0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2007 6:19 AM by grosvenors

Hierarchical data transfer objects confusing Flex compiler...

grosvenors Level 1
      I just posted this same query on FlexCoders... but then I thought this might be a better target group to ask, so here goes:

We are working on a set of data transfer objects where we have matching server-side java classes and client-side AS classes. Some of these DTO contain lists of other DTOs. As an example:

A.java:
      public class A {
      List<B> blist
      }

In A.as we have...
      class A {
      public var blist : ArrayCollection;

And we have B.java and B.as

Then we have a RemoteObject call to pull down a bunch of A objects....

Here's the problem, Flex does not compile B.as at build-time.

So if B.as has a compiler problem, you never know about it, except that the 'blist' in A never gets populated. If you break down the data transfer and debug it. You find that during RemoteObject call, the blist data comes "down the wire", but as an ArrayCollection generic Objects, they never get turned into instances of Bs...

I am guessing that this is happening because at compile time, there is not direct reference to B in the clientside project. Our covering .mxml wants one or more A objects, and inside A the blist is an ArrayCollection. So the compiler doesn't see a reference to B..

So anyone know how we can fairly seamlessly make sure B.as gets compiled at build time so we'd know of compiler issues with it rather than spending lots of time debugging mysterious null values?

(This appears to happen whether the project is set to compile on the client-side or the server-side. We are using Flex and FDS 2.0.1 and Java 1.5)