2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 9:51 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere elements 12 lagging/running very slowly, impossible to edit videos

jubgb

Hello, recently I've been experiencing very slow performance from premiere elements, this includes playback, rendering, opening the application and it constantly crashes. It was not that bad of a problem up until about a week ago when I started experiencing severe lagging while editing a video. I thought rendering the video would solve the problem because this has happened before and rendering has solved the problem, unfortunately this time and for the past few days, it hasn't helped at all.

Just some more info:  I use a 64 bit Gateway windows 7 laptop ( I apologize if I don't sound like I know what I'm talking about, I'm a video editor in high school, not a computer programmer) 

Any help would be great, I edit videos for my school district's student news and my school's varsity sports teams so I need this problem fixed urgently.

Thank You!

• 2. Re: Premiere elements 12 lagging/running very slowly, impossible to edit videos
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jubgh

You are communicating just fine.

Let us see if we can get to the core of the Premiere Elements 12 performance issues that you mentioned.

1. Please remind me if you have installed the 12.1 Update for 12. If you have not installed it yet, please do so using an opened project's Help Menu/Update.

2. You say that rendering helped previously. It could be that you have a pile up of preview files in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder in the Adobe Folder.

So let us explore that idea. Please go to that folder and see how much you have in it. (The default is Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0

Every time you do the Timeline rendering of a clip, the project automatically generates a preview file which is stored on the hard drive at the location that you designate in preferences.

Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and the VIdeo Previews choice. For SD project, the file is DV.AVI and for the HD project, the file is MPEG2.mpg (this is the case if the file rendered is a video or a still). Also check out the contents of the Media Cache Files Folder for pile ups of conformed audio files.

The exact location of preview files and conformed audio files (Media Cache) can be found under Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

Also, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database area and hit the Clean button to get rid of pile ups of conformed video files.

3. In the quest for computer clean up, you can consider a run through with the free ccleaner product.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Please let us know what you found and if a clean up improved the performance of computer and Premiere Elements? Based on your reply, we can

decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR