27 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 8:04 PM by hiddenp18268515

Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming

MelindaKraft

Hello all,

Strange issue here that only has started occurring after the latest Premiere Pro CC update. I'm editing a very large feature film project. Lot of files and tons of storage space. I mention this because the issue doesn't seem to occur on smaller project files. The interface will usually be going okay, but if I minimize Premiere and come back into it, suddenly things start lagging like crazy whenever I try to drag a clip on the timeline, trim it, or try to do any modification to it. The UI seems to usually be okay on first launch, it's just after minimizing I get these hang ups and it's making editing absolutely unbearable. Sometimes it will hang for 15-30 seconds whenever I try to simply a move a clip on the timeline. However, when playing back or scrubbing through the timeline, there are no issues at all. Again, it's just when dragging or editing clips.

My system specs:

64gb RAM
      20ish TB RAID (OS and software on SSD)
      Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.10 GHz (12 total cores)
      Nvidia Quadro K4000, 4gb VRAM GPU

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

My project is run entirely off of the RAID array whilst Premiere and the OS itself are installed on the SSDs. Anyone else having these issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
          miller-creative Level 1

Mine too. It frees up again after the slow downs so I push through, but its really annoying when simply moving a clip on a timeline.

It feels like a memory issue. Premiere is so very buggy I find myself with multiple project versions after recovery from a crash. All kept as a just in case.

This is the price to pay for these cloud updates. its just a constant beta app now.

• 2. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
            MelindaKraft Level 1

Glad to know I'm not the only one with the issue, I just wish there was a way around it. Is there any way to roll back your version of Premiere?

• 3. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Melinda,

Sorry to hear about those performance woes.

• How full is the RAID in terms of percentage?
              • How many clips are in the project?
              • Is your Media Cache set to a fast drive?
                • Have you tried clearing the media cache?
                • Have you tried cleaning the media database?
              • Are Preview files set to a fast drive?
              • Do you have the Pushbullet extension for Google Chrome installed?
              • Is Service Pack 1 installed?
              • Have you tried deleting preferences?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 4. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                MelindaKraft Level 1

I've tried all of these, even down to completely uninstalling Premiere and deleting preferences, and reinstalling. I have all the latest Windows updates and drivers, etc. I can also confirm that it doesn't just occur on timelines. For instance, I just moved a sequence into a bin in the media browser, and it took about 5-10 seconds for the interface to unlock after I just did a simple drag and drop operation.

It is not a disk space issue. As I said in the original post, I'm running quite a large RAID array and there's about 5tb free on the RAID, which I'm working off of. My media cache is also set to the RAID.

• 5. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                  MelindaKraft Level 1

I've even tried changing my Windows color scheme to basic. As stated, this only seems to happen after I've minimized Premiere once, and then when I come back into it, I get these issues. I don't know how many clips are in the project, by the way, but it's a lot. As stated before, it's a huge project that worked fine on the previous version of Premiere CC.

• 6. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                    rawweb

I'm experiencing the exact same issue on Pr CC 8.2.0 65 Build (Mac OS X 10.10.1)

My project is also running on a raid array that boasts read/write speeds in the 800MB/s range and has more than 75% of the array as free space. This was not a problem in previous releases. I've even tried loading the footage from scratch in a brand new project, but unfortunately, the issue shows itself pretty quickly. I've allowed Premiere to eat all the system ram, but it has no effect.

Would love a better answer from Adobe on this, especially since I've replicated MelindaKraft's problem on an entirely different platform.

System Specs:

Mac Pro - 3.33 12-Core Intel Xeon

64GB ECC DDR3 Ram

Premiere is on a fast SSD (boot volume), footage is on striped raid 0 array

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - 4096MB

• 7. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                      vanlazarus2013 Level 1

This is the bug that has plagued me for the last 3+ months, ever since 8.1 was released in early October 2014.  I just did some intensive troubleshooting with an engineer at Adobe almost 2 weeks ago, he finally was able to recreate the same symptoms, albeit in a less brutal way to what I and many others are experiencing.  He confirmed this week that their engineers have found the problem and have fixed it.  That being said, this may be more than one bug and the solution might not fix this problem for everyone, but, hopefully, the fix will solve the problem for most people.

The only problem is that we have to wait until the next version release... and it's unknown how long that will be from now.

• 8. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                        ColemanGX

I am experiencing this same problem. I have been working on a feature length documentary for 2.5 years, and in the past 6 months, we have experience terrible sluggishness and playback which is hindering our ability to edit entirely. We missed the deadline for Sundance because of these problems, and they continue to haunt. We have 12 TB of footage.

We migrated the project from Final Cut Pro 7 about a year ago when it became totally unworkable. We've now started a new project in premiere, importing only those necessary sequences needed to move forward. Our project has just reached 45 mb and is become unworkable.

I have been on the customer support lines with Adobe a dozen times and they are unable to diagnose the issue or help me resolve it. I am very disappointed with Adobe and am thinking about moving my business to a more stable platform as this is a very serious problem for us. Costing is 5K-10K in production delays in post-issues.

