29 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2015 9:48 AM by A.T. Romano

DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.

FrederickToo

Premiere Elements 13:  using the 'movie menu' and completing it with 'markers', and then 'saving', and using 'preview disk' to check (OK), 'render' and then to 'publish and share'. choosing 'DVD' to write to and it completes OK.  When playing on DVD player, the problem is when trying select on 'menu', cannot select 'scene selection'.  Do not see indication that 'play' has been selected or being able to see the change to 'scene selection', usually shown by a square.   Using to save to 'Computer', when playing you do not see the indication by the square but using the hand-finger you can chose 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.Have tried changing 'movie menu' and many PC and DVD players. Also cannot see 'movie menu' when downloaded to PC using 'publish and share->computer->mpeg or avchd' and playing.

• 1. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

FrederickToo

Premiere Elements 13 does not offer menus for the Timeline content exported to a file saved to the computer hard drive. Always been that way with the except of the webDVD choice which is a flash file with menus. web DVD has been removed from Premiere Elements 13.

Menus are available only for burn to end products.

What specific Premiere Elements 13 Movie Menu theme did you select for your project? I will check it out to determine if I also have problems with the TV Remote when

I am trying to navigate the menu buttons at the TV DVD Player level.

Please confirm what you have already said...when you preview the button navigation in the disc menu customization area there are no problems with the Play or Scene Selection button of the main menu page? How many menu markers did you place - how many main menu markers, scene markers, stop markers? How many menu menu pages did you end up with?

How many scene menu pages did you end up with?

We will be watching for your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
            FrederickToo Level 1

I used 3 scene markers, 1 stop (at end), 1 main menu.

Everything seems to work fine when checking on PE13 application.  When downloading or writing to a DVD and then playing on a DVD player, the main menu shows and the 'play movie' and 'scene selection' shows, but there is no indication of what is selected (that is usually shown by a square at the front of the 'play movie' or 'scene selection).

• 3. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

FrederickToo

What specific menu theme is involved? Which ones gave you the problem.

And you never put a stop marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline. It is not needed and causes an assortment of project ending problems.

Are you getting any Vobulator errors? First thing is to get rid of that stop marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline.

My knowing which menu is involved is important to the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 4. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                FrederickToo Level 1

Removed stop marker; rendered, saved, wrote to DVD; played on DVD player: main menu - no noting on 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.

What is vobulator errors?

• 5. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

FrederickToo

The vobulator error is the error the appears 99.9999% of the time when the user places a stop marker at the end of the last item on the TImeline.

Could you post the following

a. A screenshot of your Timeline content showing the placement of the menu markers which you have reported as 3 scene markers.

b. Name of the specific theme where the problem is occurring.

c. A screenshot of the main menu as it appears in the Preview of the disc menu customization area of the program.

As much as you can of the above would be a great help. Those menu buttons trace back to the placement of the menu markers on the Timeline.

So, I want to make sure we are covering all angles on the Timeline side and on the menu side.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                    FrederickToo Level 1

Here are the 3 screenshot's you wished.

timeline markers.png

main menu.png

preview.png

As noted, you will see the yellow square noting what will start when going OK.  When going to 'publish and share' and 'computer' or 'disk' and download ie: to DVD, put in player and the yellow square does not show and you cannot select either one.  You push OK on the player remote and you have no idea what is going to start.  Also if you get the 'screen selection' and see where the mark was placed, there is no indication of which one is marked to start (highlighted).

• 7. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

FrederickToo

Thanks for the screenshots.

I am doing a run through with Premiere Elements 13 and that specific menu. I will road test it on my TV DVD Player. I had not downloaded any of the menus in 13.

In prior versions, there were some menus where the buttons were just too small.

I should have my results in an hour. If there is a flaw in the menu, the we would need to get into the .psd files for the menus and edit them with Photoshop CS or higher.

If that were the case, it might be easier to use another menu theme. But, let me see my results first. Did you try other menus (even with bigger Play Movie and Scene

Selection buttons in the main menu and still have the same problem?

To be continued....

ATR

• 8. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

FrederickToo

It is not you. That Glass Flowers is a flawed menu.

These are my results from TV DVD player viewing of the Premiere Elements 13 DVD-VIDEO Widescreen with Glass Flowers menu on DVD disc

That yellow box that is supposed to move from button to button controlled by your TV Remote for selection is not there in the main menu.

It was not easy, but I was able to get into the scene menu, and there is no yellow box there for any of the scenes.

That yellow box is called the highlight for the menu design. Using Photoshop, we would need to go into the Layers Palette of the .psd file for each of the main

menu and scene menu and correct the highlight situation for each menu. I will examine those files in the morning and try to determine the cause of the problem and if we

can edit those file to correct the highlight problem.

