2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 4:57 PM by marks96521902

Choppy motion on HDTV but not Laptop / PC

marks96521902

Hi everyone. I recently created a short movie that plays smoothly on my laptops / PC on multiple H.264 settings exported at 24fps. Unfortunately, seemingly no matter what settings I export at, the same clips become quite choppy on my HDTV's. Walking almost looks like teleporting.

Just as a little more info, I've played multiple other MP4 videos on these HDTV's and they run smooth. My setup is I'm playing the file through my laptop and connecting it to the HDTV through the HDMI cable. Any guidance would seriously be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Choppy motion on HDTV but not Laptop / PC
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Can you post a screenshot of the export settings?

Also, many/most HDTV displays cannot handle a native 24p signal (23.976) so the laptop is likely putting out a 59.94 or 60fps signal so there is some interpolation of frames going on and that may be the issue you're seeing.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 2. Re: Choppy motion on HDTV but not Laptop / PC
            marks96521902 Level 1

Hey thanks for the reply Jeff! Here's the last export I did:

1920x1080

Frame Rate: 23.976fps

Field Order: Progressive

Aspect: Square Pixels (1.0)

TV Standard: NTSC

Profile: High

Level: 4.0

Birate Encoding: VBR, 2 Pass

Target Bitrate: 5Mbps

Maximum Bitrate: 5Mbps

Key Frame Distance: 24

Audio Format: AAC

Audio Codec: AAC

Sample Rate: 44100 Hz (this matches the sample rate of the imported MP3, and in turn the sequence setting as I've set it)

Bitrate: 320 kbps

I just noticed that even the source videos from my Canon 70D camera have the same choppy motion through my Philips HDTV's. Also tested through my friend's laptop and HDMI to make sure i wasn't going crazy. Have a good one. Let me know if any more info could be useful.