My machine:

iMac 27inch 5K

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M295X  4096MB

Premiere Pro CC 8.2

Mostly Canon 5D iii footage, but general mixed media including stills.

Combination of H264 and ProRes

Thanks.

Cole

• 9. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                          rawweb Level 1

Cole,

The OP and I found that downgrading to the previous release of Premiere will correct this issue. Sadly, if you've saved your project with 8.2.0 you won't be able to open it in the previous version. You can either use an older save file (if it wasn't too long ago) or export an EDL, OMF or XML of your project and open it that way in the older version. You can download the older version in your adobe creative cloud app by filtering for previous versions.

I've been burned by this pretty bad too, in the future, I think it makes more sense to not upgrade software when you're mid project. I have not heard a viable solution from the adobe team, so...you're on your own like all of us.

• 10. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                            ColemanGX Level 1

Thanks for your response.

I feel silly asking this, but how would I downgrade to the former version?

Can I find it on Adobe's website?

I found a workaround solution that ALMOST worked. I opened After Effects,

and imported the premiere project into AE. I then exported a Premiere

project via After effects. When opening that Premiere Project, it seemed

back up to speed, but then glitching began to occur inside the program and

it became unworkable again.

When we initially created a new project, and imported all of our important

sequences into it, it was working alright, then it slowly became sluggish,

and then totally unworkable. I'm really fed up with all of the duplicate

media it creates; I've had to pay my editor for hours and hours of

"housekeeping" just to clean up the project window.

The program's inability to find offline media intuitively presents further

problems. The lack of media management options is archaic. A simple

spotlight search finds all of my media in milliseconds outside of Premiere

Pro. I wish Adobe and Apple could come to an arrangement. In the meantime,

anyone know of a third party re-linking app that is intelligent and

effective?

Cole

• 11. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                              rawweb Level 1

Cole, this should get you there...I'm going off memory, but I remember I had to tinker a wee bit..

1. In OS X, first uninstall premiere pro from the applications folder

2. Reboot

3. Verify the app is uninstalled

4. Open your application manager, click the 'apps' tab then scroll all the way to the bottom.

5. To the right of "find new apps" you should see a "Filters & Versions' drop down, click that and select 'Previous Version'

6. You should see Premiere Pro 8.0 as an option, install it. This should get you back up and running, screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 2.33.04 PM.png

• 12. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                                chad_littlepage

This is with out a doubt a BUG within Premiere 8.2.0 (65) Build.  COMON ADOBE!!!  I know you're about to add all of these bells and whistles...

I just want Premiere to work and FAST!!!  I never want to be "waiting..... .... .    .     .        .             ." on Premiere.... :/

Please Fix This Bug Adobe!!!

Thanks!

• 14. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                                  chad_littlepage Level 1

What version of Premiere Pro?

Premiere Pro CC 2014.2  8.2.0 (65)

Have you installed the recent updates?

I’ve been on this update since it came out.

What operating system?

OS X 10.10.3.  I had the same issue in 10.10.2.

What kind(s) of source footage? When telling about your source footage, tell us about the codecs, not just the container types.

Sony F55:  XAVC 4K  Example: “A001C001_150406V3.MXF” + Blackmagic Cinema 4K.

https://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/show/highend/pdf/F55_Camera.pdf

If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

None.  Just the spinning beach ball of death.

What were you doing when the problem occurred?

Dragging a clip.  Trimming a clip.  Adjusting the audio level on clip.  When this occurs, in the Program Monitor, it looks as though it thinks I want to “Slip” the clip opposed to moving or trimming the clip.

Has this ever worked before?

In the previous version of Premiere it worked fine.  Even now, if it happens, if you click on a different sequence, move some clips, wait for the beach ball and the clips to move, then go back to your original sequence it will work fine for a while.  This entire bug is intermitent.

What other software are you running?

None while running Premiere.  Occasionally Safari, but this makes no difference.

Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed?

Generates Sapphire.  I’ve tried uninstalling, and still had the same issue with no plus-ins.

Tell us about your computer hardware. Be especially certain to tell us about your GPU, any third-party I/O hardware

MacPro5,1 12 Core 3.46 Ghz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GT 120, Nvidia GTX 980, Samsung 1TB SSD System Drive, Samsung 500GB SSD Cache Drive, Seagate 24TB Internal 4 Drive Raid 0

What kind of GPU do you have installed, including make, model number, and GPU driver?

Nvidia GT 120 1GB, Nvidia GTX 980 4GB, Cuda Driver 7.0.36, Vvidia Web Driver 346.01.02f02

Are you using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration?

Yes

Do you still have the issue when choosing Project Settings > General > Renderer > Mercury Playback Engine (Software Only)?

Yes

Does the problem only happen with your final output, with previews, or both?

All the time!

Screenshots and sample movies are often very useful in showing exactly what you're seeing, and can thus make getting an answer faster and easier.

