4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2015 3:30 AM by doug999

Can't open canon raw files in cs4

doug999

I recently had to rebuild my pc after a problem that stopped a few of my programs working (I'd installed xampp so I could use wordpress on the pc but it stopped cs4, firefox, video studio and a bunch of other stuff working - removal and reinstalling did no use, I had to build a new disc).

I reinstalled cs4 and got all the updates but now I find I can't open can raw files with cs4 or bridge. I tried replacing the Camera Raw.8bi file with the latest file from adobe as per their web instructions but it still doesn't work. So I tried the adobe dng convertor (version 8.3) and ran the files through that, still no luck, I can't open the files.

I could open them wwith canons own software and save as a tiff, but then I'm losing a lot of information.

I'm still running vista home premium - no I can't upgrade to windows 8.1 and use the latest photoshop and lightroom software because 8.1 doesn't work with my nikon scanner or my epson large format printer. It doesn't like a few other items I have either.

I remember I had to download a few files a couple of years ago when I first bought the pc (a whole 3 years ago) as I was having trouble with photoshop and raw files then but I can't remember the name of the file or where I got it from.

Anyone able to help? much appreciated if you can.

• 1. Re: Can't open canon raw files in cs4
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of Camera Raw do you have installed? The latest version compatible with CS4 is Camera Raw 5.7. What happened when you tried to use the DNG converter?

• 2. Re: Can't open canon raw files in cs4
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

but now I find I can't open can raw files with cs4 or bridge.

Canon Raw files from which camera model exactly?

• 3. Re: Can't open canon raw files in cs4
              doug999 Level 1

Hi Jim,

Adobe told me to replace the relevant file, which I did. The trouble is that when I do this then 'camera raw' disappears from the 'help / plugins' list and there doesn't seem to be any way of getting back other than uninstalling and reinstalling cs4, and once I do this it overwrites the files again...

I can't remember having this trouble when I first installed it a couple of years ago but I do seem to remember having to replace a file somewhere but that may have been on an earlier version.

I have an old EOS 5d mk1 & a 7d mk1, so it's not as though the camera is unknown to cs4.

Regards,

Doug

• 4. Re: Can't open canon raw files in cs4
                doug999 Level 1

Hi John,

Adobe told me to replace the relevant file, which I did. The trouble is that went I do this then 'camera raw' disappears from the 'help / plugins' list and there doesn't seem to be any way of getting back other than uninstalling and reinstalling cs4, and once I do this it overwrites the files again...

I can't remember having this trouble when I first installed it a couple of years ago but I do seem to remember having to replace a file somewhere but that may have been on an earlier version.

I have an old EOS 5d mk1 & a 7d mk1, so it's not as though the camera is unknown to cs4.

Regards,

Doug