3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2015 4:48 PM by gener7

OT:  Google Reverse Image Search

Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Not strictly Photoshop related, and probably old news, but I only discovered this yesterday.  I've tried Tin Eye in the past but found nothing.  Then I saw a discussion about Google reverse Image search in a PetaPixel article about people 'borrowing' your images yesterday, and gave it a go.  The result astonished me, but maybe I am naïve.  More than a dozen of my pictures used without permission or credit, and many more used still without permission, but with a credit.

Some are cheeky beyond words, like this wine company.  Those vines are across the road to my house, and nothing to do with Misty Cove wines

Misty Cove Wines

The second MX rider is mine
      http://extremesportsx.com/2013/05/31/motocross-gear-has-come-a-long-way-since-its-begining s/

My Giant Weta behind the news reader is mine.  What the heck?!

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/international/2014-04-04/nz-program-finds-new-habitat-for -giant-weta/1291084

#22 the rodeo image is mine

http://www.movoto.com/id/moving-to-magic-valley/

You'll get the idea, so I won't go on (although there are a couple of dozen at least.

It is incredibly fast.  Open the search in one window, and your online images in another, and just drag them across (Note: dragging does not work where they use what I am guessing is Flash to embed the images).  It never takes more than a second.  How on earth do they do that?   So have you had any pictures borrowed?

• 1. Re: OT:  Google Reverse Image Search
          Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

That is fascinating. None of my current stuff has been taken but I'm just an enthusiast, so... 

The last link you posted, I noticed the author at least gave you credit. Still, kind of odd you weren't notified if that was the case. The others? Yeah. That's just wrong. If it's any consolation, the Misty Cove website design sucks; it simply doesn't show properly in my browser. (Chrome.) 

• 2. Re: OT:  Google Reverse Image Search
            gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just one of mine. Years ago I had scanned a Japanese electrical outlet as reference for an Electricians forum.

Later in a Wikipedia reference, I found the picture where the culprit did a sloppy brush edit job on the frame to obscure the maker, but I could see where it looked an awful lot like the one I uploaded. It was later removed.

I don't know how much of a hassle it is to request a removal.

Photo hosting sites will let any member post without question, but if the owner sees it, he or she has to give ID and other proof that it's theirs.

Gene

• 3. Re: OT:  Google Reverse Image Search
              gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On the other side of the coin Getty Images was infamous for sending out demand letters to anyone using their images, usually to someone who had their web design done in another country where the designer did not care where they pulled the images from.

I wonder if Getty was slapped over that tactic. I don't hear about it anymore.