15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2015 6:04 PM by rogue3d

Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014

kalibahlu Level 1

I'm having trouble rendering Quicktime H264 MOV files in both AE and AME.The rendering fails and the error message in AE says, "Rendering error while writing file... An output module failed. The file may be damaged or corrupted (-1610153464)", and in AME, the render fails and the log says Encoding failed, unknown error. I've read online (can't find it now) that computers with a high core count will have trouble rendering Quicktime H264, and sometimes setting the Memory & Multiprocessing prefs to allow less cores will work, but I tried that and it didn't work. My computer has 36 cores, Has anyone had this issue and been able to solve it? Thank you for your help in advance!

• 1. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sorry, but we can't put our fingers on a definitive cause for your woes.  The reason is incomplete information:

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

• 2. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
            kalibahlu Level 1

Thank you for your reply, Dave. I went to the link and went down the list to fill in information:

After Effects CC 2014.2, Version 13.2.0.49, All recent updates installed.

Quicktime Player 7.7.6 (1680.95.31)

Windows 7 Professional, SP 1

Xeon E5-2699v3 18-core x 2

64 GB RAM

64-bit OS

NVIDIA K5200 driver version 341.05

2 internal SSD and 1 internal RAID 0

No third party hardware

No other software running

No third party codecs

Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously is checked

Not using Ray-traced 3D renderer

Render Settings at Best, Full

Output Module:

Format: Quicktime

Video Output: RGB, Millions of Colors, Premultiplied (Matted)

Format Options: Codec: H.264, Quality 100

Rendering Quicktime H264 has never worked for me on this computer, I always have this problem.

Exact Error Message in AE:

After Effects error: Rendering error while writing to file:"<filepath>". An output module failed. The file may be damage or corrupted. (-1610153464)

Exact Error log in AME:

- Encoding Time: 00:00:20

12/24/2014 09:49:27 PM : Encoding Failed

-------------------------------------------------------

Export Error

Error compiling movie.

Unknown error.

- Encoding Time: 00:00:00

12/24/2014 11:28:28 PM : Encoding Failed

Export Error

Error compiling movie.

Unknown error.

I'm able to render out the same file to other formats, such as Quicktime Animation, so no problem with the particular file. This problem is with all AE files.

Please let me know if anything is missing that would help. Thank you again.

• 3. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you render a lossless file out of AE? For example, can you render a QuickTime with the PNG codec? If so, can you bring that file into the Adobe Media Encoder and create an H.264 from that?

If not, is multithreading turned on for your processors? If so, turn it off in the BIOS and try again.

• 4. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
                kalibahlu Level 1

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I can render lossless, but that's the way I doing it when the render failed. I have a feeling you're right about disabling multithreading in BIOS, as much as I was hoping for a less heavy-handed solution. It will be helpful to try it and see if that is the problem. Do you know how to do that? Is it risky at all for my system? Thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

kalibahlu wrote:

Do you know how to do that? Is it risky at all for my system?

No; it will depend on your motherboard.
                  No; just don't mess with other stuff while you're in there if you don't know what it is.

• 6. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
                    kalibahlu Level 1

Thank you I emailed the computer manufacturer to ask them how and I'll let you know how it goes.

• 7. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This is because of a bug in Apple's H.264 encoder for QuickTime. It fails when used on a computer with more than 12 processor cores.

• 8. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
                        kalibahlu Level 1

Ah ha! I've been getting intermittent results with hyperthreading turned off. I was able to render with 18 cores, but then on the next try it wouldn't work. I'll try setting the cores to 12 and see if I get consistent results. Thank you, Todd!

• 9. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
                          kalibahlu Level 1

I set the CPU configuration to 12 cores with hyperthreading disabled, and I'm now able to render H264 in After Effects. But I wonder why Task Manager CPU Usage panel shows 24 active cores with this setting, if anyone knows?

Media Encoder is failing on every output format, so that's a different issue.

Thank you for your help, Szalam and Todd!

• 10. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
                            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

DO NOT attempt to use QuickTime h.264 because Apple isn't really supporting Quicktime h.264, it's buggy, and even if you get a successful render, many devices will choke on the file before playing it back. If you want h.264 then use the AME to do your rendering. If AME is failing then try rendering a lossless master from AE's render cue and compress that in the AME. If AME is still giving you problems uninstall and re-install using the latest version from Creative Cloud.

• 11. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
                              kalibahlu Level 1

Thank you, Rick. I've found that each time I attempt to output H264 in AME (From lossless Animation compression MOV), it fails and corrupts the preferences. After resetting the prefs, other file formats will work fine until I again try H264. I'll try reinstalling the AME..

• 12. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
                                kalibahlu Level 1

I reinstalled AME and it's the same. Attempting to render H264 corrupts the prefs. No big deal, I can just use AE for this format, but I'm curious if this is how AME is behaving for others, if anyone has had the same experience.

• 13. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
                                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No problems at all with AME on OSX 10.10.1 and any CC or CC2014 app

• 14. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
                                    kalibahlu Level 1

I've never had any problem with H264 on OSX 10.8.5 or previous I can always fall back on my Mac if I have to.

• 15. Re: Error rendering H264 MOV in AE CC 2014
                                      rogue3d

multicore processors is not the issue. I have two identical machines both have total 32 core xeon processors, win 7 pro, 32gb ram. Both running latest ae cc 2015, both running latest QuickTime 7. One exports fine to h.264 the other crashes as soon as you hit render.  Only difference is crashing machine has nvidia quadro k2000 while working machine has quadro k4600.

This problem goes back to at least cc12 and still isn't fixed. Disabling cores should never be a solution. You don't remove cylinders in your car's engine when you get a flat tire. I would (and plan too) remove aftereffects  long before I'd Even consider disabling cores.