Is using an alternative menu a possibility for you. I can get a working menu from Glass Flowers, but it is going to take some "surgery" on Glass

Flowers .psd files with Photoshop. Are you interested in doing that after I give you a detailed how to?

Please let me know what you want to do.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                          FrederickToo Level 1

Thank you for your help.  I did try others and the same problem was noted, but give them a try.   Thanks again.

• 10. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

FrederickToo

Thanks for the follow ups.

I have looked at Glass Flowers in 12 and 13 in DVD-VIDEO standard and widescreen on DVD disc, viewing the DVD-VIDEO end product on two different TV DVD setups.

No highlights are presenting in the main menu or the scene menu.

A preliminary look at the highlight layers and coding in the Layers Palette of the menu's psd file does not pin point the issue. There are several variables at that level that I want to look at

in depth.

I have some tests that I would like you to do to make sure that we are not dealing with more than what we think we are.

1. Premiere Elements 13 - Movie Menu Slideshow/Pan and Zoom. This menu is setup so that the highlighting is done in the text and not with a graphics next to the text.

2. Premiere Elements 13 - Movie Menu Seasons/Pink Tulips. This menu is setup so that the highlighting is done using a graphics next to the text.

Both of the above work on my 2 TV DVD player setups so that I can navigate the main menu and scene menu using the menu's highlighting with the TV Remote.

Please let me know if these particular Premiere Elements 13 menus work for you also.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                              FrederickToo Level 1

Thank you.  You are correct, those two you suggested worked fine.

The one thing that I noticed and should be checked is that the ones you suggested did NOT have music.  So maybe you should check others that have music as part of the main menu and if they work or not.

Thanks!

• 12. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

FrederickToo

Thanks for the results.

I have taken the music file out of the Glass Flowers and placed an appropriately renamed copy of it with the Pink Tulips theme.

The situation is still the same with regard to presence or no presence of menu highlights at TV DVD player playback.

a. Glass Flowers with no music in main and scene menus, TV DVD Player, no highlights to use for menu navigation

b. Pink Flowers with former Glass Flowers music now in Pink Tulips main and scene menu, TV DVD Player, highlights there and usable for menu

navigation.

Can you find one of the usable ones that you can customize? If not, I will try to put myself in fast forward to dig into that Glass Flowers .psds.

It is almost 6 pm here. I will see what I can get done on that before midnight today.

ATR

• 13. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                  FrederickToo Level 1

Thank you ATR.   I will use one of the others which I find that will work.  I would appreciate if all the ones in the 'main menu' file would work correctly as the customer has purchased and paid for them. 

Please let me know when they are corrected and a download update is available.    Thanks!

• 14. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

FrederickToo

Thanks for the reply.

I am not employed by or affiliated with Adobe, no insider information. But, I will pursue this on my own.Whatever I find will not be coming from Adobe but me.

I do not remember Adobe ever posting patches for any disc menu corrections.

Please keep a watch on this thread. I will try to have some news on my progress posted here by the end of the coming weekend.

ATR

• 15. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

FrederickToo

I did some work on the Glass Flowers disc menu (started with the set for the DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3) and got the menu's highlights to function as they are supposed to.

To do this, I replaced the highlight layers in the Layers Palette of the main menu and scene menu psd using Photoshop. The replacement used a different highlight shape than the Adobe one. I found that the color of the existing shape was not involved. With my new shape highlight replacement layers in the .psd files, the result looked like the following when ready for the choice of Scene Selection.

GFHighlight.JPG

I did some slight moving around of the objects to make room for the next shape highlights. So, at this moment, I do not know if it was the shape change or the moving

around that was the key to getting these highlights to work. I will fully detail the work in a few days or sooner.

ATR

• 16. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

FrederickToo

I did some more tests on Glass Flowers tonight.

Interesting. I seem to have ruled out size of the shape highlight and moving things around. Problem seems to be point to the highlight layer itself even though it has the correct coding and position with the Layer Set and Layers Palette of the .psd. Need to explore the program being fussy about the shape design itself.

More on this later.

ATR

• 17. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                          Photo and Video Editor

I recently bought Premiere Elements 13 and I experience the same issue with that Glass Flowers disc menu.

Also with the Cinema Journal disc menu. It seems to work fine during the preview in PrE13, but not when burned on DVD discs.

• 18. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Photo and Video Editor

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running? Have you updated 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

As detailed previously, there appears to be a flaw in the highlight layers in the Glass Flower theme .psd files for the main and scene selection menu.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: Glass Flowers Disc Menu Highlights Missing in Playback of DVD-VIDEO on DVD…

But, where are you finding a disc menu in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 by the name of Cinema Journal?

