5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2015 1:34 PM by azmilt

Turn off clip spanning from Canon XF?

azmilt Level 1

Hello.

I'm importing MXF files from a Canon XF300. It breaks long clips into 2gb chunks, and when they're imported into AE it treats it as one file. I'd like to be able to, say, import the fourth segment by itself without the clip spanning. No matter which segment I import it's still treated as one. Sometimes it's easier to find the section I want when working with smaller chunks. How does AE know it's one sequence, and is there a way to turn it off?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Turn off clip spanning from Canon XF?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you installed any software from Canon? What version of AE are you using?

Our Canon MXF files are read individually in AE, so something is different on your end.

That being said, I find it easier to edit in Premiere and then I use the Import Premiere Pro Project menu item in AE.

• 2. Re: Turn off clip spanning from Canon XF?
            azmilt Level 1

I'm using the latest CC 2014.

If the clip is under 6-7 minutes and it's less that 2gb it's fine. It's when there's a long continuous shot for say 20+ min. that it's broken into 2gb or so chunks. It doesn't matter which of the 4 files for instance you import, you always get the whole thing. Sometimes I'd just like to work with the 3rd chunk so I don't have to scrub through the whole thing, especially when I'm wanting to only use a small section of the long shot.

I don't know how it knows, it's not in the xml file the camera products so it must be in the MXF wrapper or something.

• 3. Re: Turn off clip spanning from Canon XF?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's odd. Does Premiere import it as one file too?

• 4. Re: Turn off clip spanning from Canon XF?
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

I don't think it's a mistake.  One big clip makes multi-camera editing a WHOLE lot easier in PP.

• 5. Re: Turn off clip spanning from Canon XF?
                  azmilt Level 1

Well, for anyone who runs into this I have a workaround.

The folder that comes off the camera has the clips that are spanned, a .CIF file, an .XML file and a .SIF file for each segment. The .XML file looks generic, I don't know how to read the other two. If you open them in a text editor it's gibberish, at least to me.

Anyhow, if you copy a segment out of the folder and import it, it just reads the one file. So I'm guess the other files somehow tell AE that it's supposed to be one clip. I think.