5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2015 1:06 PM by Alexander Eberhard

Memory OC - performance increase?

Alexander Eberhard Level 1

I am running the HyperX Fury 4x8GB 1866 MHz.

Does is make sense to increase MHz to 2.000 or even 2.133? Is there any real performance increase?

Also latency drops down with any step. Right now I am running CL 10. I am using PP and AE.

So what is faster, keeping the 1866 at CL 10 or going up to 2.133, but losing CL to 12 or 13?!

Thx in advance.

• 1. Re: Memory OC - performance increase?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are the specs of the rest of your system?

• 2. Re: Memory OC - performance increase?

i7 4970

MSI z97 G43

Gtx 970

3 x 850 pro Ssd

Windows 7 professional

Latest version of CC

• 3. Re: Memory OC - performance increase?
              JEShort01 Level 4

For DDR3 systems used for video editing, generally speaking there is VERY little speed gain past 1600 MHz. (DDR4 is a whole different story, but that's not what you are asking about)

I'd suggest running tests with PPBM at the different memory settings and see what you get.

Too, I can't speak for your particular cpu, motherboard, and CPU OC settings, but when I was really fine tuning a 6-core x58 system the best Premiere Pro performance resulted from pushing the CPU hard and not OC'ing the memory at all. The memory sticks themselves are not the only thing that has to work harder for a memory OC.

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Memory OC - performance increase?
                JFPhoton Level 3

...depending on which NVidia GPU card you have......overclocking its "memory clock" CAN increase performance when the card is IN USE, ( i. e. GPU accelerated effects on the timeline,scaling, etc. ). This would apply to export times, performance on the timeline AND rendering previews, ( if necessary). HOWEVER, users of the new "Maxwell" series of NVidia GPUs...the 970 and 980 are reporting that the new design allows only minimal, if any, overclocking ability. Previous cards DID allow a healthy amount of overclocking. My current laptop, with a 765m NVidia allows a 900Mhz memory overclock to provide a  noticeable increase in performance, especially when exporting GPU accelerated effects laden timelines.

The rest of your system....assuming you are ALREADY overclocking the CPU...appears to be very fast. I am not sure how you have your SSDs configured....some people are using one for OS,programs, and Windows page file ONLY, ( your "C" drive), and then RAID 0ing the other two together for all other files....a "D" drive volume that would have a transfer speed of over 1GB/sec. to feed your media files and all else. I am not sure if there would be any measurable performance difference vs. other SSD arrangements.....you would have to test it at the PPBM7 website.

• 5. Re: Memory OC - performance increase?

Thank you for reply.

When talking about OC, i mean my DDR 3 memory RAM. 32 GB in total. Not my gtx. Sorry to not being that precise. Even though i agree with you, that OC on the new gtx 970 gives you only a little room to tweak. I managed to achieve a 150 mhz boost though.I might push a bit further.

So what you think about RAM OC?