6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2007 4:32 PM by Newsgroup_User

Director vs. Authorware

laschingert
      I am a graphic designer who prefers to stick with print design, but the company that contracted me to design text books for the curriculum they wrote now want to market these courses. One of the avenues they want to pursue is CD-ROMs. I used Director once about 5 years ago in a class. I heard that Macromedia Authorware was a program that a lot of people use to create CD-ROMs. Has anyone used both of these and have a recommendation of what is a better program.
        • 1. Re: Director vs. Authorware
          Ex Malterra Level 1
          authorware is geared towards creating training pieces. director is general purpose multimedia. i've used both, and would actually prefer creating training with director to be honest. so i'd advise going with director.
          • 2. Re: Director vs. Authorware
            Level 7
            I've used both to and would prefer Director in any cases

"Ex Malterra" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:es02q2$mh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > authorware is geared towards creating training pieces. director is general
            > purpose multimedia. i've used both, and would actually prefer creating
            training
            > with director to be honest. so i'd advise going with director.
            >

• 3. Re: Director vs. Authorware
              Level 7
              I've used both, and would rather lie on a bed of nails than use Authorware.

"Orest" <jorg.mann@gmx.de> wrote in message
              news:es3s4p$j62$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > I've used both to and would prefer Director in any cases
              >
              > "Ex Malterra" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              > news:es02q2$mh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> authorware is geared towards creating training pieces. director is
              >> general
              >> purpose multimedia. i've used both, and would actually prefer creating
              > training
              >> with director to be honest. so i'd advise going with director.
              >>
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Director vs. Authorware
                Level 7
                btw, I thought Authorware was pretty cool around Version 3 and 4. I was
                actually one of the main beta-testers on the original port to Windows in ver

"tr" <timmr3-nospam-@excite.com> wrote in message
                news:es4rno$s50$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > I've used both, and would rather lie on a bed of nails than use
                > Authorware.
                >
                > "Orest" <jorg.mann@gmx.de> wrote in message
                > news:es3s4p$j62$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> I've used both to and would prefer Director in any cases
                >>
                >> "Ex Malterra" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                >> news:es02q2$mh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >>> authorware is geared towards creating training pieces. director is
                >>> general
                >>> purpose multimedia. i've used both, and would actually prefer creating
                >> training
                >>> with director to be honest. so i'd advise going with director.
                >>>
                >>
                >>
                >
                >

• 5. Re: Director vs. Authorware
                  laschingert Level 1
                  What about Flash vs Director for an eLearning piece. I think now we are leaning towards putting the course online and they can download it after they pay for it. And we may also make a couple CD-ROMs of it too. Based on that, is Flash or Director better?
                  • 6. Re: Director vs. Authorware
                    Level 7
                    It depends what you mean by download. If you want them to run it in the
                    browser then flash would most likely be the better way to go. If they
                    download an exe that runs by itself on the computer, then it could go either
                    way and may be just a matter of what your more comforatble developing with.

If it's running in the browser, you can later use a Director shell and load
                    the swfs into them or make Flash Projectors.

Timm

"laschingert" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:esps3s$ic5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > What about Flash vs Director for an eLearning piece. I think now we are
                    > leaning
                    > towards putting the course online and they can download it after they pay
                    > for
                    > it. And we may also make a couple CD-ROMs of it too. Based on that, is
                    > Flash or
                    > Director better?
                    >