Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error E_IO_CANNOT_OPEN

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2015 Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

i downloaded an ebook and want to add it to my adobe digital edition library to transfer it to my ebook reader. But when i try to add it, this message comes up:

"Fehler beim Abrufen der Lizenz; Lizenzserver-Kommunikationsfehler: E_IO_CANNOT_OPEN"  (i guess in english it's "licence-server communicationerror" or something like that xD)

I already deinstalled and installed the adobe digital edition anew but the error message is still there. Hope you can help me

TOPICS
ADE authorization

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same error.  Check your ebook reader.  I bet you are at capacity.  Remove/archive some books to make room and you should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problems. It's decidetly not the capacity, my ebook reader ist empty and the error occurs when downloading onto the computer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try re-downloading the book.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the root cause:

• Digital Editions attempts to download ebook to temporary file
  • Temporary file (in %TEMP%\Digital Editions) cannot be created because of permissions [1]
  • Digital Editions errors out with a not very helpful "E_IO_CANNOT_OPEN" result

Workaround:

- Reset the NTFS permission of the Temp folder and below to include your user, for example with this approach‌ (using %TEMP% as folder name, e.g.,

takeown /f "%TEMP%" /r

icacls "%TEMP%" /reset /T

)

[1] The permissions for the entire Temp folder have been changed by some program, removing the user from the permission list. This may be an Adobe problem itself, as explained in this post‌‌, but has not yet been verified. Resetting the permissions makes Digital Editions work as expected, until the permissions are changed back again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!AFTER HALF A YEAR OF NOT BEING ABLE TO DOWNLOAD BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2015 Oct 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I've just installed ADE 4.5 but get this error message when I try to open it (ADE)  "Unexpected error

Unexpected error occurs:

E_IO_CANNOT OPEN"

Is this a permission error too? I've just had  Windows 10 installed (by Microsoft) and have had a host of permission problems. I think the issue is that Microsoft did an overlay of 10 on Windows 7 instead of completely uninstalling Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really glad there is a solution to this problem since it seems to much like the common cold (no cure!)

However, I'm not that tech savy and when you say:

- Reset the NTFS permission of the Temp folder and below to include your user, ....

I have no idea how to do this.

Would someone please give me some for Dummies level instructions on how to do this?

It would be so much appreciated!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are awesome!  This worked.  Just typed run from my 'windows square' typed in your commands (including the quotation marks) and next thing I new my Adobe Digital Editions Software was working again.  (I hate Adobe Digital Editions...won't ever buy another book on that software as it SUCKS, but at least I can read to one book I made the mistake of buying on that software).  Thanks so very much!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the idea to check the properties of the temp folder : I just had to cancel its "read only" property. (The two suggested commands had no visible effect and led to the same error message).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, your answer did guide me towards the solution, although the steps provided didn't work for me. Took me a while to figure out why. Let me explain.

The E_IO_CANNOT_OPEN basically means the read/write from PC to Ereader does not work. There can several reasons, with the TEMP-folder being restricted access-wise one them, which can be solved by the above procedure.

In my case (working on corporate laptop) the permission to use datatransfer via USB-ports has been disabled, trying to keep viruses out and prevent/limit theft of confidential data etc.

The solution is then to use a different PC or Laptop on which you have all priviliges (both the read/write of the TEMP folder as mentioned above, but also no limitations on USB communication (I also got a warning when I connected my Ereader to my corporate laptop that there was something wrong with the device; that should have been the clue direct from the start on what the problem was, but it took a few more attempts removing the authentication and registering again before I realised the actual root cause).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does this work for a MAC as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just get a refund from google books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same issue, but a different cause.  The system I looked at had a remapped Documents folder pointing to a network location that was no longer available.  Changing the default Windows Documents folder to an accessible location on the hard drive resolved the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines