11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2007 2:25 AM by i_wish_i_knew

SIMPLE (?) Shockwave issue

hollywoodtv
      Hi everyone and thanks for your help.
      I can view my dcr in Internet Explorer with no problems at all.
      But when I have someone at another location try to load my Shockwave file they get this error message:
      --------------

"This shockwave movie has errors that have caused playback problems. Please contact the author of this content regarding this problem. Shockwave is unable to continue."

-----------------
      In Internet Explorer I deleted all my cookies, history and offline files before viewing my online, Shockwave file, and was able to view
      the whole (.dcr) presentation.

Why are people in other locations having error problems with the Shockwave?

Thanks again.
      -Maven
        • 1. Re: SIMPLE (?) Shockwave issue
          Level 7
          > Why are people in other locations having error problems with the Shockwave?

Very difficult to tell without more sensible error messages.
          In order to turn on detailed error messages you need to edit (or create)
          the shockwave.ini file and include the following plain text in it:
          [Lingo]
          DisplayFullLingoErrorText=1

This file needs to go in either 'C:\Documents and
          Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Shockwave
          Player\Shockwave.ini' or 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave
          10\Shockwave.ini' (I'm sorry, I don't remember which - you could try
          placing a copy in both locations
          • 2. SIMPLE (?) Shockwave issue
            hollywoodtv Level 1
            Thanks Sean for your response.

The .dir was first created on the MAC side and then opened on the PC side and published as a .dcr file. I have been told by two people using Safari on the Macintosh that they had no problem running my .dcr file no error messages.

The problem with setting the .ini up locally is that the .dcr works. The .dcr runs online on our server when we access it with our computer. Could the error come from placing "trace( """)" from Flash and Director "put("") statements in the run time of the Lingo and ActionScript code? Can I place the ini file on the server with the .dcr and view the errors outside?
            • 3. Re: SIMPLE (?) Shockwave issue
              Level 7
              > The problem with setting it up locally is that it works.

It's possibly due to an xtra not set to download if needed, but the only
              way to be /sure/ is to have the Shockwave movie that throws error throw
              more _detailed_ error messages like I suggested.

> The .dcr runs online
              > on our server when we access it with our computer.

Suggesting again that perhaps your machine has a required xtra available
              while others don't.

> Could the error come from
              > placing "trace( """)" from Flash and Director "put("") statements in the run
              > time of the Lingo and ActionScript code?

Not likely.

> Can I place the ini file on the server
              > with the .dcr and view the errors outside?

No - it /has/ to be placed where I suggested to be read and used by the
              Shockwave plugin on the local machine.

If it's due to a missing (required) xtra you could uninstall SW from one
              of your machines it works on and load your page. This should trigger a
              SW install. When this successfully completes you could reload your
              page/movie and look for an error message. Assuming one is generated you
              could then close the browser, place the shockwave.ini file where I
              suggested and reload your piece - you should now be presented with a
              more meaningful error message ("this movie requires an xtra that failed
              to initialize..." etc).
              • 4. Re: SIMPLE (?) Shockwave issue
                hollywoodtv Level 1
                Thanks Sean.

You mentioned an Xtra? Was I able to get the complete installation with that Xtra because of different security settings? And why would the .dcr run on the Mac like some people told me outside my network and in another city? I will try to uninstall and then reinstall. Would the publishing of older versus newer versions of Shockwave impact what other people are not seeing?

Thanks again.

Maven
                • 5. SIMPLE (?) Shockwave issue
                  hollywoodtv Level 1
                  I just thought of an idea. My .dcr was being bundled with a file called 3D_progbar.dcr and then referenced in the HTML code's <OBJECT> and <EMBED> tags. I got rid of the references to that file and instead and the SRC points directly to my .dcr instead of the "3D_progbar.dcr."

Is this "3D_progbar.dcr" necessary for a published .dcr with newer versions of Shockwave?
                  Is it the missing Xtra? I still get the loading/progress bar and the presentation works on my machine.

Thanks again

-Maven
                  • 6. Re: SIMPLE (?) Shockwave issue
                    Level 7
                    Look at the Html tab under File -> Publish Settings for the file you're
                    compiling into a dcr - I suspect it's using something here that requires
                    the loader bar file and this may be causing errors if you don't upload
                    it too
                    • 7. Re: SIMPLE (?) Shockwave issue
                      Level 7
                      hollywoodtv wrote:
                      > Could the error come from placing "trace( """)" from Flash and
                      > Director "put("") statements in the run time of the Lingo and
                      > ActionScript code?

Having "put" statements in a Director movie creates what might be considered
                      a memory leak - it uses memory which is not reclaimed until the movie
                      closes. I've never heard of it actually causing a problem.

Andrew

• 8. Re: SIMPLE (?) Shockwave issue
                        hollywoodtv Level 1
                        Thanks Sean and Andrew.

I will consider your ideas and let you know what happens. I did install the 3D-Progbar and reference it in the HTML and will see if the presentation works outside my computer. And I ran the presentation with it on my computer and got this message "Out of Memory while displaying a sprite..." possibly caused by the trace and put statements.
                        • 9. Re: SIMPLE (?) Shockwave issue
                          hollywoodtv Level 1
                          The error still appears even though the reference to the progress bar is now present. I will try the error checking suggested locally.

Thx
                          • 10. Re: SIMPLE (?) Shockwave issue
                            hollywoodtv Level 1
                            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

In order to turn on detailed error messages you need to edit (or create)
                            the shockwave.ini file and include the following plain text in it:
                            [Lingo]
                            DisplayFullLingoErrorText=1

This file needs to go in either 'C:\Documents and
                            Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Shockwave
                            Player\Shockwave.ini' or 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave
                            10\Shockwave.ini' (I'm sorry, I don't remember which - you could try
                            placing a copy in both locations

I created the Shockwave.ini file and placed it in
                            C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave
                            10\
                            but no error message appeared and the presentation ran without problems. I ran the presentation on my desktop.
                            I did see a folder for an older version of Shockwave and deleted it before I ran my .dcr file. The other path you suggested doesn't exist there is no folder on my computer called "Application Data." I have version 10 of the Shockwave Player.

When I try to access my .dcr outside of my computer The very first filled frame in the movie shows up (a .swf) but I cannot proceed past that frame without the error I first mentioned in this thread. That .swf has a button which when pushed moves the player to the next frame in the .dcr movie.

Thanks again

-Maven

• 11. Re: SIMPLE (?) Shockwave issue
                              i_wish_i_knew
                              hey guys and gals,
                              Just a quick question regarding importing already made dcr files into director to minmise length in score and then re publishing the movie?
                              The movie comes out ok exept its missing the already published bits i added to my movie, can anybody help me out at all?