4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2015 6:28 PM by clamclaw

Exported images are large in file size but small on screen

clamclaw

LR Example.JPGLR Example 2.JPG

Something has changed in my Export settings and I can't figure it out.  If I insert a file into any application (i.e. PowerPoint, Word, Publisher) that I exported from LR5.7 previous to last week, the images look fine (image of female on left) If I export a new image, the file size is large (10MB), but when I insert it into any application, the image itself is extremely small (image of male on the right). I know it is not the picture itself, because I have tried it with images that have worked in the past that worked and now are experiencing the same issue. If I try to resize it in the program the image itself just becomes very distorted and pixelated. Any thoughts on what is wrong or what I screwed. I also included an image of my LR Export window

• 1. Re: Exported images are large in file size but small on screen
          Bob Somrak Level 5

Maybe Word etc are reading the 5000 pixels per inch setting in the exported file and scaling the file to a small size on in the application.  Change it to 200 or something and see what happens.  I didn't test this so this may not be the right direction to solve the problem.

• 2. Re: Exported images are large in file size but small on screen
            clamclaw Level 1

Thanks for the help.  That worked

• 3. Re: Exported images are large in file size but small on screen
              richardplondon Level 4

You have set your PPI (resolution) to 5000 pixels per inch. This does not affect the actual number of pixels contained in the image, but it can affect what happens to the image when it is brought into some applications - mainly, applications where the image is being placed onto some kind of a page.

In particular, with "desktop publishing" type programs, the application assumes that the stated physical size of the image (which is notionally calculated from the number of pixels in the image, combined with the PPI setting) has been "intended". And what you see within the program may not be the actual image, but instead a preview image made for some standardised PPI resolution.

To take a specific example: if you export a 5000px wide photo, and you set 5000ppi, and place it within a page layout program, that program will be thinking of it as a one inch wide image. If it makes a preview image for its own working purposes at 72ppi, then this preview will accordingly be 72 pixels wide - and will therefore look much cruder than your 5000px wide original would have done, as you manipulate this previewed image on screen.

On the other hand, if you export a 5000px wide photo, and you set 50ppi, and do everything else the same - the application will be treating this not as a 1" wide image, but as a 100" wide image, and its preview image (through this difference alone; remembering, the image file is unchanged except for the PPI setting) will in that case, be 7200px wide instead of 72px wide. And you will see every detail of the photo, whether that is appropriate or not... and the publication's saved file size will be much bigger, and it may be slower and more inconvenient to work with due to the sheer number of pixels in this preview,

The usual advice is perfectly correct, that if you have not set a physical size for your export (in inches or centimetres) then the PPI setting is not doing anything so far as the number of pixels in the exported image. But as you have discovered, it may still be a good idea to set this to some more moderate figure - and one very common convention for this, is 300ppi.

RP

• 4. Re: Exported images are large in file size but small on screen
                clamclaw Level 1

Thanks for all the advice on this.  This is very helpful