6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2015 2:10 AM by Eugene Tyson

Designer Challenge

DMan23

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to achieve the following -

• Design some sort of document that can be emailed externally
      • Needs to have both txt information as well as video media (ideally a URL link to keep file size down)
      • Needs to be able to open for the majority of users

...orignal idea was interactive PDF with vimeo link - but that's a no go and embedding the video from my desktop makes the file size too large to send. 

A thoroughly deserved pat on the back for anyone who can give me a good solution!

I'm on all the creative cloud if that helps!

Many thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Designer Challenge
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Make it the same way as you send, but don't embed the video into the PDF, but make a link or button with a link to open the video when someone is online, so he can watch that film.

Other possibility is, to export as EPUB3 with fixed layout. You need an actual EPUB reader, like iBooks and you can do the same.

• 2. Re: Designer Challenge
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

All that can easiest be done with HTML only. What should be your main objective: "Needs to be able to open for the majority of users" is then almost 100%. Everything else (PDF, video-in-PDF, video-in-URL) needs a really good mail reader.

Why are you asking this in the InDesign forum? And can you explain how your tags are relevant to your post?

• 3. Re: Designer Challenge
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Designing emails that hold format across all email clients (there are currently around 24) is challenging because they all have different way of handling HTML tags and many do not support CSS styles. Unless you are very fluent with HTML and know the limitations of various email clients an email service like Constant Contact is the way to go.

• 4. Re: Designer Challenge
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rob Day is spot on - InDesign is not the right tool for this at all.

I don't used Constant Contact, but I do use Customer Minds, which I highly recommend.

• 5. Re: Designer Challenge
                  DMan23 Level 1

hi guys,

thanks for the reply, the issue isn't how I facilitate sending out the email - it's how I export the design. 

Dan

• 6. Re: Designer Challenge
                    Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no stable way to export the design for an email campaign.

Email campaigns are built around use of tables, as email readers are very primitive, relatively. Outlook is just a dressed up Word document. And most email readers are basic html interpreters.

You could send it as a PDF or a Fixed Layout EPUB - but that would require a 3rd party app (Adobe reader or epub reader) to open the email shot.

Ideally, you'd want the content to be in front of them when they open the email and not have to download or open another file format.

That's why these things like Constant Contact, Customer Minds, Campaign Monitor, Mail Chimp, etc. exist - as they have built platforms that allow email content to be sent to a variety of email clients (that is programs that open emails like, yahoo, google, outlook, thunderbird, and all the other email applications on the market).

There is no direct export from InDesign - the best thing to do is rebuild your design in the software that's designed for sending out email shots.