I can show you on TeamViewer.  When I take a screen shot it doesn't show the fact that my cursor is a Beach Ball! :/

Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 2.36.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-05-11 at 2.37.39 PM.png

DiskSpeedTest.png

• 15. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Melinda,

While you have 5 TB free that means your 20 TB RAID is 75% full.  We do not know anything about your RAID.  What RAID level?  What transfer rates?  What is the connection to your computer, lets hope it is not over a network connection?  What is the controller?  Here is an example of RAID performance versus percentage of fullness.  Notice the significant loss of transfer rate as the RAID becomes full.  And worse yet you have all your project files near the end of this hard drive array.

2-x-2-TB-RAID-0.jpg

I would suggest getting a high performance SSD and working your immediate projects off of it and then archiving it to the now low performing RAID

• 16. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                                      chad_littlepage Level 1

ADOBE PLEASE RESPOND!!!!  I"M BANGING MY HEAD ON THE DESK OVER HERE!!!  I'M ABOUT TO JUMP SHIP!!!

• 17. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming

Hi,

ADOBE PLEASE RESPOND!!!!  I"M BANGING MY HEAD ON THE DESK OVER HERE!!!  I'M ABOUT TO JUMP SHIP!!!

This forum will not guarantee a response from Adobe. You need to contact support, and only base level support is available over the weekend. You can file a case with Adobe Support here: Contact Customer Care. The video techs will be back in the office on Monday. They're closed over the weekend, so it's best to contact them then. Most Adobe employees here contribute on their own free time.

What you might try in the mean time:

• Trash media cache then trash system trash
                                        • Make sure Adobe folder permissions are correct: http://bit.ly/OSX-permissions
                                        • Allocate less memory for Adobe applications in Preferences > Memory
                                        • Trash permissions
                                        • Run disk permissions
                                        • Import your old project into a new project
                                        • Try a new project with different media and see if you have the same problem
                                        • Remove the less powerful GPU
                                        • Set Mercury Playback Engine to Software Only

I'll look back in on this post when I return to the office on Monday, as well.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 18. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                                          ChristianSerge Level 1

I am also having the same issue with trimming. The entire program freezes for 4-5 seconds before responding each time I trim the end of an edit point or clip.

I'm running

Windows 8.1 Pro

Xeon 3.1Ghz

64GB RAM

2x GeForce GTX 680 (4GB total)

Ran find on Premiere 2014. Adobe hit the brakes on our Season. Back to 2014 I suppose.

• 19. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                                            Heavy Digital Level 1

I am experiencing the same issue, ever since the new Premiere Pro CC 2015 update released last week.

I am running Windows 8,1 Professional, all updates installed, on an Asus G751 with 32mb of RAM.

When you drag the edge, the app freezes for a period of time, and it shows dual shots in the program view, which stay for a minute before reverting back (See screenshot)

Never experienced this with the older versions, so this seems to be a bug introduced in the 2015 release.

Capture.JPG

• 20. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming

Hello Christian,

Christian Nelson wrote:

I am also having the same issue with trimming. The entire program freezes for 4-5 seconds before responding each time I trim the end of an edit point or clip.

I'm running

Windows 8.1 Pro

Xeon 3.1Ghz

64GB RAM

2x GeForce GTX 680 (4GB total)

Ran find on Premiere 2014. Adobe hit the brakes on our Season. Back to 2014 I suppose.

Try turning off composite preview during trim in the "wrench" menu.

Thanks,
                                              Kevin

1 person found this helpful
                                              • 21. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                                                ChristianSerge Level 1

Thank you! Is that going to be a process that will be worked on to become faster? ?r is that the nature of the beast in the Trim composite mode?

• 22. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                                                  Heavy Digital Level 1

Happy to report that turning off composite preview in the wrench menu solved this issue for me!

• 23. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                                                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Heavy Digital

I have 8.1 on a G750 and CC2015 (only for one more day) and tried to duplicate your problem without luck.  My system only has SSD drives in it.

• 24. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                                                      chad_littlepage Level 1

I believe this problem has quietly been squashed in 2015.  It was a bug

with 2014.

Start another major project this week in 2015 and will be able to confirm

after I put it though it's paces....

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 5:29 PM, Bill Gehrke <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 25. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming

Thank you! Is that going to be a process that will be worked on to become faster? ?r is that the nature of the beast in the Trim composite mode?

I'll make sure a bug is filed so that it functions as expected in an upcoming version. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,
                                                        Kevin

• 26. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                                                          ChristianSerge Level 1

Thank you. Your suggestion worked. We're running smoothly so far.

• 27. Re: Premiere 8.2.0 UI Very Slow When Dragging or Trimming
                                                            hiddenp18268515 Level 1

Heavy Digital wrote:

Happy to report that turning off composite preview in the wrench menu solved this issue for me!

Can confirm that disabling composite preview solved this in 9.1.0 (174) as well.