14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2015 7:44 AM by A.T. Romano

Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?

chrisd97246813

I rotated a clip due to faulty attachment of my helmet cam.  Is there a way to crop the video clip after rotating it 4 degrees?  I would hate to lose this footage, but I cannot use it as it is.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

chrisd

Please remind us - what version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Could you elaborate on the specific issue that you run into after the 4 degree rotation...black borders or something else?

Could you show a screenshot of the rotated image that is unacceptable to you,

Does a slight zoom in applied to the clip resolve any of the issue?

Please try...

With only a 4 degree rotation, drag the crop effect into the video clip and edit the crop (See effects/transform/crop and Properties area or Applied Effects area depending on your version.)

But remember....

Left is now Bottom

Top is now Left

Right is now Top

Bottom is now Right

If you supply the version/computer information asked for, I can be more specific on the how to.

ATR

• 2. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
            whsprague Level 4

chrisd97246813 wrote:

...  Is there a way to crop the video clip after rotating it 4 degrees?  ..

On my computer, I can select the clip in the timeline and then click in the preview window.  A box shows up with corners that can be dragged as needed.  Capture.JPG

• 3. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
              chrisd97246813 Level 1

Yeah, but when I publish, it comes out crooked...

It looks great in premier, but not after its exported....sigh.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
                whsprague Level 4

I tried a clip on my computer and it worked.  My input footage was 1920x1080p60.  At output I selected the AVCHD section and picked a 1080p30, pushed the Advanced button and then pushed the Match Source button. 

So you've got a combination that does not work and I have one that does. 

Now I'm curious.  If you want to send the clip via dropbox or something, I can give it a try. 

Bill

• 5. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

chris

As I mentioned in post 1 of this thread, zooming in after your video rotation was one solution to the task that you wanted to accomplish.

When that rotated/zoomed in video was exported to file saved to the computer hard drive, the export should have maintained what you saw in the Edit area

monitor preview. I have road tested this and that is what I found.

But you say that is not the case when you tried it. I am confident that we can find the why not in your case without having to send any files here. What do you mean

by "but when I publish, it comes out crooked"? Do you mean that somehow it lost the rotation or something else?

1. What is your project preset? If you do not know, please tell us what you see for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio

under Edit Menu/Project Settings,/General.

2. What was your choice under Publish+Share/Computer/ choice and preset? Did you customize the preset or use the default settings.

By the way, what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

If any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Thanks

ATR

• 6. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

chris

Add On to my prior posts in your thread 1 and 5.....does the following display the crooked look that you said your export had?

Capture.JPG

Here the plane of the red line is still straight (via rotating/scaling in Edit), but now in export you have diagonal transparent areas at top left and bottom right of the frame.

The above was obtained by exporting a 16:9 Timeline with a 4:3 export setting. So, if that is the look that you call crooked, then please post the details

already requested in post 5 so that you can suggest the appropriate export settings in detail.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
                      chrisd97246813 Level 1

Premiere 13.

Yes, it looks great in Premiere because I can stretch the box to cover the viewing area (cropping it as far as I can see).  I was hoping that publishing it would only use the viewed area from 13....however, it renders a picture much like post #6.

• 9. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

chris

If your export looks like the screenshot in post 6, then please write your Publish+Share settings in a reply to confirm your present situation.

Publish+Share

Computer

and then what?

MPEG

AVCHD

XAVC-S

AVi

Windows Media

QuickTime

Audio

You might only be seeing MPEG, AVCHD, and XAVC-S in the list because the other are hidden from view. You need to use the small scroll bar to the right of the choices to scroll down to the ones beyond XAVC-S.

If you select MPEG and do nothing but accept the first choice of Presets which is NTSC DVD Standard, then you are going to get a 4:3 export. Under those circumstances, you have a 16:9 project setting, then you are going to get the type of result that you are seeing in post 6.

If you are doing that, then look at the MPEG Presets = NTSC DVD Widescreen, do your export, and let us know if all is OK.

Do you have any special receipt requirements for the export? With further information from you, I will help you with the export setting appropriate for your project and maintaining what you are created in the edit area.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
                          chrisd97246813 Level 1

First, let me thank you for the responses!  I am truly grateful for the help.

The video is for a motovlog and my intent is to upload it to YouTube.  Basically it is narrated footage of me riding my motorcycle.  I am trying to redo the export with new settings, I will update here when the process is complete.  I chose MPEG, NTSC DVD Widescreen as you suggested.  We will see how it goes!

• 11. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
                            chrisd97246813 Level 1

I still have the same issue.  MY export is uncropped.  I can see the whole image and it has the rotation on it.  I wish I could just export what I am seeing in Premiere...I don't understand why there isn't a crop function on the same screen as the rotation function.

Sigh.

• 12. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
                              chrisd97246813 Level 1

I am now trying the AVCHD 1080-30.

• 13. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
                                chrisd97246813 Level 1

Actually worked this time!  Thanks! 

I will be much more careful with my camera placement next time!

• 14. Re: Is there a way to crop a video clip after I rotate it?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

chrisd

Thanks for the follow up. Glad that you obtained the final product that you sought.

As your schedule permits, could you go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General of this particular project and tell us what you see there for

Editing Mode

Timebase

Frame Size

Pixel Aspect Ratio

even if the fields that you are looking at look grayed out.

You have already said that you tried MPEG, NTSC DVD Widescreen 16:9 to explore the possibility of a 16:9 import 4:3 export choice instead

of a 16:9 import 16:9 export choice. That information would be important to all.

Thanks again.

ATR