5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2015 2:09 PM by A.T. Romano

Auto Smart Tone no longer changes the image (custom mode) when I click on the sample corner image

davidalankordik

I open a new project in Adobe Premiere Elements 13 APE13 and add a raw data file (converted movie).  I trim the frames I don’t want out and then click on Auto Smart Tone so that I can correct the problems with the film clip. I choose custom and Adobe opens the screen with the 4 small sample picture images in the corners of a frame. I notice that there are 2 messages in the upper left corner.  “Your clip has been divided into visually similar Scenes.” And “Auto Smart Tone has already corrected all of your Scenes.  You can fine tune the results if needed, and Auto Smart will learn from your adjustments.” When I click on any of the four corners the grid in the middle comes up and moves to the corner selected.  The picture in the middle does not change.  I couple of projects back I did the same thing and the frame/scene changed to look like the image in the selected corner. I like the results I saw in the corners and clicking on them and moving the like cursor in the grid allowed me to adjust the image slightly.  Why, is this now not working? Is it because AST is automatically setting the new film to the old settings (why I get the message that it has already corrected the scene)?  I don’t want the auto correction.  How do I get rid of the corrections to allow this feature to work as it did in the past?

• 1. Re: Auto Smart Tone no longer changes the image (custom mode) when I click on the sample corner image
          A.T. Romano Level 7

davidalankordik

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

Have you explored Edit Menu/Preferences/General and the button at the bottom for of that category of preferences - "Clean Auto Smart Tone Learning"?

What are the properties of your source files, before and now? Same format and conditions as previously used in this Adjust?

More later on this in the morning.

ATR

Add On...According to Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Editing frames with Auto Smart Tone

automatically is associated with hitting Apply instead of custom...

• 2. Re: Auto Smart Tone no longer changes the image (custom mode) when I click on the sample corner image
            davidalankordik Level 1

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?  Dell Vostro, i5 CPU M520 2.40 GHz,, Windows 7 Pro SP 1 64 bit OS with 8 gb of memory

Have you explored Edit Menu/Preferences/General and the button at the bottom for of that category of preferences - "Clean Auto Smart Tone Learning"?

Yes, I found this and really thought this would help but it did not. When I got back the short clip was still corrected even though the Learning was cleared (but that does make sense that is wasn't).

What are the properties of your source files, before and now? Same format and conditions as previously used in this Adjust?

Created:   Saturday, November 29, 2014, 3:09:02 PM

Modified:  Saturday, November 29, 2014, 3:55:22 PM

Accessed: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 3:09:02 PM

These dates are when I picked up the movies (.mov format) from the company that made them out of 16mm film.

I did not touch them for a couple of weeks.  I always used these as a starting point for my projects.

The project that AST worked on was done around December 18, 2014.

More later on this in the morning.

ATR

• 3. Re: Auto Smart Tone no longer changes the image (custom mode) when I click on the sample corner image
              A.T. Romano Level 7

davidalankordik

Just a "just to be sure" question to make sure I have included all your details....

In your present project with the Auto Smart Tone concerns, can you still import and use that project's Auto Smart Tone feature in conjunction with a file that worked with this feature in an earlier project?

ATR

• 4. Re: Auto Smart Tone no longer changes the image (custom mode) when I click on the sample corner image
                davidalankordik Level 1

No I cannot use the AST feature on a previously imported file or on a previous project (but those projects successfully implemented AST.  I even created a brand new test project, imported it but the AST does not work like it use to.

• 5. Re: Auto Smart Tone no longer changes the image (custom mode) when I click on the sample corner image
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

davidalankordik

Thanks for the reply with the interesting yet troublesome current situation.

If the old will not do what it was doing presently, let us try the following first, that is, deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Pref file, and, if that does not work, the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists...in your Windows 7 64 bit

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. And, if that does not work, then delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists.

Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives disabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

Please let us know if the above impacted the Auto Smart Tone interaction with your files brought into it.

Another, sort of way out thought, make a copy of one of your files (one from good before but not now, and one from newer batch with just the bad) and rename the copy of each.

Import the newly named files in the feature and observe the results.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR