around.

Time consuming but there we are.

• 6. Re: Problems with JPGs that have been exported from InDesign
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

If the JPG exported from InDesign is not acceptable in MS Office it might be not sRGB, but CMYK.

InDesign has a very bad JPG export, but this is seen in a limited quality.

Best way is to work with RGB images in InDesign (as it is always), export as PDF/X-4 and open that in Photoshop and export from there in sRGB color space to any rasterized file type like JPG.