Wherever it is coming from, what are the problems with the playback of the burn to disc product - highlights not working or something else?

And, what is your DVD end product - DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc?

The above information will help me to offer a customized reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 19. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                              Photo and Video Editor Level 1

Hi ATR,

I'm using my Premiere Elements 13.1 on a Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bits) PC.

Maybe the English disc menu name is different. I translated "Bioscoopjournaal" from my Dutch menu.

It could also be translated as: Movie Journal. Please see the screen shot below.

Screen shot.jpg

When playing the DVD I don't see the highlights.

My DVD end product is PAL DVD-Video widescreen on DVD disc.

Kind regards,

PVE

• 20. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Photo and Video Editor

Thanks for the reply. Your Bioscoopjournaal is known to me in the English version as News Reel which is under the Movie Genre category in the Tools Menu/Movie Menu.

I will give that an in depth look within the next few hours and report back.

I have not run into any comments about that theme, but I do not recall using it lately.

We will find out what is happening with it.

Thank you.

ATR

• 21. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Photo and Video Editor

I took a look at News Reel and found multiple serious problems with the use of that Movie Menu theme in the Movie Menu customization area and previewing.

I did not even get to using it in an end product disc yet.  The problems may go as far back as Premiere Elements 10 which shows some working aspects for the theme. So far the obvious issues revolved around

a. button overlap message just opening the theme for the first time

b. highlights that do nothing in the Scene Selection page

In the later morning I will try to figure out how to make the theme useable.

ATR

• 22. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.

ATR

Thank you for investigating it.

I think that Adobe should remove all faulty movie menus until these are fixed.

Last week I already wasted a lot of time and several blank DVD discs when

burning my movies with these faulty menus. I tried several options and each

time I had to use another new DVD disc.

Kind regards,

PVE

• 23. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Photo and Video Editor

The News Reel theme is really bad news in Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

I would not advise anyone to use it in its present state.

I need to investigate the same theme in versions 11 and 12/12.1.

I can get the theme to work in version 10, with some minor adjusts.

But, as of this moment, I cannot transplant the "working" 10 News Reel disc

menu files to 13 and get the theme to work in 13.

The Scene Selection page is particularly flawed.

I will report back after I look deeper into this matter.

ATR

• 24. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

PVE

If you still want to use the Premiere Elements 13/13.1's Movie Menu menu theme News Reel in your project(s), I have found the key to

making it completely usable in 13/13.1. You will need Photoshop CS or higher (or a comparable .psd editor) to fix the problem in the Scene Selection .psd

News Reel seems to have appeared first in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1. It works there. Then it was continued in 10. It works

there also and then again in 11. But the unusable Scene Selection page problem hit in 12/12.1 and 13/13.1.

The most puzzling part of the whole matter was that the 11 News Reel theme files in 13 made the 11 News Reel theme files unusable there. And the 13 News Reel files in 11 were completely usable there.

Should have all the details written up in 24 hours or sooner.

ATR

• 25. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

PVE

The following link gives details of how to make the News Reel Movie Menu theme useable in Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE13/13.1: News Reel Movie Menu Theme Unusable

1. The main menu's overlapping Play Movie button and Scenes button are easily corrected in the Movie Maker customization area

within the project.

2. The Scene Selection page issues are corrected creating a new (%) video layer along with deleting 4 layers for each of the 6 scene buttons in

the Scene Selection page .psd file. Could use Photoshop CS or higher for the job. I used Photoshop 5.1 extended..

It is all described in the link above, screenshots included. If any problems following the details, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will

clarify as needed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 26. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.

Hi A.T. Romano,

Thank you for your investigation and solution!

How can we get this info to the Adobe product developers and managers in order for them to correct their software?

Kind regards,

PVE

• 27. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

PVE

The frequency of the Adobe presence in this forum is not defined although there are hints from time to time that someone at the Adobe Staff

and Adobe PRE_help levels are viewing the user activity here.

The filing of an Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form by lots of users might call attention to the matter.

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Tonight I will create a new thread in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum to point to these Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Movie Menu themes

that require Adobe's attention.

Thanks for bringing the News Reel theme situation forward.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 28. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                                                PRE_help Adobe Employee

Thanks for pointing this out. Issue noted.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 29. Re: DVD player, main menu, cannot select 'play movie' or 'scene selection'.
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Thank you for looking into these Premiere Elements disc menu theme issues that have been reported in this thread by ID FrederickToo and ID Photo and Video Editor.

Glass Flowers

and

News Reel

Appreciated.

ATR

Best wishes

ATR