3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 9:33 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements 13 - Clips won't shift after trimming

Nineball115

Working in PrE 13, after trimming clips on the expert timeline, the following clips stopped shifting for me in the middle of a project. I need them to shift, similar to a ripple edit. Has anyone experienced this? Is there an easy remedy that I'm missing?

• 1. Re: Elements 13 - Clips won't shift after trimming
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Nineball115

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running?

Please elaborate on "the following clips stopped shifting for me in the middle of a project". Does that mean that previously in that project session they were responding one way and then they would not? If you saved closed the project and reopened it, was all back to the way you wanted it?

I am not seeing this trimmed versus untrimmed that you are asking about. I have tried various scenarios.

Are you having Delete and Close Gap Issues? Is your intent to add a clip (video or audio) to an existing Timeline and have the media surrounding

it shift automatically. If possible could you supply a view of your Timeline immediately before you want the shift by an assumed added to the Timeline

content. How much media do you have above and below the site of your point of shift?

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements 13 - Clips won't shift after trimming
            Nineball115 Level 1

ATR,

I'm running on Windows 8.1. Normally, when manually trimming video clips in the timeline, the following clips will shift left or right on the timeline, remaining connected to the clip that I've adjusted. The current project I'm working on allowed this at first, but no longer performs the "shift" or ripple move. I have a fair amount of media on the timeline, and I'm simply making small adjustments. The lack of the automatic shift that once existed has turned the project into a lot of work. After closing and reopening, the issue remains. It could be that I have too much media on the timeline and PrE is bugging out.Not quite sure.

• 3. Re: Elements 13 - Clips won't shift after trimming
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Nineball115

Thanks for the reply.

It could very easily be the project deteriorating because of computer resources and complexity of the Timeline content. But, it might also be the nature of the clips that are now

surrounding your area of interest (content on track above or below or adjacent to). Have you explored that areas of interest before and after the problem set in.

I am not sure how much you would gain from the point of reversing the situation that you are in, but you might try starting a new project to determine if you can get the shifting that you lost in the problem project.

Just be careful that you do not box yourself into a situation where the project will not open. Do you see any other signs of performance deterioration? Is it possible that you are moving faster than the project under those circumstances and not giving the project enough time to respond to your command?

I will be watching for further news in the morning.

ATR