0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 9:47 AM by P1965

PE13 questions / opinions

P1965 Level 1

Hello all,

I have been using PE11 / PS11 for over a year and with the great help provided here, along with tutorials, learned a lot about the functions and features of the program that yielded quite nice projects to my satisfaction.  Not to mention the fun with exploring everything these programs can do!

So my questions below are about the latest PE13 version.

Is PE13 basically the same platform with regard to functionality and features, that is - is prior knowledge of PE11 applicable or a new learning curve?

Is it a more stable version - found some issues with version 11 and 8 causing program to shut down.  Interesting note on this, is that PE11 seems to run better on Win8 vs Win7

And basically, what is the general opinion? Is it better overall and worth the upgrade?

Thanks to all,

• 1. Re: PE13 questions / opinions
          A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

If you have a version of Premiere Elements that is compatible with your computer environment and your project goals, then stay where you are.

Premiere Elements 13 like all programs has its set of issues, some resolvable, some more challenging, and some features have been removed

from 13 that you would have found in prior version(s).

Removed features and unsupported file formats | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

I have seen no difference in the performance of this products Windows 7 64 bit versus Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit. Any differences could be attributed

to the level of computer resources on a given computer.

If you are thinking Premiere Elements 13, I would encourage you to look at the free 30 day tryout of the program from Adobe and give it a work out.

You do not have to uninstall your version 11 to do this. Just use one program at a time seems to be the Adobe recommendation when you do that.

We will be watching for your progress. If you need more details on the pros and cons of Premiere Elements 13, please let us know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE13 questions / opinions
            P1965 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for the quick response.  I didn't think of the 30 day trial so I may do that to check it out.  However, from what I read on here I assume it would not be wise to open a existing PE11 project with PE13?

• 3. Re: PE13 questions / opinions
              whsprague Level 4

P1965 wrote:

..... Is it better overall and worth the upgrade?

I upgraded from 11 to 13 for a few reasons.

1.  I keep a "matched set" of Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements and coordinate use of them with Lightroom.   Photoshop Elements had a couple of improvements I wanted.  It now can run in a 64 bit environment and there are improvements in the selection tool.

2.  I have a new camera that needs a more recent version of ACR than available under 11.  It does not seem to be a commonly used feature, but Premier Elements uses ACR if you ever want to make slide shows our use photos taken in RAW formats. 

3.  Version 13 has project and output presets for 4K footage.  Version 11 seemed to work OK when I tested it with 4K clips, but 13 has listed presets.  (My new camera that required the newer ACR version shoots 4K video.)

4.  The shake stabilizer in PrE 13 is advertised to be a significant improvement from previous versions.  My first tests of it suggest it is worth the upgrade all by itself. 

5.  I didn't use the Audio Soundtrack feature much, if any, in 11.  It seems the track choices and functionality are better in 13, but I deleted 11 and can't make a direct comparison or inventory.

None of the other "new" features, many having to do with "social media" or "sharing" with smartphones "through the cloud" appealed to me.   The work patterns, performance and interface seem the same, if not exactly the same.  I've never had an issue with stability on versions 9, 10, 11 or 13.  (I skipped 12.)

Bill

• 4. Re: PE13 questions / opinions
                A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Thanks for the follow up.

There is no guarantee that an earlier version project will open in a later version one. It probably will. So, I would not count that out completely. But, when you try this, important...please

do it with a copy of the earlier version project. Once the earlier version project is edited in the later version program, you cannot open that edited later version project in the earlier version again.

The pros and cons as it relates to your preferred workflows need to be evaluated by you.. Please note the liabilities of the new Shake Stabilizer

a. Resource demanding and time consuming

and

b. Will not stabilize a video whose properties do not match the project preset...this can have implications if you have a Timeline of mixed formats or other project preset - media matching problems.

If this is a major interest for you, please review the Adobe document on the Shake Stabilizer and its recommendations for use which support my caution mention.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Stabilize video footage with Shake Stabilizer

But, all this reflects on the point that I made earlier in my reply to your question...where I suggested you giving the tryout a real workout before making purchase decision.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE13 questions / opinions
                  whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

Please note the liabilities of the new Shake Stabilizer

a. Resource demanding and time consuming and

b. Will not stabilize a video whose properties do not match the project preset...

But it is awesome!

This is my very first test.  It has a "wiggle" at the end I should edit out. 

PrE 13 Shake Stabilizer Demo on Vimeo

• 6. Re: PE13 questions / opinions
                    P1965 Level 1

Thanks to all for the comments.  Good point about using project copies to test the newer version.  That part is easy, being all too aware of unexpected data losses, I already created copies of most projects as a 'just in case', specifically after creating an album opening effect that took an entire weekend to perfect.

As for the video or shake stabilizer, I had only needed to use this feature a couple times but didn't see substantial results. Perhaps I will have better luck in the newer version.

One other question, Is the dual monitor feature any better in PE13?  PE11 wasn't very useful.

Thanks again,

• 7. Re: PE13 questions / opinions
                      whsprague Level 4

P1965 wrote:

One other question, Is the dual monitor feature any better in PE13?  PE11 wasn't very useful.

Thanks again,

Seems to be the same to me. 

• 8. Re: PE13 questions / opinions
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Although your post numbered 6 was marked "in response to another", I believe it was intended for me since I was the one who mentioned copies of the earlier version project.

With that I belief, I am responding to your post numbered 6 where you wrote

For all intents and purpose, it is the same with the same liabilities including problem remembering the dual monitor set up

after the project is saved, closed, reopened. The following are my results from an extensive study of Dual Monitor feature in Premiere Elements 11

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Dual Monitor Workflow Concerns

Preliminary studies with Dual Monitor feature in Premiere Elements 13 suggest the same situation as in 11.

I will update you more on that shortly.

ATR

• 9. Re: PE13 questions / opinions
                          P1965 Level 1

Thank you again,  It's too bad that is has not improved as I would find it quite useful.

• 10. Re: PE13 questions / opinions
                            whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

P1965

Although your post numbered 6 was marked "in response to another", I believe it was intended for me since I was the one who mentioned copies of the earlier version project.

ATR

Damn it!  I'm truly sorry if I "stepped on" you.  Somewhere I got the idea that this was a "community of users" forum.  Have you taken it on as your own territory where others should not participate?